Home

Post Patch On-Ball Defense

This is a discussion on Post Patch On-Ball Defense within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-01-2015, 08:41 AM   #73
MVP

sirjam's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: Post Patch On-Ball Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
IDK, on ball D is pretty fun for me online- it's a challenge- though like I said in the other thread- it could use some tightening to make up for lag...

https://vid.me/L4nM

EZ are you using LT, RS at all? Can't tell in the vid
I wanna ask u the samething. Are u using rstick to cutoff or was you using Lt?
Old 12-01-2015, 10:46 AM   #74
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38
Post Patch On-Ball Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjam
I wanna ask u the samething. Are u using rstick to cutoff or was you using Lt?

A combination.....guarding with LT + RT- when I see what angle they're taking I throw the stick to that side to cut them off.....deep in the paint I throw the stick straight up to contest
Old 12-01-2015, 03:02 PM   #75
MVP

ViolenceFight's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
A combination.....guarding with LT + RT- when I see what angle they're taking I throw the stick to that side to cut them off.....deep in the paint I throw the stick straight up to contest
This. I used to think all that right stick stuff was silly. Started using it little by little this year. Don't understand how I played without it.

In park, it's L2 anytime I think I'll make contact, let go of it to move. R2 if I need to catch up. Predict the direction, cut it off with LS and L2, throw the RS that way to trigger a bump, use the separation off the bump to cut off the next angle the same way. Frustrates people when they get locked down trying to zig zag, especially if they don't even get to take 2 steps in the other direction.

You guess wrong sometimes, but error is human

PSN: ViolenceFight
Instagram: @ViolenceFight
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-01-2015, 03:52 PM   #76
Pro

TheDuggler's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESRyder312
I took a week off to see if anything would change, but nothing changed.

At this point, I seem to play more to see how bad the non-contact animations can get. So, here's more proof that 2K needs to tweak something.

How are you doing this? I can't replicate that kind of sliding no matter what I do. Are you pressing LT at all?

What platform are you on?

Also playing right up on your man at all time isn't good defense
Old 12-01-2015, 05:02 PM   #77
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolenceFight
This. I used to think all that right stick stuff was silly. Started using it little by little this year. Don't understand how I played without it.

In park, it's L2 anytime I think I'll make contact, let go of it to move. R2 if I need to catch up. Predict the direction, cut it off with LS and L2, throw the RS that way to trigger a bump, use the separation off the bump to cut off the next angle the same way. Frustrates people when they get locked down trying to zig zag, especially if they don't even get to take 2 steps in the other direction.

You guess wrong sometimes, but error is human

This. Good post.
Old 12-01-2015, 05:04 PM   #78
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDuggler
How are you doing this? I can't replicate that kind of sliding no matter what I do. Are you pressing LT at all?

It's not good defense: he's expecting some kind of stickiness to trigger and lock his dude magnetically onto the offensive player - playing that tight should be criminal harassment lol

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
Old 12-01-2015, 05:42 PM   #79
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
You get a lot of fouls called on you when you hold the stick straight up(pause)?

I get that quite a few times although it could be because I'm holding it at slight angle.
Old 12-01-2015, 06:01 PM   #80
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDuggler

What do you mean, "How are you doing this?" I'm on PS4. I use L2 heavily. I also use R2 and RS as some of the above posts have mentioned.

Also, this is online. NOT AGAINST A CPU. This does not happen often, if ever, against CPU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzsomehanz
It's not good defense: he's expecting some kind of stickiness to trigger and lock his dude magnetically onto the offensive player - playing that tight should be criminal harassment lol

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
Frankly, I do not care if either of you think it is good defense or not. If I beat someone to a spot, there should be contact. Period. No ifs, ands, or buts. That is elementary physics. Two objects cannot occupy the same spot at the same time. If two objects try to occupy the same spot at the same time, there is conflict--in terms people, there is contact. Maybe even bumping.

I know some of you fools here are going to say something like, "No, man, that's a foul," "There is not that much bumping in the NBA," or "That's not real defense." If you were one of those, watch these videos, and tell me if you change your mind.

For the lazy, watch the following marks on the Dellavedova video: :50, 1:25, 3:52, 4:31, 4:40.

Now, I understand this probably will not change your stubborn minds, but you cannot argue that there is not that much physicality in the NBA.

If someone gets beat to a spot, there is going to be contact. There also is going to be bumping.

I feel like some of you that complain about the excessive contact have never played actual, organized basketball. So, I would not expect you to understand the level of physicality in an actual game.

I also feel the majority of people complaining are probably the same people who play pickup ball and yell, "Foul" every time an aggressive defender is playing you. In actuality, you probably are wrong most of the time. But I digress.

AGAIN, my gripes are about online play. With this new patch, playing on-ball defense online against people who try to turbo to the basket all game, as I showed on the videos I have posted throughout this thread, has become annoying because of the lack of contact.

If a defender plays up on someone, and he predicts the offensive player's movements, the defender should be able to cut off the offensive player's movement. It should not matter if he is a sub par defender. It is simple f***ing physics.

There are other factors into being a defender, such as speed and wingspan. Obviously, Russell Westbrook should be able to get around Kyle Korver with ease. But if Korver beats Westbrook to a spot, Korver should not be sliding out of Westbrook's way. There should be contact, regardless of how terrible a defender you think Korver is. There should also probably be bumping because you have to players colliding. What is so difficult about this concept?

This patch essentially has taken away the reward of playing on-ball defense. Players who legitimately know how to defend and cut players off are not rewarded as they were pre-patch. It is quite simple.

Last edited by ESRyder312; 12-01-2015 at 06:17 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »