Home

NBA 2K16 Freelance Info: OS Community "Wiki"

This is a discussion on NBA 2K16 Freelance Info: OS Community "Wiki" within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-25-2015, 05:53 PM   #1
Pro

ThatMichiganFan's Arena

OVR: 0
NBA 2K16 Freelance Info: OS Community "Wiki"

Ok, so this is not entirely my idea, as I was inspired by this thread http://www.operationsports.com/forum...nity-wiki.html by LorenzoDC. I know there is already a thread discussing everyone's favorite freelance offense's but I think that this can be used more as a spot purely for information, rather than conversation about the freelance offenses. 2K has done an incredible job with the variety and depth of the freelance offense, and not all people have time to experiment with every freelance offense, so this thread can help people narrow down which freelance they would like to run.

THANK YOU EVERYONE!! THIS THREAD WOULD NOT BE GREAT WITHOUT ALL OF YOUR INPUT!!

Here's How to Set Up Your Freelance Offense In-Game

This will be a thread with specific information about each freelance, such as favorite branches, strengths and weaknesses, etc.

I would ask/suggest that we structure comments like this:

Freelance Offense:

Preferred Action (Motion Cuts, Freelance, Space the Floor):

Freelance Focus:

Freelance Strengths:

Freelance Weaknesses:

Best Personnel Fit:

Favorite Actions/Branches:

I have decided to make the OP into a "Master Post" of sorts. I will quote all breakdowns and post them on the OP in order to make finding information easier. Every analysis posted will be added in a spoiler, labeled with the freelance offense and the name of the poster. Thank you to all who post breakdowns and share your knowledge!

Freelance Offense: Corner
Analysis By: 32MJ32

Spoiler

Freelance Offense: Flex
Analysis By: cardinalbird7

Spoiler

Freelance Offense: Flow
Analysis By: Hot Kidd

Spoiler

Freelance Offense: Motion 3-Out 2-In
Analysis By: LorenzoDC

Spoiler

Freelance Offense: Motion 4-out 1-in
Analysis By: ThatMichiganFan

Spoiler

Freelance Offense: Motion 4-Out 1-In
Analysis By: SamPham

Spoiler

Freelance Offense: Pace

Spoiler

Freelance Offense: Pace

Spoiler

Freelance Offense: Princeton Chin
Analysis By: DaCzar

Spoiler

Freelance Offense: Princeton Chin

Spoiler

Freelance Offense: Triangle

Spoiler

Freelance Offense: 3-out 2-in

Spoiler

Freelance Offense: 3-Out 2-In

Spoiler

Freelance Offense: 3-Out 2-In Extended

Spoiler

Freelance Offense: 7 Seconds

Spoiler

2K18 Sliders:https://forums.operationsports.com/f...n-sliders.html

Last edited by ThatMichiganFan; 11-23-2015 at 04:20 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-25-2015, 06:00 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: NBA 2K16 Freelance Info: OS Community "Wiki"

This is great!! I look forward to reading everyones feedback. I do not have in-depth knowledge of basketball strategy, so this will help me immensely.
Old 10-25-2015, 08:42 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

I like it. An excuse to wax lyrical about my favourite offense:

Freelance Offense

Corner

Preferred Action (Motion Cuts, Freelance, Space the Floor)

Motion Cuts

Freelance Focus

I leave the POE on "Neutral." However, if you're asking what the focus is of the offense is, I'd summarise it as:

- Moving the ball without dribbling
- Creating shots - from many areas of the floor - without a heavy reliance on screen and roll
- Using all 5 players as "playmakers," rather than just the point guard
- Reading and reacting to the way the defense is playing

Freelance Strengths

- Starting positions are smartly spaced - wing, elbow, corner, elbow, corner. If there's a mismatch, you can go right to a spot and work it before the D can switch
- Off-ball screening and movement
- "Read and react" cutting - if a guy is overplayed, he will go back door
- Multiple options from the initial entry pass all the way through to the bottom of the shotclock
- Most actions aim to create an open 3 or layup - exactly what "modern" NBA offense is geared towards

Freelance Weaknesses

- If you're unable to "spring" a cutter for an open shot, you can eat a lot of shotclock passing it around and going nowhere
- On the base action that is run most regularly, multiple players can pile up at the 3 point line directly above the basket.
- There's little room for off the bounce flair. If you like to ISO or run a lot of P and R, look elsewhere

Best Personnel Fit

5: You want an Al Horford/Tim Duncan/Gasol (either)/Towns type. Ability to pass it, hit midrange shots and go into a post move if the right match up is available. A "Brick Wall" badge is a nice to have, given all the screening these guys do.

4: As per above, as the 4 and 5 are effectively interchangeable. Julius Randle is a nice fit when he grows up. Given the amount of catches they'll be getting at the elbow, going small with Melo or KD or Jabari can be money, too.

3: This guy needs to be a good or great shooter while stationary and on the move. 3's mostly but midrange also helpful. There's no room for a Tony Allen or MKG here. Good Offensive Awareness to make sharp cuts, too. Obviously, if you can get Durant, he's the best guy available - let's be honest, he would flourish in any system.

The plus side is that you don't need to worry about ballhandling and shot creation. Kawhi, Danny Green, Khris Middleton or DeMarre Carroll types. If you're open, shoot it and make it. If you're not, pass it.

2: Much like the 4 and 5, the 2 and 3 are the same - they swap roles depending on which side of the floor you choose to run the actions on. I've had Brad Beal in this spot and it's borderline unfair - he's just terrific.

1: This is interesting. Despite my repeated claims above that ballhandling is not a major part of this system, I've run Rose here and it was really something. In the base set, the 1 often comes out of the corner and takes a hand off from the 4/5 at the elbow with a head of steam. Rose, with his insane quickness, could really get some separation as he came around the bend. Then he was able to lower his shoulder and get to the basket.

In truth, you want a knockdown shooter - moving around off-ball screens - more than anything. Great playmaking is not a must have, nor is the ability to work off the dribble. Kyle Lowry - in a good year - comes to mind. Brandon Knight.

Given the playmaking is spread around, you can get by with a makeshift PG, too, much like Phil Jackson like to use in the Triangle. Find yourself a 2 - with range - who can guard 1's and you're good to go. Oladipo. Shumpert. Avery Bradley.

Favorite Actions/Branches

The base set. You trigger this by dribbling or passing to a wing. On that side, the corner and wing will be filled by the 1, 2 or 3. The elbow will be filled by the 4 or 5.

On the weakside, the 1, 2 or 3 not involved in the strong side starts in the corner and the other big is on the elbow.

The best way to kick off multiple options is to throw it from the strong side wing into the strong side elbow/high post. If you want to use this system, get familiar with this, first and foremost.

My personal favourite is to run multiple sets where the 1/2/3 in the strong side corner comes to the top for a hand off. Eventually, the AI starts to overplay and you can hit him on a back cut with a pass from the big at the elbow. I get 8-12 easy points every game.

Last edited by 32MJ32; 10-25-2015 at 08:47 PM.
Old 10-25-2015, 08:58 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 15

Incredible post. This has the makings of being an all-time great thread here on OS!
Old 10-25-2015, 09:50 PM   #5
Pro

ThatMichiganFan's Arena

Freelance Offense: Motion 4-out 1-in

Preferred Action (Motion Cuts, Freelance, Space the Floor): Motion Cuts (Also works very well with Space the Floor)

Freelance Focus: The Motion 4-out 1-in freelance focuses on freeing up shooters. It provides open shots by running players off screens constantly.

Freelance Strengths: It is relatively simple. It is pretty easy to run and is not overly complicated. Shooters are always running around screens looking for an open shot. Because it has four players circling the perimeter and one big inside, the spacing is very good as well. It also smoothly flows from one action to another.

Freelance Weaknesses: It is relatively simple. This can be good at times, and bad. Opponents can sometimes recognize the actions as they happen, and defend the play very well. Very weak rebounding without an elite rebounding center.

Best Personnel Fit: It is necessary to have good perimeter shooting and a strong rebounding center. Without shooting, this freelance is essentially useless. It also requires a playmaking guard who can penetrate off the dribble and kick out to open shooters. With good shooting and a playmaking guard, the Motion 4-out 1-in becomes deadly. Attacking the paint with the guard (With the Pick and Roll or Iso) provides a double edged sword for the defense to walk on, help in the paint and leave a shooter wide open, or stay on your man and give up the easy bucket.

Favorite Actions/Branches:

Space The Floor: With the action set to Space the Floor, this freelance provides excellent spacing, no matter where the ball is. Players will move as the ball moves to keep spacing, and if the ball is entered into the post, the perimeter players back away and let the big go to work. Use space the floor if you like to create your own offense attacking off the dribble.

Motion Cuts: There are two positions where the freelance offense can be initiated, on the wing, or at the top of the three-point arc. Most of the actions try to free up shooters for an open shot, and the actions flow nicely into one another.

The base action begins on the wings, and features shooters running off screens from the corner to the wing. This action provides an open shot or driving angle to attack the defense. With no dribbles, this will continue for the entire possession.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzgnWVlKf-I

From the top of the key, there are three branches that you can choose.

Option A- Hit the cutter coming off the down screen for an easy layup. More often than not, the defense covers the cutter and denies the pass, but this is an instant score if available. If the cutter is not open, the center will drift out to receive a pass on the wing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_BTSTb1P_8

Option B- Pass up top. The shooter will catch the ball up top. If guarded, the center will set a screen for the player in the corner to come off. If no open shot, the team will flow back into the base action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo_jERZJe4s

Option C- Pass to the corner. A shooter will come off another screen from the top to the wing to receive a pass. Then a shooter will run from the opposite corner will run around to the top of the arc and swing the ball the same direction. Then he will set a screen for the first shooter and the ball is reversed around the arc,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFbZgYtzIJo

If the final option does not provide an open shot, the team will flow back into the base action from the wing, running players of screens from the corner to the wing.

2K18 Sliders:https://forums.operationsports.com/f...n-sliders.html
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-26-2015, 11:16 AM   #6
Tom Brady, L.O.A.T

urlacher51's Arena

OVR: 6

great thread with great info.

Quote From one of EA Sports Game Changers
( None of us have the power to control when EA Sports will implement/fix/address things in their games after we suggest them)
Old 10-26-2015, 01:58 PM   #7
Rookie

So this may be a dumb question, but how do you set these free lance offenses? Or is it something the game just "freelances" as you dribble into certain positions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-26-2015, 02:28 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawlinsnate
So this may be a dumb question, but how do you set these free lance offenses? Or is it something the game just "freelances" as you dribble into certain positions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here's a video that will explain it for you. I hope this helps.

https://youtu.be/CzcJ6jDb1Do

Sent from my SM-G900T1 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Kiyen; 10-26-2015 at 02:34 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »