Home

Err, is there something wrong with 3pt shooting?

This is a discussion on Err, is there something wrong with 3pt shooting? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-17-2015, 03:28 PM   #33
Banned

bo.jangles344's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Err, is there something wrong with 3pt shooting?

It's not difficult to put up ridiculous numbers in career. It's almost too easy. Plus you shot the ball 34 times. The hard part for me is trying to get good players on my team to dominate without me assisting on every possession. No one cares that you shoot lights out every game against the cpu. Come do that against me.

To the op, a 95 3 and you shoot 2-8? You're probably still taking shots off the dribble. I usually hit 1/3 or 2/5 and almost every one of those are catch and shoot off a screen with 70 on my 3 and i play on SS/sim.

Have a nice day.
Old 10-17-2015, 03:39 PM   #34
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

I think this is your problem. You had 21 FGA in only 17 minutes, on top of 8 trips to the line. Shot fatigue is most likely playing a part in this scenario.
Old 10-17-2015, 03:45 PM   #35
MVP

Taer's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Poopador

I think this is your problem. You had 21 FGA in only 17 minutes, on top of 8 trips to the line. Shot fatigue is most likely playing a part in this scenario.
Context is everything. Not only this but my bet is that the OP was taking these shots after being physical to get open and also had various movement penalties.

The shot itself may be wide-open but there is a lot of other things going on at the same time.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-17-2015, 03:50 PM   #36
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavs2016
There are games in real life where Steph Curry shoots 2/13 or 2/10 from three and some other bum on the other team shoots 5/5 from three. Context, momentum, hot/cold matters etc. it happens in real life. One can't just cherry pick games, but rather one needs to look at the season as a whole.

A player with 88 3PT and 78 3PT rating can go both shoot 5/5, it's not unrealistic. They're professional basketball players. It's rare, but possible. I went 5/5 with Darrell Arthur in All Star Team Up, I had good quality, high percentage looks. He has a 64 3PT rating and I took smart shots. The defending guy doubted my ability and let me be wide open.
Old 10-17-2015, 03:56 PM   #37
MVP

Taer's Arena

OVR: 7

Just to emphasis that 3-pt shooting is not "broken"; I can and have made 5 attempts in a row in both MC and quick-game Laker games.

It is a matter of not only how open you are but also:
  1. Hot/Cold streaks
  2. Boosts(for MC/online)
  3. Movement penalties
  4. Fatigue
  5. Energy
I have been playing with Kobe's release since 2K10/11 and I know the Laker's playbook pretty darn well. I can exploit these facts with the fact that Mike Wang practically told us exactly how to ensure decent shooting this year

My MC guy is 5'7" and I play on SS/Sim this year.
Old 10-17-2015, 04:13 PM   #38
G.O.A.T.

TMagic's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManCometh
Here's my thing, u can't really compare a video game to real world because at the end of the day, it's just that, a video game. I know u guys here try to play that little game by comparing it to real world but to me, it's not even close. Way to many unrealistic things happening. Curry cannot simply duplicate the things he do on 2k16 that he does in real life. Basically u have to be a spot up shooter in this game and curry hits many 3s off the dribble.

The A.I. still does some very unrealistic things. Everybody is virtually a shot blocker in this game, so it's not just the shooting. Theres other issues with the game play as well. I personally play it for the fun factor. If u think it's on point and suits ur appetite then Amen to u and high fives. But for me, I know it for what it is. Not about to make any videos or that sort of thing because we all have our opinions of the game and I'm not about to play detective to get u to see my point.

That's simply not true.

I just had a game last night where I went 6-8 with Curry from three. I remember one was off of two hesitation dribbles to the left. One was off of a Bogut pick where my defender went under. And another was in transition where nobody stopped ball.

He and I were just feeling it that game. This was online. So it's definitely possible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Twitter: @ThoseFools

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEC...cd41cJK2238sIA
Old 10-17-2015, 04:13 PM   #39
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

People here to over exaggerate everything and claim everything about the game is broken and when someone asks to post some video proof(which is actually helpful)then only a few want to do it.

It's 2015 and everyone here got PLENTY of ways to record and upload videos, so it's no excuse for people not do it, especially if they claim something is broken.
Old 10-17-2015, 06:07 PM   #40
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManCometh
I play strictly online and I know they miss a lot of open 3s. I'm in NBA league with over 150 games played. I would say curry is shooting about 30% for me. Lost quite a few games on Klay missing wide open 3s at the buzzer as well. And when I say wide open I mean WIDE OPEN to the point the other online user didn't even attempt running out. I also feel it's true that it's extremely hard to hit back to back 3s even when wide open. It's to the point now that I would pass up a open 3 with an open curry or Klay if they just hit one previously. The grading system seems inaccurate at times as well. I've had times where my online opponent wasn't playing defense with the pg and just stood still in the backcourt. Not sure if his joystick died but I ran down court with curry completely free and pulled up for the open 3 and he clanks it with a grade of C-. Why? because I turbo down court and pulled up for 3? To me that's garbage but it's how 2k sees it. They want u to spot up for the 3. Not run down court or whatever. And it's not realistic to me because guys like curry can kill u doing exactly that. Curry's not just a spot up 3point shooter and the game doesn't recognize players like him, or Harden that can step back into a 3.

I pretty much never get anything below a B when wide open and give my feet time to settle, unless it's the heavily penalized step back. It's usually a B+ or better. This is even off short off the dribble shots. Again, offline, but I just shot 5-8 and I play like Curry does except for somewhat less consistent off the dribble shooting.

You should really chart your open shots and your corresponding releases. And are you letting your feet settle for a moment or just turboing into momentum threes? I can't see how you can be shooting 30% wide open unless you're consistently messing up your releases or have a play style that badly incurs shot fatigue, or online plays completely different even for open shots-- and we would have had more reports of that if it were the case.

I do agree the step shot penalty is out of whack when executed from a standstill. Size ups and movement before the shot incur way less.

Last edited by Sundown; 10-17-2015 at 06:09 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »