Home

What has 2K done to dribbling/major issues with it?

This is a discussion on What has 2K done to dribbling/major issues with it? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 10:32 AM   #1
Banned

KGDunks's Arena

OVR: 0
What has 2K done to dribbling/major issues with it?

2K has always had a bit of an issue with dribbling, dating back to my earlier days playing 2K9 and 10 where the bumpers were used to initiate moves and made things really tough to get a handle on. I've always felt live has done dribbling better in terms of being able to actually break down your man to get shots off or get to a spot. 2K has slowly being getting closer to that. When 2K16 came out I really thought they almost had it. With some slight adjustments to defender strength and a few more dribbling improvements down the line I thought they were real close.

However, I don't know what has happened since then and the latest patch has only made this glaring issue even more blatant.

At the start of 2K16 this issue with players morphing through one another and the ball doing the same seemed like a thing of the past, but it sadly seems to have returned. Maybe I just hadn't played enough but now it is really potent and it is affecting dribbling in a very negative way.

2K has not yet got to the stage where we can really control the ball in tight spaces.

I'm talking about the type of moves made by Curry above, as well as the low to the ground, away from the defender moves the likes of Dwyane Wade and CP3 also use to split the defender and burst to a certain area of the court/the basket for a shot or whatever.

Right now with the recent patch trying to get to the hole with a defender or two in the vicinity is like playing russian roulette. Riddled with danger. In my first game post patch with the nifty Jeff Teague and the Hawks online, I counted 6 turnovers from similiar animations to the one above with Pierce.

Yes, I'll adjust my play, but that won't change the fact this makes a significant aspect of basketball in 2K that much more difficult, and at times a game breaking experience. Sadly, the live ball tracking seems to be a sham once again. And for some reason players still can go through each other, as can the ball which either goes through or just cannons off defenders. Offensive players sadly have no way of avoiding this until 2K gives us the ability to to protect the ball when heading to the hoop in a much better way.

I'm happy to post more videos when I wake up (late here in Australia), as it's definitely something 2K can't ignore.

Last edited by KGDunks; 11-16-2015 at 10:36 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-16-2015, 10:58 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 1
Re: What has 2K done to dribbling/major issues with it?

I hope 2kdevs see this thread because these complaints are legit. If 2k wants to consider themselves sim and authentic they will need to implement these ideas right away.
Old 11-16-2015, 10:58 AM   #3
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Problem on your video is that you didn't cross over, you just switched ball hands in traffic and what should have happened, happened though it wasn't great looking cosmetically...

Here are two cross overs in close quarters....one on LBJ who stops me and one vs a weaker defender.

https://vid.me/Vh0m

The removal of the hitches has made the dribbling a lot better, you just have to lab a bit with the change
Old 11-16-2015, 11:03 AM   #4
Banned

BegBy's Arena

OVR: 3

Dribbling is pretty meh and since the patch I am scared to go near defenders. I guess it forces some turnovers, which is cool because this game needs turnovers, but I am not really in love with this particular method. It may not be intentional because some of these turnovers are pretty suspicious.

People will tell you to get better and protect the ball, so get ready for that.
Old 11-16-2015, 11:03 AM   #5
Pro

Jhawkfootball06's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGDunks
2K has always had a bit of an issue with dribbling, dating back to my earlier days playing 2K9 and 10 where the bumpers were used to initiate moves and made things really tough to get a handle on. I've always felt live has done dribbling better in terms of being able to actually break down your man to get shots off or get to a spot. 2K has slowly being getting closer to that. When 2K16 came out I really thought they almost had it. With some slight adjustments to defender strength and a few more dribbling improvements down the line I thought they were real close.

However, I don't know what has happened since then and the latest patch has only made this glaring issue even more blatant.

At the start of 2K16 this issue with players morphing through one another and the ball doing the same seemed like a thing of the past, but it sadly seems to have returned. Maybe I just hadn't played enough but now it is really potent and it is affecting dribbling in a very negative way.

2K has not yet got to the stage where we can really control the ball in tight spaces.

I'm talking about the type of moves made by Curry above, as well as the low to the ground, away from the defender moves the likes of Dwyane Wade and CP3 also use to split the defender and burst to a certain area of the court/the basket for a shot or whatever.

Right now with the recent patch trying to get to the hole with a defender or two in the vicinity is like playing russian roulette. Riddled with danger. In my first game post patch with the nifty Jeff Teague and the Hawks online, I counted 6 turnovers from similiar animations to the one above with Pierce.

Yes, I'll adjust my play, but that won't change the fact this makes a significant aspect of basketball in 2K that much more difficult, and at times a game breaking experience. Sadly, the live ball tracking seems to be a sham once again. And for some reason players still can go through each other, as can the ball which either goes through or just cannons off defenders. Offensive players sadly have no way of avoiding this until 2K gives us the ability to to protect the ball when heading to the hoop in a much better way.

I'm happy to post more videos when I wake up (late here in Australia), as it's definitely something 2K can't ignore.
There was a guy right in front of you, and instead of trying to go left or go right you decided to turbo right into him while switching ball hands at the same time...

And you don't feel like you should have lost it?

I mean you literally held turbo and ran straight into him.

Last edited by Jhawkfootball06; 11-16-2015 at 11:05 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-16-2015, 11:17 AM   #6
Banned

KGDunks's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Problem on your video is that you didn't cross over, you just switched ball hands in traffic and what should have happened, happened though it wasn't great looking cosmetically...

Here are two cross overs in close quarters....one on LBJ who stops me and one vs a weaker defender.

https://vid.me/Vh0m

The removal of the hitches has made the dribbling a lot better, you just have to lab a bit with the change
It shouldn't be happening that's just it. If it doesn't make sense for that move to be pulled off why should it happen? I can't even remember what I was doing to be honest, I just went straight into a game and started messing around with isomotion and that happens. In real life Pierce would be far more protective of the ball and would probably put it low to the ground or away from the defender. 2K's physics engine doesn't recognise this and people are constantly copping ugly plays like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhawkfootball06
There was a guy right in front of you, and instead of trying to go left or go right you decided to turbo right into him while switching ball hands at the same time...

And you don't feel like you should have lost it?

I mean you literally held turbo and ran straight into him.

I was messing around with the sticks. I shouldn't lose the ball by having it morph through the defender. There's countless other instances where your player literally just puts the ball into his defender when you try to move towards the hoop, and there's not a thing you can do about it except walk around the court like Gary Payton dribbling up the court and forget about dribble penetration on a constant basis. That in itself is ridiculous seeing as the NBA is all about it nowadays.

Players also use similar manoeuvres constantly in real life. Not every player aims to use nasty crossovers to get to a spot on the court. What I was saying initially is that the next game or even this one if they can make the engine a bit better needs to better detect where the defender is situated and prevent your player from putting the ball in the way of the defender. Honestly how often in NBA games do you see players lose the ball by hitting it onto the defender?

Last edited by KGDunks; 11-16-2015 at 11:19 AM.
Old 11-16-2015, 11:17 AM   #7
MVP

cthurt's Arena

OVR: 3

When players start loosing the ball just from doing size ups then ill complain but this video just shows you what your not supposed to do, then its with Paul Pierce who is far from an elite dribbler to make an even better case for 2k fixing this correctly in the patch.

I agree with 24th just learn the game in what you can get away with and what you cant, and since the patch you can no longer run up on the defender and do a quick crossover though the defenders body so I am glad about that, but if you hit that same cross over with some space between you and the defender then you will see that you can complete the animation correctly without stumbling over yourself.
Old 11-16-2015, 11:22 AM   #8
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGDunks
It shouldn't be happening that's just it. If it doesn't make sense for that move to be pulled off why should it happen? I can't even remember what I was doing to be honest, I just went straight into a game and started messing around with isomotion and that happens. In real life Pierce would be far more protective of the ball and would probably put it low to the ground or away from the defender. 2K's physics engine doesn't recognise this and people are constantly copping ugly plays like this.

I was messing around with the sticks. I shouldn't lose the ball by having it morph through the defender. There's countless other instances where your player literally just puts the ball into his defender when you try to move towards the hoop, and there's not a thing you can do about it except walk around the court like Gary Payton dribbling up the court and forget about dribble penetration on a constant basis. That in itself is ridiculous seeing as the NBA is all about it nowadays.

You watch my video? I'm literally doing what your saying can't be done.

Yes, you should lose the ball in this situation.....you actually posted an example of the live ball working. Yes, there was clipping....but it recognized that you were dribbling directly into someone and you lost the ball. You want a tighter dribble in that situation, do one.

As much as I hear, "it's seems like the game is playing itself", "I have no control" this is a situation where you do and we don't want to use it....
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »