Home

What has 2K done to dribbling/major issues with it?

This is a discussion on What has 2K done to dribbling/major issues with it? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 11:23 AM   #9
MVP

ViolenceFight's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: What has 2K done to dribbling/major issues with it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthurt
When players start loosing the ball just from doing size ups then ill complain but this video just shows you what your not supposed to do, then its with Paul Pierce who is far from an elite dribbler to make an even better case for 2k fixing this correctly in the patch.

I agree with 24th just learn the game in what you can get away with and what you cant, and since the patch you can no longer run up on the defender and do a quick crossover though the defenders body so I am glad about that, but if you hit that same cross over with some space between you and the defender then you will see that you can complete the animation correctly without stumbling over yourself.
Yeah. I'm frustrated with the patch, but I also haven't been in the lab after it either. I need to spend 2 or 3 hours in mycourt and in career to see if I can figure out something.

I feel like slowing the launches hindered dribbling a lot. But I haven't played around enough to really re learn them since patch 3 either.

PSN: ViolenceFight
Instagram: @ViolenceFight
Old 11-16-2015, 11:24 AM   #10
Banned

KGDunks's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthurt
When players start loosing the ball just from doing size ups then ill complain but this video just shows you what your not supposed to do, then its with Paul Pierce who is far from an elite dribbler to make an even better case for 2k fixing this correctly in the patch.

I agree with 24th just learn the game in what you can get away with and what you cant, and since the patch you can no longer run up on the defender and do a quick crossover though the defenders body so I am glad about that, but if you hit that same cross over with some space between you and the defender then you will see that you can complete the animation correctly without stumbling over yourself.
Paul Pierce can dribble a basketball. He's no Allen Iverson or Kyrie Irving but he's made a career on using nifty moves to get to his spots on the court. 2008 Pierce would get past Drew Gooden every time, not dribble into his body just because I didn't execute a crossover move.

I will learn the game. Nice to see you ignored that part of my post. However, how else is 2K meant to fix issues in the past if we just ignore them and be content with what the game is currently like? If we did that we would still be trying to stop all the spin cheese from 2K9.

2K definitely needs to implement a wider array of dribbling moves for tight situations in the future. Right now there's hardly any and a turbo move results in either a turnover by way of your defender doing what Pierce did or maybe an animation where your player puts it out in front like he's on a fastbreak. You should be able to do speed dribble like moves, get down low, protect it properly. The ball should stick to your players hands much better right now it doesn't. Where is the sense in denying that this needs some improvements going forward?
Old 11-16-2015, 11:33 AM   #11
Banned

KGDunks's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
You watch my video? I'm literally doing what your saying can't be done.

Yes, you should lose the ball in this situation.....you actually posted an example of the live ball working. Yes, there was clipping....but it recognized that you were dribbling directly into someone and you lost the ball. You want a tighter dribble in that situation, do one.

As much as I hear, "it's seems like the game is playing itself", "I have no control" this is a situation where you do and we don't want to use it....
Yes I did, that is what I'm saying. Pierce in that situation doesn't recognise how close LeBron is to him and literally puts the ball right near his body. In other instances that type of play results in the flawed collison detection with the live ball tracking and a turnover. Sizeups aren't the pet peeve anyway with me. You can still control to a decent extent to ensure you don't lose the ball. The Pierce example just happened to be the first one that happened.

That's the thing man, you don't have much control over tight dribbles. 2K needs to bringing in what FIFA brought in a few years back where you can differentiate between dribbling in open play in 1 v1 situations etc and using tight dribbling in congested situations. That's my biggest beef.Operating out of the pick and roll as a wing/one and dribbling towards the basket, the lack of proper dribbling animations for congested situations where other defenders can get in front of you/to the side of you etc can make for some really ugly and unrealistic results. That's where I'm seeing the bulk of my turnovers. I lost a ton of the ball with Teague online because my opponent was simply accidentally getitng in the way of Teague while the ball was being dribble way too loosely.

It's frustrating and has been an issue with 2K's dribbling for years. Give us that ability to do what a Curry or CP3 type does in that situation. Differentiate between the elite ball handlers and the guys with sloppy handles that could easily dribble too loosely in that situation.

It also ties back to why people find Curry so hit and miss. A lot of Curry's game in real life revolves around a multitude of dribbling moves and splitting the pick and roll not just sizing up the defender and trying to shake him with picks, yet in 2K it's near impossible to do that kind of thing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-16-2015, 11:36 AM   #12
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

......but I didn't lose the ball, are rarely lose the ball in those tight quarters because I did a quick cross over and blew past the defender...not a wide change in direction.....I'm confused as to what you're saying at this point...
Old 11-16-2015, 11:43 AM   #13
Pro

Jhawkfootball06's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGDunks
Paul Pierce can dribble a basketball. He's no Allen Iverson or Kyrie Irving but he's made a career on using nifty moves to get to his spots on the court. 2008 Pierce would get past Drew Gooden every time, not dribble into his body just because I didn't execute a crossover move.

I will learn the game. Nice to see you ignored that part of my post. However, how else is 2K meant to fix issues in the past if we just ignore them and be content with what the game is currently like? If we did that we would still be trying to stop all the spin cheese from 2K9.

2K definitely needs to implement a wider array of dribbling moves for tight situations in the future. Right now there's hardly any and a turbo move results in either a turnover by way of your defender doing what Pierce did or maybe an animation where your player puts it out in front like he's on a fastbreak. You should be able to do speed dribble like moves, get down low, protect it properly. The ball should stick to your players hands much better right now it doesn't. Where is the sense in denying that this needs some improvements going forward?
You are playing the game. Did Paul Pierce try and run aimlessly into Drew Gooden without any respect for the basketball? No, he didn't. He was faster and did some dribble moves that allowed him to go right around.

In your video you didn't even try and go slightly left or right in regards to the defender. You ran directly into him, all in the while holding turbo. Are you supposed to just morph right past his body?
Old 11-16-2015, 11:43 AM   #14
Banned

KGDunks's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
......but I didn't lose the ball, are rarely lose the ball in those tight quarters because I did a quick cross over and blew past the defender...not a wide change in direction.....I'm confused as to what you're saying at this point...
I'm saying Pierce did the same dribble move as he would if LeBron was standing off him. In real life there's no way he does a crossover so loosely when LeBron is in his grill. LeBron would eat that up in an instant.

What I'm trying to get at is attacking the paint. Especially off the pick and roll. There's simply too much congestion (which is realistic) and not enough options for the dribbler. We basically get the same dribble moves to use regardless of the situation. It's not situational enough. The player needs to better react to where he is, who is impacting on his path so we see less of these ugly sequences.

Right now like I said, begin attacking your defender/going to the basket and it can result in your player loosely throwing it off a defender's leg/back, doing moves that are never going to work inches from the paint and not being able to lose a defender with a bit of craftiness that guards constantly use in real life in those situations.

They do have some of Curry's signature splitting animations, but they seem very rigid and only really can be pulled off when space is abundant.
Old 11-16-2015, 11:46 AM   #15
Banned

KGDunks's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhawkfootball06
You are playing the game. Did Paul Pierce try and run aimlessly into Drew Gooden without any respect for the basketball? No, he didn't. He was faster and did some dribble moves that allowed him to go right around.

In your video you didn't even try and go slightly left or right in regards to the defender. You ran directly into him, all in the while holding turbo. Are you supposed to just morph right past his body?
I was pushing the stick right on that move, I'm not some stupid idiot thinking he's using Marshawn Lynch on first down in Madden.

Regardless, in that situation with the game still being based so heavily on canned animations, Pierce should go into a protect ball type animation or at the very least Gooden should strip him/force him to pick his dribble up. He shouldn't be able to throw the ball through Gooden.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-16-2015, 11:49 AM   #16
Banned

KGDunks's Arena

Regardless my example was mainly to highlight the major issue with morphing that seems to have reared it's ugly head again. That's one issue.

My other issue is that I want access to more animations when I go to the basket, like I said. So I can avoid constantly losing the ball with Jeff Teague or whoever for no reason whatsoever when he goes to the hoop. It definitely needs addressing in 2K17.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »