Home

I need your help understanding the finer aspects of basketball and 2k

This is a discussion on I need your help understanding the finer aspects of basketball and 2k within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-05-2015, 04:02 AM   #1
MVP

R9NALD9's Arena

OVR: 16
I need your help understanding the finer aspects of basketball and 2k

I've been a basketball fan ever since the Bulls and MJ got my attention when I was 12 years old. Living in South Africa we get very little coverage and what we do get is maybe a game here and there being broadcasted...no analysis etc.

Thus although I've been watching basketball for the last 20 years, played 2k since 2k3 on my trusty old PS2...there are a bunch of questions I have to better understand basketball concepts, and how to utilise them in 2k.

Recently, I've gained the knowledge of when to go over or under when a pick is set Though I have no idea what ICE means...or hedge to be honest.

My questions are:
  • Last night I lost to the Cavaliers, they scored 81 points in the paint...yeah totally. How do I stop this? I know 2k has problems with paint scoring and this year with help defense being a mess it's even more of a problem. Will switching to 2-3 zone help or what can I do? I felt powerless...Mozgov looked like the second coming of Olajuwon.
  • Why would someone force a ballhandler to the baseline?
  • Then also, why and when would you force them to the middle?
  • I try to run plays, but it seems as if they never pan out...even though I see and understand the indicators shown on court. Any advice?
  • What does hedge mean and what are ideal settings against shooters and driving players, hard or soft etc.?
  • If I pull up the quick plays and choose #playername isolation...what does that actually mean? I assume they'll try to get the guy open or isolate him? But what can I expect my team to do when I choose this?
  • The terminology used in the names of plays is absolutely greek to me. Do they mean anything or is it just names...Flex? 34 Dive? Post Iso? Power?
  • I've got help assist strength set to 100 in 2k16, what can I do to improve help defense? Is there anything at all? Has 2k touched the subject and whether it will be addressed in the next patch at all?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-05-2015, 04:26 AM   #2
Pro

ChiliPalmer's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: I need your help understanding the finer aspects of basketball and 2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by R9NALD9
I've been a basketball fan ever since the Bulls and MJ got my attention when I was 12 years old. Living in South Africa we get very little coverage and what we do get is maybe a game here and there being broadcasted...no analysis etc.

Thus although I've been watching basketball for the last 20 years, played 2k since 2k3 on my trusty old PS2...there are a bunch of questions I have to better understand basketball concepts, and how to utilise them in 2k.

Recently, I've gained the knowledge of when to go over or under when a pick is set Though I have no idea what ICE means...or hedge to be honest.

My questions are:
  • Last night I lost to the Cavaliers, they scored 81 points in the paint...yeah totally. How do I stop this? I know 2k has problems with paint scoring and this year with help defense being a mess it's even more of a problem. Will switching to 2-3 zone help or what can I do? I felt powerless...Mozgov looked like the second coming of Olajuwon.
  • Why would someone force a ballhandler to the baseline?
  • Then also, why and when would you force them to the middle?
  • I try to run plays, but it seems as if they never pan out...even though I see and understand the indicators shown on court. Any advice?
  • What does hedge mean and what are ideal settings against shooters and driving players, hard or soft etc.?
  • If I pull up the quick plays and choose #playername isolation...what does that actually mean? I assume they'll try to get the guy open or isolate him? But what can I expect my team to do when I choose this?
  • The terminology used in the names of plays is absolutely greek to me. Do they mean anything or is it just names...Flex? 34 Dive? Post Iso? Power?
  • I've got help assist strength set to 100 in 2k16, what can I do to improve help defense? Is there anything at all? Has 2k touched the subject and whether it will be addressed in the next patch at all?
Hey man, always good to hear, im in Europe and had to acquire a lot of deeper knowlege myself too. Went to Cape town this year btw, very cool city. First of all, i would recommend you buy a league pass. Its a lot cheaper in South Africa (and i think even more cheap in India or Canada ). You'll learn a lot and have very good commentators.

Now,

- ICE the P&R means trying to take away the screen by forcing the ball handler to the baseline.

Check these examples from the Bulls: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csxCcRieEAs

This will also answer your second question. There is no reason to force a ball handler to the middle irl, ion 2k this can be a setting to avoid "Baseline cheese" drives (third question).

- Hedge: You will find a lot of info here. the basics: "Hedging is a way to slow down the dribbler during the screen by stepping out to defend him briefly and then getting back to the original matchup. Below are the settings available:
  • Auto – Let the game logic decide.
  • No Hedge – The offball defender stays close to the screener.
  • Soft Hedge – The offball defender steps out to briefly impede/disrupt the dribbler’s path
  • Hard Hedge – The offball defender steps further out to force the dribbler to take a longer route around the screen

- ISO: your team will do nothing basically and give you the most space possible to beat your defender.

- terminologyof the plays: there is a great video by Czar here where this is all explained.
Reward DUNCAN
Diamond PORZINGOD

Bench: THE BIG O-GOONRICH-FlyersIGGY-GRANDMA-Ammy GERMINATOR
Old 11-05-2015, 04:38 AM   #3
MVP

R9NALD9's Arena

Wow great thanks a lot man! Much appreciated!

For anyone else interested, here is the video mentioned above:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg3eLKWw8aM

Last edited by R9NALD9; 11-05-2015 at 04:42 AM.
Old 11-05-2015, 04:48 AM   #4
Banned

bo.jangles344's Arena

OVR: 0

You force someone inside to make them meet your big men (if they rotate).
Old 11-05-2015, 05:31 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 12

Go here. Start with the defensive primer. Then go through the entire "Mens Rea teaches you things about basketball" series from part 1 to 5. It'll teach you why certain things happen on the court and what may have seemed like freestyling is actually deliberate. For real action footage of this check out bballbreakdown on YouTube - just search ice with his channel for ice defense. To know the reason for the names of plays, check out da Czar's channel. He has a video dedicated to it.

Last edited by Optik; 11-05-2015 at 06:00 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-05-2015, 06:16 AM   #6
MVP

deadlyCane's Arena

OVR: 17

I see Optik provided you some really in depth info explaining concepts a well as real world examples. Those are great. For how the defensive concepts and settings are best applied in 2k16 check out this thread: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...d.php?t=857255

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

MLB: Toronto Blue Jays
NBA: Toronto Raptors
CFL: Toronto Argonauts
NFL: Miami Dolphins
NCAA Football: Miami Hurricanes
NCAA Basketball: Miami Hurricanes
NCAA Baseball: Miami Hurricanes
Old 11-05-2015, 07:04 AM   #7
MVP

R9NALD9's Arena

Thank you everyone for contributing, I really appreciate it. I was at a point where I considered trading NBA 2k16 in as I just couldn't scrape through with a victory against the AI at all. I refuse to go down to pro as it just feels like I'm cheating.
Old 11-05-2015, 07:56 AM   #8
MVP

heelphreak's Arena

OVR: 6

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »