Home

My iso nightmare

This is a discussion on My iso nightmare within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-27-2015, 05:07 AM   #33
Pro

MrBallaBoy21's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: My iso nightmare

You defended a lot better when you let the computer guard Harden and you contained him with a 2nd defender yourself. Playing off-ball becomes necessary when

A. you just can't guard someone

B. the computer doesn't help like you want them to

I didn't read your entire first post but did you have the "protect the paint" POE set? Sam Pham made a video last year about that setting and it improved my defense a lot in combination with individual defensive adjustments.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:12 AM   #34
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBallaBoy21
You defended a lot better when you let the computer guard Harden and you contained him with a 2nd defender yourself. Playing off-ball becomes necessary when

A. you just can't guard someone

B. the computer doesn't help like you want them to

I didn't read your entire first post but did you have the "protect the paint" POE set? Sam Pham made a video last year about that setting and it improved my defense a lot in combination with individual defensive adjustments.
Yup... I did that... After the first timeout. I had it on protect the paint. At that point it was 4 to 5

I actually got worst. He seem to get by the computer even easier. He also would draw fouls repeatly on CPU controlled teammates.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited by jeebs9; 10-27-2015 at 06:17 AM.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:50 AM   #35
Pro

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9
Yup... I did that... After the first timeout. I had it on protect the paint. At that point it was 4 to 5

I actually got worst. He seem to get by the computer even easier. He also would draw fouls repeatly on CPU controlled teammates.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Jeebs, let me know if this helps because I play against friends that play EXACTLY like this, lol. It's typically Steph or KD and it's head to head, not online so YMMV.

As other posters indicated, use protect the paint. NEVER use physical defense unless you have a perimeter oriented player and you'd like hard close outs. In the paint, your players will foul much more with that setting on.

Deny Harden and moderate on-ball because he seemed reluctant to shoot the J. Double on drive for Harden and go under screens and send your bigs under the screens as well with a soft hedge. For other perimeter threats like Ariza or Motunious (Butchered spelling), Deny ball so the double comes from the correct personnel (Mike Conley and Marc Gasol). Another IMPORTANT aspect is to pre-rotate on driving threats like D12 and Montunious.

I watched the vids and how often do you use LT when defending? Anticipate where he is going (He seemed easy as he only really wanted to go baseline) and utilize LT and the other back button to bump him and slow down Harden's moment. Once you bump him and have your defense in position, start bringing your help defender (preferably a big) between the free throw line and the wing. Ideally, your double should already be incoming pestering his additional dribble moves.

Next, anticipate the pass and this is why it was imperative you put pre-rotate to on with the bigs! The help will help the help and if done correctly, plenty of turnovers and easy transition buckets until he opens the floor and utilized Harden as a facilitator and makes the extra pass to find the open man.

Lastly, don't let him dance around you with Harden. Remember how GS exposed Harden on the close out game constantly pestering him with several defenders and never letting him get into his signature ISO moves? If I remember correctly, he had 12 turnovers. If he still got his with these adjustments, send the double on the catch and deny (or tight) appropriate personnel. LT is your friend Jeebs, press the hell out of too!

Let me know if I helped at all.

P.S: You still got jerked on a few possessions.. In my crib when we play we call that "2K Love" and also, "shout out to my _____ 2K" salutes too haha

Last edited by Nevertheles109; 10-27-2015 at 11:34 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-27-2015, 11:26 AM   #36
MVP

Hustle Westbrook's Arena

OVR: 0

I haven't played against the Rockets that much online but James Harden is annoying in this game. His dunk animations are pretty damn OP.
Old 10-27-2015, 11:43 AM   #37
MVP

UnbelievablyRAW's Arena

OVR: 5

I play these types of guys the same way I play people that spam Lebron. Just put your best defender on him and let the CPU play him while you bring over help to prevent the drive

I learned the hard way that it's pointless to try and guard superstars one on one, they can just brute force their way passed you 80% of the time
Old 10-27-2015, 12:33 PM   #38
I smell sulfur...

Kodii Rockets's Arena

OVR: 12

When EYE play these dudes, anyone I don't know online, the first thing I'm thinking about is baseline. As you see, there's no real strategy besides that. 80% of the moves that they do are to get them back to that baseline spot to initiate the lay-up, crossover/baseline, crossover/behind the back/baseline, hesitation/baseline. Their strategy doesn't really change.

I've always went w/ the Tom Thibadeaux man/zone concept on defense. I over commit to the baseline, gap - offball anyone who isn't an absolute KNOCKDOWN shooter. ie. gap PF, gap PG, Auto Ariza/SF, I don't want those other guys getting caught in animations against their men, and I want them able to move freely to the ball to help.

Another thing is to pay attention to who they have in that deep corner when they iso, that's the man I'm icon'ing over for the double. Not immediately, but as he's committing, it's A) a hard pass to get over to him if he decides to B)just his presence near the paint decreases the chances of a successful dunk or layup.

As I'm watching, it's looking like you're still playing him to the middle on those drives for some reason, again, their directive is to ALWAYS take baseline. The only thing that makes sense is that you're playing his shooting hand, which is a thing I love to do, and I think too many people who play 2K don't realize. It helps immensely. But you're saying he didn't shoot jumpers at all, so cut that baseline all the way off, get to that 'spot' near the baseline, feather that controller, let him do the And1 moves to his hearts content, that take off spot where they all try to go is their objective, so you make getting to that spot first yours. We all know that layup sweet spot that they need to get to. Commit there. If you've got a quick handed defender reach when you stop him or he's pulling it back out, otherwise it's like real life, just move those feet and beat him to that spot before he can gain momentum and 'slide' past you with that lay-up animation.

Follow this link to view 10 Yard Fight on Operation Sports >>10YF on OS
Old 10-27-2015, 12:45 PM   #39
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevertheles109
Jeebs, let me know if this helps because I play against friends that play EXACTLY like this, lol. It's typically Steph or KD and it's head to head, not online so YMMV.

As other posters indicated, use protect the paint. NEVER use physical defense unless you have a perimeter oriented player and you'd like hard close outs. In the paint, your players will foul much more with that setting on.

Deny Harden and moderate on-ball because he seemed reluctant to shoot the J. Double on drive for Harden and go under screens and send your bigs under the screens as well with a soft hedge. For other perimeter threats like Ariza or Motunious (Butchered spelling), Deny ball so the double comes from the correct personnel (Mike Conley and Marc Gasol). Another IMPORTANT aspect is to pre-rotate on driving threats like D12 and Montunious.

I watched the vids and how often do you use LT when defending? Anticipate where he is going (He seemed easy as he only really wanted to go baseline) and utilize LT and the other back button to bump him and slow down Harden's moment. Once you bump him and have your defense in position, start bringing your help defender (preferably a big) between the free throw line and the wing. Ideally, your double should already be incoming pestering his additional dribble moves.

Next, anticipate the pass and this is why it was imperative you put pre-rotate to on with the bigs! The help will help the help and if done correctly, plenty of turnovers and easy transition buckets until he opens the floor and utilized Harden as a facilitator and makes the extra pass to find the open man.

Lastly, don't let him dance around you with Harden. Remember how GS exposed Harden on the close out game constantly pestering him with several defenders and never letting him get into his signature ISO moves? If I remember correctly, he had 12 turnovers. If he still got his with these adjustments, send the double on the catch and deny (or tight) appropriate personnel. LT is your friend Jeebs, press the hell out of too!

Let me know if I helped at all.

P.S: You still got jerked on a few possessions.. In my crib when we play we call that "2K Love" and also, "shout out to my _____ 2K" salutes too haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodii Rockets
When EYE play these dudes, anyone I don't know online, the first thing I'm thinking about is baseline. As you see, there's no real strategy besides that. 80% of the moves that they do are to get them back to that baseline spot to initiate the lay-up, crossover/baseline, crossover/behind the back/baseline, hesitation/baseline. Their strategy doesn't really change.

I've always went w/ the Tom Thibadeaux man/zone concept on defense. I over commit to the baseline, gap - offball anyone who isn't an absolute KNOCKDOWN shooter. ie. gap PF, gap PG, Auto Ariza/SF, I don't want those other guys getting caught in animations against their men, and I want them able to move freely to the ball to help.

Another thing is to pay attention to who they have in that deep corner when they iso, that's the man I'm icon'ing over for the double. Not immediately, but as he's committing, it's A) a hard pass to get over to him if he decides to B)just his presence near the paint decreases the chances of a successful dunk or layup.

As I'm watching, it's looking like you're still playing him to the middle on those drives for some reason, again, their directive is to ALWAYS take baseline. The only thing that makes sense is that you're playing his shooting hand, which is a thing I love to do, and I think too many people who play 2K don't realize. It helps immensely. But you're saying he didn't shoot jumpers at all, so cut that baseline all the way off, get to that 'spot' near the baseline, feather that controller, let him do the And1 moves to his hearts content, that take off spot where they all try to go is their objective, so you make getting to that spot first yours. We all know that layup sweet spot that they need to get to. Commit there. If you've got a quick handed defender reach when you stop him or he's pulling it back out, otherwise it's like real life, just move those feet and beat him to that spot before he can gain momentum and 'slide' past you with that lay-up animation.
Thank You guys for the feedback.

But here are a few of my successful double teams and bad 1.

But I'm doing exactly what you talked about. And doubling from the corner. There is just a really bad rotation by Z-Bo. And 1....

These are some of the really good double teams I got on him.

But I think those and1 baskets and dunks he got at the rim with the other players. Made me stop doubling him. Even though I was getting exactly what I wanted. And should of kept doubling him. And force the others to beat me. Instead of Harden getting to the line a few times.

Last edited by jeebs9; 10-27-2015 at 12:48 PM.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:58 PM   #40
Rookie

OVR: 2

The one video where the players get moved out of the way on the buzzer layup would really be rectified if all players got the baseline shield the ball handler gets.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »