Home

2K16 has totally killed contested shooting

This is a discussion on 2K16 has totally killed contested shooting within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-02-2015, 12:31 AM   #65
MVP

stillfeelme's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: 2K16 has totally killed contested shooting

For Curry it really is about the the stepbacks, escape dribble 3's when contested or defended.

Dude shot 55% on stepback 3's last year just crazy and 48% on stepback 2's and 3's

Watch them here. It was only 58 attempts but man that is ridiculous when you think about it. Here are all the stepback threes

http://on.nba.com/1k3AwAw

Curry is real life cheese no man should be able to shoot like that. He is really +40% whether off the dribble, contested, pullup, stepback whatever doesn't matter.

http://stats.nba.com/player/#!/20193...gular%20Season

James Harden

Also shot 55% on stepback threes on 56 attempts last year
http://on.nba.com/1k3CroP

I don't think they "killed" contested shooting though. I think they just don't have it properly regulated for each player correctly because there are not enough ratings to even get it right to be honest. If Mike Wang can attempt get the contested right for each player that would be nice though along with the stepbacks.

For those that don't know on average players shot about ~5.5% worse when contested. There are players that shoot much better when open and some that shoot about the same when contested and open. Those are usually your "deadeye" shooters as long as their %'s are still high.

It is hard to truly contest players because you have to give players space to land and hard contests are likely to be fouls

KD's, Melo's, Dirk's, Steph maybe Kyrie I am missing somebody but you get the idea.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-02-2015, 12:41 AM   #66
MVP

ViolenceFight's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGDunks
Go watch prime LeBron or Kobe and they hit tough shots with defenders on them regularly. In the same game.
Yeah, but not as many as you guys act like they do. You can also hit those in 2k16, and shoot at a decent rate. But if they ignore defense like people act like they want them to, this game will become who can hit more shots with bron or kobe. That's what 2k13 was. It wasn't basketball, it was what cheesy move can I exploit vs. What cheesy move they want to exploit.

Shooting is fine. The percentage of makes is on Par with real life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillfeelme
For Curry it really is about the the stepbacks, escape dribble 3's when contested or defended.

Dude shot 55% on stepback 3's last year just crazy and 48% on stepback 2's and 3's

Watch them here. It was only 58 attempts but man that is ridiculous when you think about it. Here are all the stepback threes

http://on.nba.com/1k3AwAw

Curry is real life cheese no man should be able to shoot like that. He is really +40% whether off the dribble, contested, pullup, stepback whatever doesn't matter.

http://stats.nba.com/player/#!/20193...gular%20Season

James Harden

Also shot 55% on stepback threes on 56 attempts last year
http://on.nba.com/1k3CroP

I don't think they "killed" contested shooting though. I think they just don't have it properly regulated for each player correctly because there are not enough ratings to even get it right to be honest. If Mike Wang can attempt get the contested right for each player that would be nice though along with the stepbacks.

For those that don't know on average players shot about ~5.5% worse when contested. There are players that shoot much better when open and some that shoot about the same when contested and open. Those are usually your "deadeye" shooters as long as their %'s are still high.

It is hard to truly contest players because you have to give players space to land and hard contests are likely to be fouls

KD's, Melo's, Dirk's, Steph maybe Kyrie I am missing somebody but you get the idea.
This guy gets it. Especially in relation to the guy everyone tries to use as the baseline model, Steph Curry.

That move against Denver where he dribbles around 5 dudes, step back turn around in a guys grill, splash. Watch Kerr's reaction. He is MAD AS HELL when curry tries that. And then is just dumbfounded when it drops. Any coach ever would tear their hair out at some of these shots...they really have no business falling

PSN: ViolenceFight
Instagram: @ViolenceFight

Last edited by ViolenceFight; 11-02-2015 at 12:47 AM.
Old 11-02-2015, 02:34 AM   #67
MVP

OVR: 1
2K16 has totally killed contested shooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolenceFight
Yeah, but not as many as you guys act like they do. You can also hit those in 2k16, and shoot at a decent rate. But if they ignore defense like people act like they want them to, this game will become who can hit more shots with bron or kobe. That's what 2k13 was. It wasn't basketball, it was what cheesy move can I exploit vs. What cheesy move they want to exploit.

Shooting is fine. The percentage of makes is on Par with real life.

This guy gets it. Especially in relation to the guy everyone tries to use as the baseline model, Steph Curry.

That move against Denver where he dribbles around 5 dudes, step back turn around in a guys grill, splash. Watch Kerr's reaction. He is MAD AS HELL when curry tries that. And then is just dumbfounded when it drops. Any coach ever would tear their hair out at some of these shots...they really have no business falling

That was actually against the Clippers, which made it all the more glorious. They were just wearing their gross baby blue uniforms.
Old 11-02-2015, 02:53 AM   #68
Rookie

Peninc's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessaPackMan
^You and people like you would hate that thread DC made that's on the 1st page, in regards to what should/shouldn't happen in the game.
The only things I want to happen in the 2K are the things I've seen in decades of watching the NBA....which are occasional spectacular plays made by star players. That means the odd late game end of the shot clock jumpshot with a defender all in your jersey etc. Nowadays in videogames everything is tailored towards stopping cheese during online game and multiplayer. Its not really about replicating what happens in the NBA...because the truth is what happens in the NBA sometimes just doesnt seem "fair"

Last edited by Peninc; 11-02-2015 at 02:58 AM.
Old 11-02-2015, 06:41 AM   #69
Banned

CanOfCornCobb's Arena

OVR: 0

Violence Fight...this is what im talking about! If you allow Curry or Lebron the ability to constantly make shots following a specific move the community will exploit it. I think the game is fine the way it is. All this thread is doing is fueling another post where next year people will complain that Curry and Lebron are hitting too many contested/impossible shots against them.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:02 AM   #70
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolenceFight
And they can hit those shots in the game. But you can't just spam that with them. Ultimately, as well, there needs to be balance to it. If they program Kobe to hit every fade away with a guy in his face....then I'm not going to play basketball.

I'm going to play: "Take nothing but contested fadeaway shots with Kobe".

All of these things happen in game. I've had Durant pop a Jumper in my grill he had no business taking and drain it. Is it every possession? No. Is it consistent? Somewhat. It's not automatic, nor should it be, It's a bad shot. Period.

Most of Currys shots people freak out over are bad shots that somehow drop. The shots he hits in real life in 5 people's grills are un realistic. They should NOT fall. He's amazing because they do.

People forget, and I think this is partially blamed on the internet, a highlight play is only a highlight because it's something that doesn't happen often, or shouldn't happen period. when I can load up an 8 minute video of curry, or Kobe highlights, it's easy to forget that most of these plays span careers, or multiple seasons. There shouldn't be 25 of them a game. There should be like 5 or 6 at max. Kobe shouldn't hit every bad shot because he's Kobe, and Curry has Airballed multiple times off wide open looks in real life.

This game simulates real basketball very well, and all you really need to look at is the "NBA if this happened in 2k thread" if you want to see what I mean.
I respectfully disagree. As is in the current state I will say the game does not simulate real NBA basketball well. Is it a great basketball game? Sure it Is. Have 2k made great strides? Absolutely. But to say it stimulates real NBA basketball is a reach. Fun game to play tho.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:31 AM   #71
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

So nothing that happens in the game simulates NBA ball? Is that hyperbole or are you being serious right now?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-02-2015, 08:41 AM   #72
MVP

Black Bruce Wayne's Arena

So if im not mistaken here, this thread is about not being able to cheese with Curry as you hoped? Or you expect to make every shot with Curry? This is one of several threads where a user specifically complained about not being able to dominate with Curry.

I think 2k is doing something right. I like to see how some of you actually play with Curry. Do you use plays? Do you actually try to get him open or do you spam up the court and shoot with him?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »