Home

Order of button presses when rebounding?

This is a discussion on Order of button presses when rebounding? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-08-2015, 11:11 AM   #1
Rookie

HarrySTruman's Arena

OVR: 0
Order of button presses when rebounding?

I'm not sure if I'm rebounding correctly in team play (e.g., MyTeam or MyLeague) against the AI on PS4. My biggest trouble is on offense.

On defense, I quickly select a big as the shot goes up (and often am already playing a big when the shot goes up), position the big to box out while pressing L2, and sometimes tap triangle to jump. I do okay with this, though as other players have noted, the CPU sometimes has unstoppable offensive rebounding chops.

On offense, after a shot goes up, I often do nothing, lol. What buttons should I press? Icon-select a big, then position to box out, then L2? For whatever reason, I never feel like I have time to do all that. I've read about pressing-and-holding the circle button. What does that do?

Thanks in advance.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-08-2015, 09:55 PM   #2
Rookie

HarrySTruman's Arena

Re: Order of button presses when rebounding?

Hmm, no replies. To simplify my question: what button(s) to push to make an offensive rebound? Quickly select big, then L2?
Old 11-09-2015, 02:43 AM   #3
Rookie

Yeh, I pretty much spam quick select hoping to end up using my center. Then I'll try to box out before hitting the jump for rebound button. Usually I'll balls it all up and watch spud webb out rebound me then throw my controller on the ground and rage quit.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:49 PM   #4
Rookie

HarrySTruman's Arena

Fuub, thanks for your reply. What's quick select? The "X" button on the PS4, I think? I have been trying R1 plus player-icon, but that takes too long; one only has a split-second to select someone for the offensive rebound.

Heh, and yeah, I get outrebounded by junior-varsity high school 5'4" guards.
Old 11-11-2015, 01:39 AM   #5
Rookie

HarrySTruman's Arena

So I watched one of Sam Phan's videos from last year, and he suggested the following sequence of button presses: shoot, then immediately tap X (PS4) to select the guy closest to the ball (a big man underneath), and then *jump* instead of boxing out. He says boxing out slows you down too much. I'm in the habit of boxing out because I watched a vid last year suggesting that one do that while the ball is in the air, but Sam says it's better just to move your big manually into position, then jump once the shot misses. Mind you, I'm thinking here of team play (MyTeam, MyLeague), not MyCareer or MyPark.

Sam also suggests practicing this by scrimmaging with "made shot" set to zero, so that all you do is rebound all day long, lol. I'm gonna try that. But I'm curious whether anyone has tried this shoot-X-move-jump sequence of button presses.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-12-2015, 11:51 AM   #6
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

Very good but tricky question. Because I've boxed out bigs with little guys. But still get out rebound most of the time. With certain big men. I can't rebound for nothing. But they have high ratings in rebounding. It's weird.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:05 PM   #7
Pro

Similar (or exactly) what Sam Pham says, tap X (I'm a PS4 user) immediately after you shoot the shot, box out IF you have proper positioning, and hold R2 and Y for the aggressive jump. Predict where the miss will arrive.

Also, put your POE on Crash offensive rebounds. This will get them in more of a advantageous position for the board instead of falling back and fighting your own CPU so to speak when the shot goes up.

The most important aspect to offense rebounding is very similar to real life... Either get the shot up QUICKLY in transition while your bigs are still running up court and have the momentum and aren't in front of the defender OR utilize pick and roll so the defense will collapse and the big comes over to help, which of course gives your big the space necessary to converge for the offensive rebound. Keep in mind you also have a rolling big man to follow your shot as well.

Let me know if I helped!
Old 11-12-2015, 09:03 PM   #8
Rookie

HarrySTruman's Arena

You did help. I put my POE to Crash both offensive and defensive boards, and lo and behold, I've done as well or better as my CPU opponent in my last couple of games. I get only 2-3 offensive rebounds a game, but the computer gets only a couple as well.

I've still got work to do. Sometimes I remember to hit X then control a big right after the shot, but all too often I just sit there and admire the shot after I've sent it on its way.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »