Home

Freedom of movement, no more intentionally broken BS

This is a discussion on Freedom of movement, no more intentionally broken BS within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 06:38 PM   #25
Rookie

Roger_Black's Arena

OVR: 0
Freedom of movement, no more intentionally broken BS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhawkfootball06
Uhh... guys... did you know that people tend to run faster without having to dribble a basketball than when they do?

Mind blowing, I know.

There are some players who run faster when dribbling than without the ball.

Mainly because their 'motivation' to SCORE is much stronger than their desire to DEFEND. (As a result, they tend to play harder on offense, than on defense)

This is why 'defensive stoppers' are very rare in the NBA.

Last edited by Roger_Black; 10-19-2015 at 06:40 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-19-2015, 06:51 PM   #26
MVP

ViolenceFight's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Freedom of movement, no more intentionally broken BS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger_Black
There are some players who run faster when dribbling than without the ball.

Mainly because their 'motivation' to SCORE is much stronger than their desire to DEFEND. (As a result, they tend to play harder on offense, than on defense)

This is why 'defensive stoppers' are very rare in the NBA.
Yes, but generally speaking, a person sprinting will be faster than a person trying to sprint while bouncing a ball due to the physics of the ball itself

PSN: ViolenceFight
Instagram: @ViolenceFight
Old 10-19-2015, 09:36 PM   #27
Rookie

Quote:
Uhh... guys... did you know that people tend to run faster without having to dribble a basketball than when they do?

Mind blowing, I know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BA2929
1) In the first video, the defender is barely any slower and barely has any less acceleration than the guy dribbling. Guys run faster without the ball. An 85/85 guy dribbling isn't going to be any faster than an 82/80 guy sprinting. He'll probably be a little slower, actually. Thus being able to catch the ball handler.

2) Parker isn't dribbling, has an angle and the player dribbling is going from a complete stop WHILE beginning his dribble and in the process of gathering the basketball. Easy for Parker to catch up on that play in real life.

Show me a video where someone like Greg Monroe catches up to someone like John Wall (who has a head start) and I'll get concerned that his is truly an issue.
Did you both even watch the video?

In the first video, I started off fast with a fast sprint dribbling animation, however as soon as the defender gets close enough, I switch to a normal dribbling animation. You can see that by looking at the stride and the speed of the run.

It's very clear to me when played and while watching the replay that the ball handler was running faster at the start, and slowed down as the defender closes in, for no reason. It won't be an issue if it was getting close to where I need to gather for a layup/dunk, but it's still outside the 3pt line, no reason to slow down there.

You can also look at the disparity of animation playback speed between the defender and me. He got a lot more steps in per my steps. His animation is also that of a fast jog, but the speed disparity is huge.

As for the 2nd video, we both accelerated at the same time, however Parker's animations are way faster than mine. With such a disparity in speed/acceleration, I'd think that even with dribbling accounted for he shouldn't be able to speed past me like that. Especially since I gathered the ball and started accelerating before he does.

That speed was almost as fast as the first video's defender.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:23 PM   #28
Banned

BegBy's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReRo
Haha i hate this so much. But I learned to counter it... What I do is when I'm in front, and I see the defender trying to chase me down, I try to stay directly in front of him, so if he wants to pass me on my right side, I go slightly right so he can't get by my side lol. Actually works quite nicely.

This^.

It's so lame, but I try to run directly in front of defender, and even then they will morph through me and a bump animation will suck me in. Sometimes I'll just stop running full speed like in the above posted videos which makes the cpu guy morph through me and then I kick the ball, or it gets loose and they grab it.

Regardless, just try to be as in front of your guy as possible. Even on Pro they will catch up at times.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:26 PM   #29
Banned

BegBy's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:

Mind blowing, I know.

Yeah, because John Wall, D Rose, Steph, etc really slow down when they have a sizeable lead on a guy and they are dribbling for an open lay up. Happens all the time.

Sure.
Old 10-20-2015, 01:45 PM   #30
Rookie

Is this proof enough that movement speed is completely broken?

Old 10-20-2015, 02:27 PM   #31
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65

OK locked this as well

please stop these threads dude
Advertisements - Register to remove
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »