Home

Why it should be Ratings over Real Life %........

This is a discussion on Why it should be Ratings over Real Life %........ within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-30-2015, 01:54 PM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Why it should be Ratings over Real Life %........

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManCometh
Besides u saying it, what concrete data u have to know what online is set on?

Are u saying superstar sim is automatically set to user timing ? Just trying to understand.

At one point, ppl on this very forum felt like u couldn't hit back to back 3s. Myself, and a lot of ppl noticed this. It was pretty obvious. So was it on superstar sim then ?

Since then I do think 2k make some adjustments because I was able to hit back to back a few times. But IMO, before the tuning or whatever, that was a prime example of what I would call 'scripted gameplay' . U can't tell me I can't hit back to back 3s if he's open. That's script. Therfore it's not sim. But that's just an example, I think 2k has made adjustments in regards to that..
Online Ranked Matches are always on Superstar Sim, User Timing.

There is no script.

Difficulty settings takes the realism out. For example HOF and Rookie are the most unrealistic setting. Sim, Default and Casual are the slider tuning. Sim gives you realistic outcomes, default is just regular 50/50 and casual is the easiest.

If you lower the difficulty, it's easier to shoot and easier to make shots.

The game since it came out, have been making it easier to shoot, not harder.

And the game in the beginning was fine, all 2K has been doing is making the game easier for people.
Old 10-30-2015, 02:17 PM   #34
Pro

torpidbeaver's Arena

OVR: 2

Wait, wait... Real% takes zero account of your shot timing?!? I thought it was just a different mixture of openness, ratings, spot on the floor, and timing. Just with more emphasis on ratings/previous stats?

That's not the case??
Old 10-30-2015, 02:22 PM   #35
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpidbeaver
Wait, wait... Real% takes zero account of your shot timing?!? I thought it was just a different mixture of openness, ratings, spot on the floor, and timing. Just with more emphasis on ratings/previous stats?

That's not the case??
It's supposed to be a mix, with the timing being a slight factor.

In my experience this year with Real FG%, I can make on a tap or a hold. FTs for definite. I can tap Shaqs FT and he will still make some here and there.

If you hold it too long it will be traveling, but with like Lebron, today playing the Cavs V. Heat game, I held it too long and let go juuuust before he got the ground and it went in. Those are way short with user timing usually, no matter the player.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-30-2015, 02:30 PM   #36
MVP

OVR: 1

Reposting my response from the other thread:

Ratings are based off percentages. Curry shoots 50%+ when wide open in real life and should do so in game. There's no in-game mechanic that says Curry shoots 40% regardless of situation, nor should there be, nor has anyone asked for that.

Sim folks who cite percentages want accurate results for the precise situation the game models, not some generic percentage that doesn't factor any context in. The game should model the success rates for the exact situation in real life and cover all variables and complexities, and that's what it attempts to do.

There is no mechanism that says "Curry will only shoot 40% regardless of defense", and to think so is badly misunderstanding the game.

Saying you don't care about percentages basically amounts to not caring about objectivity and preferring uninformed, casual subjective evaluations like "he shouldn't miss cause he's really good and stuff". Sims can't be built this way, because the next person can say "well Dellavedova shuts Curry down so Curry should miss like everything anytime they match up". You know how we know that's not objectively true?

Percentages.
Old 10-30-2015, 02:39 PM   #37
Pro

XxSpiritHunterX's Arena

What everyone is saying in regards to keeping the game really sim, especially the percentages, is true. I'm just gonna say this based off of the percentages post: just because the rating says, for example, 91, doesn't mean they will shoot 91%. Ratings are a crutch based off of real life percentages. I actually saw an algorithm used to make the ratings accurate for creating draft classes and it seems pretty similar, if not already, to how VC/2K does their ratings.

Keep this the way it is.

Sent from a network powered by a hamster and a wheel using Tapatalk
Old 10-30-2015, 03:04 PM   #38
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
Reposting my response from the other thread:

Ratings are based off percentages. Curry shoots 50%+ when wide open in real life and should do so in game. There's no in-game mechanic that says Curry shoots 40% regardless of situation, nor should there be, nor has anyone asked for that.

Sim folks who cite percentages want accurate results for the precise situation the game models, not some generic percentage that doesn't factor any context in. The game should model the success rates for the exact situation in real life and cover all variables and complexities, and that's what it attempts to do.

There is no mechanism that says "Curry will only shoot 40% regardless of defense", and to think so is badly misunderstanding the game.

Saying you don't care about percentages basically amounts to not caring about objectivity and preferring uninformed, casual subjective evaluations like "he shouldn't miss cause he's really good and stuff". Sims can't be built this way, because the next person can say "well Dellavedova shuts Curry down so Curry should miss like everything anytime they match up". You know how we know that's not objectively true?

Percentages.
So is the shooting based on RL % or ratings? I prefer a simple answer without all the science. Thanks.
Old 10-30-2015, 04:50 PM   #39
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

People have done that already, it's just not the answer you want to hear.

And then when they try to explain it, you basically dismiss them.
Old 10-30-2015, 06:01 PM   #40
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManCometh
So is the shooting based on RL % or ratings? I prefer a simple answer without all the science. Thanks.
They already told you. It's shot timing or real%, ratings has an effect on both of those. Online play now is shot timing.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »