Home

Nearly impossible to hit two straight 3's in a row

This is a discussion on Nearly impossible to hit two straight 3's in a row within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-13-2015, 11:34 PM   #65
Pro

manu1433's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Nearly impossible to hit two straight 3's in a row

Just did some math. I looked at the top 40 players in makes of both open 3's and open jumpers from 8-16 feet and here is what I found:

The average open 3 point shooter shoots about 39.5%

The average open shooter from 8-16 feet shoots about 46.3%

I feel the game does a pretty good job of reflecting 3's and not mid range jumpers.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-14-2015, 12:00 AM   #66
Pro

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by manu1433
I added on some stats to the end of that post if you'd like to check them out. Figured you might be interested.
This is the reason why I did not mention players like Korver's incredible 50% from 3pt land last year.

The percentage of made threes can wildly vary due to a number of reasons. For example, if someone does not take alot of threes and is a good 3pt shooter, their percentage will be abnormally high. Just because Babbitt has a higher season average than Curry doesn't mean he's better from 3 than Curry is nor suggests that he should make 50% in game. Anyone can flip a coin 5 times and get heads 5 times. It doesn't mean it accurately portrays the actual realistic percentage of getting a heads (which is 50%, not 100%, which someone might infer if they flipped a coin and got all heads).

The reason why I used Curry is because he took a very large amount of 3s last season, so his averages are better at telling the story.

The 3pt mechanics should be based around a player's average ability because that's what the player performs like most nights. Those amazing outlier nights where a 3pt shooter goes 70% is because they are in rhythm/hot.

2k already has a hot/cold system in place that accounts for abnormal performances. Every once in a while, you are going to have a game where your 3pt shooter drains 2 in a row, becomes warm, drains another, become hot and then ends the game at 70% from three.

But in general, elite shooters should play like the averages suggest. Which is around 35%. Good 3pt shooters should be even lower.

Thanks for directing me towards your editted post, I looked at the stats you posted.

Last edited by takki; 10-14-2015 at 12:04 AM.
Old 10-14-2015, 01:19 AM   #67
Rookie

Well this doesn't seem to be an issue in MyPark anymore. Played a game earlier and some dude hit 4 3s in a row. Like most people, I was surprised the 2nd went in but the 3rd and 4th went in too. I even hit 2 3s with a standing 3 of 71. They weren't in a row but that put my total made 3s in MyPark to 4...
Old 10-14-2015, 01:20 AM   #68
MVP

KyotoCarl's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy59
The comeback cheese has been around since 2k14. Ronnie himself admitted that the matches were 50/50 therefore it was not competitive. The game would force you to get turnovers/miss and the opposing team would be on fire until they catch up. 2k15 was a bit better but only at disguising it, they were a bit more discreet. Judging by the comments I don't think im going to play 2k16 online until this is fixed. I want a competitive game where the best man can win. Not where momentum shifts control the game.
When did he say it was 50/50? That sounds very unlikely.
That would mean my record would be more or less 50 wins 50 losses in total?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

My thoughts on how replays should be handled:
http://www.operationsports.com/Kyoto...plays-replays/
Old 10-14-2015, 02:09 AM   #69
Pro

manu1433's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by takki
This is the reason why I did not mention players like Korver's incredible 50% from 3pt land last year.

The percentage of made threes can wildly vary due to a number of reasons. For example, if someone does not take alot of threes and is a good 3pt shooter, their percentage will be abnormally high. Just because Babbitt has a higher season average than Curry doesn't mean he's better from 3 than Curry is nor suggests that he should make 50% in game.

Thanks for directing me towards your editted post, I looked at the stats you posted.
Luke Babbit hit 34/65 with no defenders within 6 feet of him

Steph Curry hit 47/125....he had to take twice as many 3's to hit 13 more

Kyrie Irving hit 34/93

in my opinion, what you are actually overlooking, is that it is a whole lot easier for players who play off the ball like Luke Babbitt, Kyle Korver, Danny Green, etc to get an open shot as opposed to somebody like Curry.

Curry ranked 40th in wide open 3's made last season. When he actually is open, he had to work his butt off to get there.

If you look at the top 25 players who make the most open 3's, they are all primarily off the ball players for the most part. The exceptions are Brandon Knight and Vasquez who both are combo guards.

The only ball dominant players to crack the top 50 are Teague (43rd), Curry (40th), Paul (32nd), and Lillard (26th).

I honestly specifically chose the top 40 in makes for because the site is auto sorted that way and I'm not sure how to change it.

Also, I think guys just don't have as many wide open 3's as one would expect either. I know I expected larger numbers.

For example. I already stated that Curry hit 47 wide open 3's last year and is ranked 40th....that's only 17 more than LaMarcus Aldridge (30/66) who ranked 105th.

I honestly don't believe Curry's large sample is skewing the %'s that much at all. For whatever reason, he was just not as good as a lot of other players at hitting open 3's when he was open.

Last edited by manu1433; 10-14-2015 at 02:12 AM.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:15 AM   #70
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by manu1433
For example. I already stated that Curry hit 47 wide open 3's last year and is ranked 40th....that's only 17 more than LaMarcus Aldridge (30/66) who ranked 105th.

I honestly don't believe Curry's large sample is skewing the %'s that much at all. For whatever reason, he was just not as good as a lot of other players at hitting open 3's when he was open.
Chances are, Curry is taking some open threes off the dribble, possibly in transition. Another reason is that he's probably not shooting his open ones from the corners as much as a lot of spot up and off ball players.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:35 AM   #71
Banned

Yesterday I played 6 games online and finally hit two in a row one game with Klay. He had good looks both times. And that's all I asked for. Some of u stat guys is over doing it with the stats. Look, nobody is saying I want guys going crazy on 3 and hitting 3, 4, 5 in a row. Just once in a while I would like to see a player knock a few down back to back if he's open and set. Prior to yesterday, I would never see that sequence. And that's my issue. I don't like absolutes, meaning I don't want a game program with hidden restrictions that says you can't hit a few 3s in a row because of some code. If I'm playing someone online with bad defense I would like to be able to punish them. And if I'm executing, give me the results I deserve. If u got restrictions like that in a game, then how long before the online community figures that out and purposedly start leaving guys open to double team because he knows the guy just hit one and won't hit another.

Last edited by MadManCometh; 10-14-2015 at 07:38 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-14-2015, 08:05 AM   #72
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

OVR: 26
Nearly impossible to hit two straight 3's in a row

My thing is, during the course of a game, if a guy can get really hot and into a good groove, he CAN sometimes hit 2 or even 3 three point shots consecutively.

Most of us know the stats, we know that's not the norm, we know about 44% wide open shots blah blah blah, but seriously, cool it with the stats.

If Klay Thompson went off on you for 37 in a quarter in NBA 2K, you guys would be crying foul saying real life stats say that shouldn't happen so 2K should tune the shooting.

Stats are cool and all, but don't act like guys don't get hot and hit consecutive threes in real life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »