Home

The fake turnovers in this game need to be addressed

This is a discussion on The fake turnovers in this game need to be addressed within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-16-2015, 12:30 AM   #25
Rookie

jackzagal's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: The fake turnovers in this game need to be addressed

Yeah, those stupid TO happen a lot, and it needs to be addressed, icon passing shouldn't lead to those situations. It's true that Ross is already moving, but the pass definitely shouldn't go all the way to Kobe's spot, and much less if it's an icon pass.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-16-2015, 01:22 AM   #26
Banned

These turnovers happen because you are trying to do something.

1st video: Player isn't posted up. You (the user) have no way of knowing what the player will do next. Will he post up? Or will he run away?
This happens when not running plays. The only save way to pass to the post in that situation is running a quick post up.

2nd video: Ross isn't watching you. He is moving to the right. I have no clue what he is trying to do, but he is moving away from the ball and he is not watching you. He does not raise his hand. He does not stand somewhere. He does not expect to get the ball. What should have happened: You throw the ball out of bounds without Ross ever noticing the pass.

These turnovers are very annoying. But crazy good passing is possible if you know what a player is doing (as opposed to guessing). This year the offense is constantly running plays (freelance motion). If you do not know exactly who is expecting the ball and who is (or will be) moving to a certain spot, these turnovers will pile up to insane amounts. This stops in "space the floor" and when running your own plays.
Old 10-16-2015, 07:34 AM   #27
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazmacats
These turnovers happen because you are trying to do something.

1st video: Player isn't posted up. You (the user) have no way of knowing what the player will do next. Will he post up? Or will he run away?
This happens when not running plays. The only save way to pass to the post in that situation is running a quick post up.

2nd video: Ross isn't watching you. He is moving to the right. I have no clue what he is trying to do, but he is moving away from the ball and he is not watching you. He does not raise his hand. He does not stand somewhere. He does not expect to get the ball. What should have happened: You throw the ball out of bounds without Ross ever noticing the pass.

These turnovers are very annoying. But crazy good passing is possible if you know what a player is doing (as opposed to guessing). This year the offense is constantly running plays (freelance motion). If you do not know exactly who is expecting the ball and who is (or will be) moving to a certain spot, these turnovers will pile up to insane amounts. This stops in "space the floor" and when running your own plays.
This is completely not true.

I've had my share of these cheesy plays, and in all of them, the receiver changes direction to allow for the steal.

Most common is when I'm on a fast break, fading towards the corner 3. I ask for a pass, and suddenly I'm cutting towards the basket, allowing for an interception. That's not what I was doing, and completely out of my control.

It also works the other way too, when I'm doing the passing. They just completely change their direction to allow the interception.
Old 10-16-2015, 08:41 AM   #28
Banned

What stood out to me as much if not more than the funky turnover was watching Lowry's terrible transition defense..

Funky turnovers happen all the time and it's about 20% the users fault 10% it being a game and 70% 2k taking themselves too seriously.

The amount of times I'll find guys deciding to cut or run like a gazelle when I make a fairly easy pass or they enter in a 'struggling to lose the ball after catching' animation or the cpu becomes psychic and intercepts it just ruins the game sometimes.

It's like you can never be fully satisfied with a match because something extra funky ALWAYS happens that heavily influences a run/ending a run and the end result.

Plus if you are calling for a post up, your guy should be aggressively trying to post, especially on a smaller guy, not dance around for half the shot clock.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 10-16-2015, 11:56 AM   #29
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnbelievablyRAW
But what I'm saying is that that is not how the game should be

A player shouldn't press pass to a guy who is stationary at the time of the input, who starts running off as the pass is in motion to cause a turnover. I don't see how this should be chalked up to user error and not a problem with the game
I'm not arguing that's how the game should be and that these issues shouldn't be looked at, but at the same time, I think you need to understand that these are programs and not actual people out on the court. Despite how far we've come in terms of AI, we can't replicate human intelligence in video games. In a sport like basketball, which is so free flowing, there are going to be times when the computer isn't going to read and react to the situation appropriately. I've had times when I thought my guy was going to spot up only to have him cut, and I've had times when I wanted my guy to keep running and he stopped. Thankfully, these instances are usually the exception, and there are things you can do as the user to cut down on these types of plays.

I consider the turnover into the post a user error because being patient for another second would have eliminated that turnover. Val would have either posted up the defender and given you an easy pass into the post, or he would have cut to the other side of the lane (in which case you wouldn't have thrown him the ball). Any time you throw a pass while the computer is between animations, bad things can happen. Also, you might want to turn lead passing back on because the lead passing can help combat some of these things. By "leading" your teammate away from the basket/defender, it will stop them from randomly cutting ... for the most part.

Once again, I am not saying they shouldn't keep striving to eliminate these instances in the future, I'm just offering ways to cut down on these kinds of plays at present.
Old 10-16-2015, 12:42 PM   #30
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

I have no problem with the OP turnover. He was late with the pass. That's why he was cutting. And plus he lead passed him in the direction of the hoop. Nothing wrong here. User just doesn't understand how to play
Old 10-16-2015, 01:18 PM   #31
Pro

OVR: 4

Looks like user error to me. I was expecting a real issue.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-16-2015, 03:16 PM   #32
MVP

LorenzoDC's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnbelievablyRAW
Another one.

https://vid.me/4ljR

Look at where Ross is when you see his "O" icon appear over his head (indicating that I'm passing to him at that position) and look at where the game made me pass the ball.

Hilarious
He's running a flare screen. Probably shouldn't have with the spacing on the floor as it was, though.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »