Home

Why does it seem like off-ball D is universally shunned? [serious]

This is a discussion on Why does it seem like off-ball D is universally shunned? [serious] within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 04:08 PM   #25
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Why does it seem like off-ball D is universally shunned? [serious]

I've been playing off ball defense because guys.... literally don't know how to use dribble moves. They go back and forth trying to get pass me until I mess up. And if you have a Tony Allen on your side. Who is getting charges in clutch moments of the games because guys really don't know how to use dribbles moves to get by guys. I'll post a video of a guy using Curry. Who just pulled up for 3 because he couldn't get by Allen.

I still believe I rather play someone who plays one ball. I'd just play cpu then. When you play park... You don't play off play. Do you? lol

And I still think it's hilarous that people try to fight the on ball guys with BS excuses lol. It's even more funnier to watch someone literally run away from the ball as you pass it to every player on the court hahahahaha
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-20-2015, 04:17 PM   #26
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

OVR: 0

Point blank, I don't respect anyone who plays off ball more than 80% of the time. I don't expect anyone to realistically guard me 100% of the time either. However, if you switch EVERY time I pass to your man, then you're a punk in my book. I might even give you a little bit of credit if you played defense after I pass the ball to whom you're guarding.
Old 10-20-2015, 04:19 PM   #27
Rookie

AshamanCarnage's Arena

OVR: 2

Someone is a punk or sucks if they don't play a video game the way you think they should? I thought this was OS not Gamefaqs.
Old 10-20-2015, 04:23 PM   #28
MVP

OVR: 14

I play majority on-ball and if the computer played intelligent off-ball D by itself, then personally I wouldn't find it necessary to shift off-ball. If I see a glaring hole in the defense and I have to shift off-ball to close it, I'm going to do that. Even on basic pick and roll coverage, the CPU is prone to make foolish decisions that compromise the defense; in those situations, I may switch to get the guy in the right position and switch back.

Lmao at people frowning at off-ball defense. Passing is also a part of the offensive game that needs to be defended. So folks are just supposed to stay on-ball no matter what and leave glaring holes in their defense? If someone is going iso against me and is not going to pass, I'll play on the ball all day.
Old 10-20-2015, 04:25 PM   #29
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrocc23
It's that simple. Nobody is saying you shouldn't play offball at all. We all do. And if you're smart, you will play offball on occasions. For example on pick and rolls (especially on this game lol) I would switch. But I usually click back on to the ball handler or if I know a player is about to pass it to a certain player, I'll jump it.

I just don't like the guys that'll play on the big men all game and then you go to them they'll switch off. I am basically playing the CPU and not the user. I want to play you. Most wouldn't let the CPU take over and just sit around on the the big man on offense though.

I don't think most people that's pro on ball defense would have a problem with any of this. I think most are upset with the guys that just play off ball most of the time not switching or anything. But you do have some people that feels you need to be on them at all times. I am not one of them people. Their are clever ways like you mentioned and scenarios to play offball. But just sitting offball isn't cool.
Agree 100%. I'll switch off depending on the situation, but I'm always right back on the ball once I'm setup properly.

Last edited by Pappy Knuckles; 10-20-2015 at 04:28 PM.
Old 10-20-2015, 04:36 PM   #30
MVP

Jrocc23's Arena

OVR: 6
Why does it seem like off-ball D is universally shunned? [serious]

Quote:
Originally Posted by eko718
Lmao at people frowning at off-ball defense. Passing is also a part of the offensive game that needs to be defended. So folks are just supposed to stay on-ball no matter what and leave glaring holes in their defense? If someone is going iso against me and is not going to pass, I'll play on the ball all day.

Y'all have to understand most can careless about you playing offball to guard the passing lanes at some points and switching back on ball or doing offball in certain scenarios. You'd be a fool not to. What most are talking about with offball players is people that just sit or "camp" on players without the ball never trying to defend the user.

People just don't respect that stuff. I know some of y'all pro offball players say "We don't care about what you respect" and etc and I can careless if you do, I am just saying it what it is. But obviously it must affect some people because we get these threads every year multiple times. Play the game how you guys like, me and others is just letting it be known we don't respect it because we are playing online to compete and play against you. It's just something I didn't have to see people do. When I was a kid playing video games, I just always switched because that's the person that had the ball and I want to defend them lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Knuckles
Agree 100%. I'll switch off depending on the situation, but I'm always right back on the ball once I'm setup properly.

And I am sure nobody had to tell you that, just comes natural lol. I didn't even know the terminology of on ball user D before playing online, it's just something I always did against the CPU and against couch players. We playing against each other, why sit back and watch lol.

NBA 2K11
XtremeXplicit Crew
Ranked

Check us out: http://www.youtube.com/jroccdagameboy

Last edited by Jrocc23; 10-20-2015 at 04:38 PM.
Old 10-20-2015, 04:42 PM   #31
Banned

OVR: 20

Player A: plays off-ball all game but is smart, sim-focused and precise with his inputs
Player B: plays like a hack, spams steal all game, but he's on-ball so what a balla, yo

Please.

I don't look down on people who play off-ball because quite frankly I don't care what you do. I can either win the game or I can't.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-20-2015, 04:47 PM   #32
Banned

apollooff320's Arena

OVR: 9

I play both and if I decide to play off ball the whole game I don't care what the other player thinks of me. I don't live with him nor will I see him on a daily bases. I would never sit here and tell someone how to play their $60 game. What should be looked down on is ppl telling others how to play their own $60 game.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »