Home

CHALK -TALK.. Understanding the PLAYBOOK

This is a discussion on CHALK -TALK.. Understanding the PLAYBOOK within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-14-2015, 07:13 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 17
CHALK -TALK.. Understanding the PLAYBOOK

Ok... so its important to understanding your PlayBook more than ever this year to create space and opportunity for scoring since one on one is much more difficult. That being said I have always been good at selecting one or two good place for each player this year I need to learn more. I understand some of the terminology such as punch is for low post play or horn is for a high pick n roll. Quick is a lot of time for a quick pic from the low post. But what are the numbers for for example A tri wing 24.? Or a Base 35?
I am glad I got the Buell- I love riding it, I love the oddball looks I get on the road- I love people asking "What IS that thing?" I love flying into a corner WAY too hot, scared spitless and sure I'll never hold it at this speed- and hearing the bike whisper "Sissy!"...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-14-2015, 07:17 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: CHALK -TALK.. Understanding the PLAYBOOK

Nice thread. I would like to know more about playbook terminology as well.

Just FYI, I think the "quick" plays are usually a 3 PT play
Old 10-14-2015, 07:24 AM   #3
MVP

Also how many prefer to use the individual plays vs off strategies (freelance- flex)?...
I am glad I got the Buell- I love riding it, I love the oddball looks I get on the road- I love people asking "What IS that thing?" I love flying into a corner WAY too hot, scared spitless and sure I'll never hold it at this speed- and hearing the bike whisper "Sissy!"...
Old 10-14-2015, 07:28 AM   #4
Rookie

drewwright's Arena

OVR: 0

I prefer to do a Mix of Freelance 3-2, 4-1, 3-2 Extended, High or Normal P&R or Fade and running 2k smart play or Iso and cut, keeps the defense guessing.
New York Knicks
Old 10-14-2015, 08:41 AM   #5
MVP

Okay so explain what a 3-2 extended is? And a mix as opposed to freelance? Everyones basketball terminology is different so enlighten us
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-14-2015, 10:26 AM   #6
MVP

LorenzoDC's Arena

OVR: 3

To understand play names, start here:

Old 10-14-2015, 10:36 AM   #7
MVP

LorenzoDC's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaaaazuuuuup
Okay so explain what a 3-2 extended is? And a mix as opposed to freelance? Everyones basketball terminology is different so enlighten us

By "mix" he just means he changes his freelance set a few times during a game - I do this too because the defense will adjust to what you run and start jumping your passing lanes unless you change it up, at least on All Star and above.

For a quick and dirty overview of the freelance options, check this out.

3-2 extended is a system Czar put in this year as a variation on the standard 3-2 set. It extends the floor a bit and gives some different wrinkles on player actions. I haven't tried it myself yet.

Last year 3-2 was good but it did need to add some space at times once the action got clogged. You can do that in your standard 3-2 by using space the floor instead of motion cuts, but then your teammates won't take any actions to set screens or get open.

That's fine if you just want to run manual PnR or Iso, but in cases where you want the benefits of more floor space in a 3-2 and player action and motion, 3-2 extended would be a good way to go. Probably good for a team with good post up players at 4 and 5 and at least two very good 3 point shooters at the 1, 2 or 3.

Freelance offense is so deep this year there's no one resource yet to really show you through it all. Just be patient and try to learn how to use one or two that you like to start.

You should also get to understand how to initiate action within most of the systems. There are some key spots on the court to start them off with a pass. Check this out for that orientation:

Last edited by LorenzoDC; 10-14-2015 at 02:20 PM.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:42 AM   #8
MVP

Thanks for the video Lorenzo!

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »