Home

NBA 2K's MyPlayer Mode Different, But Improvements Needed

This is a discussion on NBA 2K's MyPlayer Mode Different, But Improvements Needed within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-29-2015, 12:45 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57

Perhaps NBA 2K16's most ambitious project was its story mode. With audacious film director Spike Lee at the helm, there wasn't a soul who didn't expect something a little different from this year's MyPlayer. Of course, different is good -- even when the change itself is not.

Read More - NBA 2K's MyPlayer Mode Different, But Improvements Needed
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3 / PC / PS4 / Xbox One
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-29-2015, 12:50 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: NBA 2K's MyPlayer Mode Different, But Improvements Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS
One of the most confusing aspects of "My Career" modes is that success is a given. Even on the most difficult settings, your player is treated as a budding star.
YES, this is one of the most annoying recent aspects of the MyPlayer mode in my opinion. I absolutely hate that while I'm a bench scrub improving my ratings and fighting for minutes, I get cutscenes about impending shoe deals and freakin' max contracts. It is such a ridiculous disconnect.

2K has to realize not everyone who plays this mode instantly wants to become the next coming of Michael Jordan or LeBron James. Some of us actually appreciate the experience of playing as a 6th man or a secondary player, and the story should accommodate us too.
Old 10-29-2015, 12:57 PM   #3
VFL

LeBlonde James's Arena

OVR: 3

I'm hoping that college will be part of my career for the future. But I want to feel more of a college experience, a choice to stay for four years. Make it to where you can earn VC during your college games. That way if you choose to stay a few more years you wouldn't have to worry about being a 55 overall "Phenom ". Staying an extra year could also hurt your draft stock if your performance slacks a bit. I'd still be okay with only 4 games or so each college year. That's more than enough to build up your overall just enough. And have a generic national championship court for the national championship Lol not one teams home court...breaks my immersion.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Old 10-29-2015, 01:01 PM   #4
VFL

LeBlonde James's Arena

OVR: 3

Also allow us to pick half lengths for college games.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Old 10-29-2015, 01:38 PM   #5
Rookie

Lack of choices and no threat of failure are the biggest things to me. There also need to be better simulation options. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you sim the game before an off day then it automatically sims through the off day too. I planned to sim a lot of games and focus more on off days in my first season but I couldn't do that because of this reason. I wanted to get to my second and third years before I really started improving my player but now I'm an 89 in the first year lol (I realize I could've waited longer to use VC on my player but I needed to improve for park mode). They also need to let you sim playoff games!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-29-2015, 01:50 PM   #6
MVP

Turbojugend's Arena

For me, MyPlayer has been by far the most disappointing part of what is an otherwise fantastic game. Not only is there no fear of failure despite my on-court shortcomings, but I am shoehorned into a narrow character path that resembles nothing of the character I actually want to play as.

If 2K really felt the need to go the Spike Lee route, then there should have been a Story Mode separate from Career Mode. Better yet, just make a standalone mo-cap movie as that's pretty much what we're getting now.
Old 10-29-2015, 03:48 PM   #7
Pro

XxSpiritHunterX's Arena

Hopefully next year is a true myCareer. The story was just a decent backdrop for me, but if I wanted a story, I would want another mode for it. Like myStory or something like that. I think myCareer can really be your career if they actually give us more options. I appreciated the decision-making in the past two myCareers. I would love to see that at least implemented next year. Maybe like a true high school star to NBA player story. The high school and college stuff was only a starting point this year. Next year, we expect it to be a bigger deal already.

Like everyone else, I want more to the pre-NBA stage. Everything was just too much for advancing the story rather than being a basketball player. With the high school, I was hoping for 8 minute quarters (real life high school rule). That didn't happen. In college, we all wanted 20 minute halves. At least we got the halves lol. Those need to be options in 2K17. I also want to enjoy the high school and college experiences. Keep the senior year thing with high school and allow me to play more years in myCareer at least rather than one and done just to keep the fictional time in tact. In fact, I say they go the NCAA route and let us customize the high schools we play and the rosters for both HS and college. Then, we can go through the draft process of a draft combine and then the summer league, then training camp. Last but not least, I want to actually earn VC before the NBA. Idc about a contract giving me VC lol. I want to actually be able to level up on my own unlike in 2K16 before going to the league. Sorry for my tangent, but this article was so good I had to put out my 3 cents.

Sent from a network powered by a hamster and a wheel using Tapatalk

Last edited by XxSpiritHunterX; 10-29-2015 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Didn't mean to hit send lol
Old 10-29-2015, 04:49 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 19
seems like people want all the features that were in the first my player mode.
2k scaled it back, cause folks complained that it took to long to get to an elite level.

personally, I think the backgrounds of players should be more dynamic.
a player should should chose the type of background that they have, middle class, inner city, lower/ upper class. etc, then tune the core story line to said back ground..
the story-line should definitely be more interactive.

I typically skip the my player mode. but have tried to this year. its a decent mode. one change that would be nice for the my player mode, would be to give said player the option of controlling said player or entire team during the game play. due to the fact that the AI in this mode is horrible.
there are too may instances where my player could get an assist, etc but the ai controlled user does something illogical, like pass out of an open layup.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »