Home

How to keep your cool while losing ?

This is a discussion on How to keep your cool while losing ? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-11-2015, 07:37 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: How to keep your cool while losing ?

I stopped caring all that much when playing the CPU, though the memory of going borderline insane with the Two Brothers Challenge (and a few others) in 2K15 is actually very recent.

What actually does bother me is playing PvP online. Fundamentally, this is a video game and playing a video game will ultimately come down to effectively doing things that improve the chance of winning. The line between good play and cheese is not black-and-white. It's not in real life, either. When the Warriors beat Memphis by 50, or when Curry dropped 53 on the Pelicans, you could imagine that the Grizzlies and Pelicans players had the same sort of feeling we all had when three-point cheesers dropped ridiculous distance shooting on us in online play in 2K15.

But just as the Warriors offense is at least partially structured due to best exploiting the rules of the game with what is analytically superior, cheesers are just exploiting what the game allows them to do.

So the answer is to just get better so that whatever the opponent does, you can perform better than he can. And playing the game can be relaxing, instead of infuriating. It took me a while with the CPU, and I won't ever really get there in PvP play, but that's the aspiration...
Old 11-11-2015, 08:29 PM   #18
MVP

How to keep your cool while losing ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockie_Fresh88
Lol I say I bet you can't beat me in real life . Im childish Bruh

Lol I suck in real life so I don't even take it there. Me and my brother almost came to blows of the trash talk lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-11-2015, 10:14 PM   #19
Rookie

I think it's a skill, mate, and it takes time and practice. I played very competitive league pool for many years and this sport is all about controlling thoughts and emotions. I went from choleric in my early 20s to pretty cool no matter what in a couple of years, but you have to be willing to. Eventually staying calm becomes your second nature.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:51 PM   #20
Banned

OVR: 20

During the game? Literally forget about the score and focus on one possession at a time. I mean unless you're down 40 or something all it takes is something like a 9-0 or 10-2 run to cut a big lead right in half. I mean you go from down 24 to down 14 or 13, it's amazing how different it feels.

During the year? Like losing five in a row or something? I play all 82 so the whole "it's a marathon not a sprint" thing is huge for me. Just win the next one and go from there.

Online or against humans in general, I wouldn't know, I only play MyGM, but I suspect it has to do with maturity, collectedness, patience, etc., basically what Schijan said.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:59 AM   #21
Pro

YungGun's Arena

During the game if I'm losing I tend to focus a little bit more on the game and cancel out everything else that's going on around me, whether I'm talking to someone while I'm playing or if I'm simply multitasking. By doing this and staying calm I limit my mistakes and pick up on my opponents tendencies and figure out a way to counter.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-12-2015, 04:57 AM   #22
MVP

it is a GAME. No one goes mad for losing a game inless he is under 15. If you still get mad, it is probably because something else creates pressure to your personal life (family/job/school etc) and you just snap on the easy part. It is easier to scream to 2k than to your wife or boss, sadly.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:00 AM   #23
Rookie

I try to focus on "doing the right thing" at all times, in every possession.

I missed a wide open 3 and my opponent scored an easy fast break point off of that rebound? It's okay. I found and took the right shot, did the right thing. I just gotta run back better next time. And as long as I take better shots than my opponent, I have a better chance of winning.

Opponent made a ridiculous contact lay up, or a contested deep 3? It's fine, he'll miss more of those shots than he makes, in the long run. I just gotta keep defending the same way, forcing him into taking tough shots.

Good thing about "trying to do the right thing" is, it will make one improve regardless of the result of that one game. You can lose by 20 points, but keeping calm and trying to "do the right thing", trying to create good scoring opportunities against a great defensive team, or trying to find a better defensive way of stopping a great offensive team, eventually improves your game.

That's why I am against quitting games that I'm losing. I almost always finish my games. Because if I just quit without learning anything from the opponent who beat me, I won't have a better chance of winning against him next time.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:47 AM   #24
Pro

OVR: 1

When ur mad and a timeout is being called, dont immediately click it away. Just take ur time and take a big breath, a bit of water or something lol.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »