Home

Official NBA 2K16 CBA, Salary Cap, and Complete Player Contracts' Corrections

This is a discussion on Official NBA 2K16 CBA, Salary Cap, and Complete Player Contracts' Corrections within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-30-2015, 01:34 PM   #1
The Real Birdman

Mikelopedia's Arena

OVR: 1
Official NBA 2K16 CBA, Salary Cap, and Complete Player Contracts' Corrections

Hey guys,

My favorite mode in NBA 2K is and will always be MyLeague. For as long as I can remember I have lived for franchise mode in sports games, and if you're anything like me and a stickler for details, we want to have the most authentic experience possible.

While NBA 2k16 took the first (of hopefully many, we accessory heads agree) major steps towards complete customization of the experience, there's one massively important aspect to any authentic and robust franchise experience that is either overlooked or deemed too complex to boggle the average user with. Salary Cap Rules.

The Collective Bargaining Agreement is something that I believe all hardcore NBA fans should begin to understand. And I think NBA 2K should help educate users who don't. The ability to differentiate ESPN speculation and fiction from financial reality is something I don't take for granted. Users of MyLeague and MyGM modes should experience those realities as they choose these modes to do just that, to take the reins of their favorite (or all 30 as in my case and many more like me) franchise. The developers know we are the ones who play these modes, so there should be no fear catering to us. However, while the casual fan goes straight to MyCareer and MyPark, they may also wonder why LeBron James never resigns with Cleveland in their MyCareer.

Post #1:
Contains an extensive list and analysis of all missing features/rules or incorrect rules in NBA 2k16's MyLeague/GM/Career modes. This is both a list of hopeful corrections in another patch and a wishlist for 2k17. (I'll post this in Dave's thread as well.)

Post #2:
Contains all individual player contracts' corrections needed. I made a list last year for 2k15 but this year I was able to go more indepth. These include contract numbers, missing extentions, options, original contract length, bird years, and free agent type (UFA or RFA). Bird Years were not updated from 2k15 to 2k16 so to keep the list from including essentially the entire league, I only included corrections that directly impact their free agency. For example if a player is on a 3 year contract with no options, it doesn't matter what his bird years are as he'll be a Bird Free Agent at the end of the contract regardless.

Original Contract Length is something that's necessary for determining whether or not a player is eligible for an extention. Currently, users cannot extend Andrew Wiggins in 2017 or any 2nd or 3rd year first round pick (in their respective 4th year) as all those players only have 3 years as their original contract length (4 years is needed).

For those wondering where to see whether a player is an Unrestricted Free Agent (UFA) or a Restricted Free Agent (RFA), you can check your teams' Propose Trade screen. You'll notice there are a few issues per team as guys like Steph Curry are inexplicably RFA's while guys like Jimmy Butler weren't updated when they signed their deals. Also there is a weird isolated bug where TJ McConnell does not appear in the Propose Trade screen.

Theses corrections have already been sent to 2kStauff with the hopes that he can make these corrections as soon as possible in a Roster Update. These are VITAL to the experience as they directly impact what a user can and can't do. I will update the list as he hopefully makes corrections. I posted my list last year much later in the season so hopefully this gives Mike some more time as last year he only was able to add missing extentions and a couple 76ers corrections.

Feel free to discuss and post any feedback!
Refer back to here: http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm

Early Bird and Non-Bird Rights-
Bird rights work just fine (assuming they are assigned properly in the roster which they are not) but here are the issues with Early and Non Bird Rights even though they DO exist in 2k!
  • Non Bird Free Agent-
    Player with 1 year of bird rights at season's end. Team is able to exceed the cap to sign him up to 120% of his previous salary (not more than the maximum obviously), 120% of the minimum salary, or the amount to offer a qualifying offer if they are a RFA. Length is limited to 1-4 years with 4.5% raises of the first year salary.
  • Early Bird Free Agent-
    Player with 2 years of bird rights at season's end. Team is able to exceed the cap to sign him up to 175% of his previous salary (not more than the maximum) or 104.5% of the average salary from the previous season. Length must be at least 2 years (but can include an option as LeBron's did this summer) and up to 4 years with 7.5% raises of the first year salary.

The only things missing from what I just listed are the 7.5% raises for Early Birds and the minimum of 2 years requirement.

However, while doing some testing with free agency in myleague, I noticed that while non-bird and early bird OFFERS exist in the game, you cannot exceed the cap to use them as teams can in reality.*

Say, I as a team fill up almost all of my cap space. If I try to offer a free agent a contract it will only allow me to offer the remaining cap space I have. If I negotiate with a player such as Drummond, their demanded salary will appear in red, indicating I can't offer that much. This is all accurate.

However, when I negotiate with one of my own free agents who has 2 years of bird rights after the season making him an early bird qualifyer, I can actually offer up to 175% of his previous salary, (but again missing the 7.5% raises and 2 year contract length minimum though).

But when I go to sign the player in the pending offers screen, it says I do not have enough cap room.*

Take LeBron James for example (although in 2k he incorrectly has only 1 bird year at the end of the year). While, as Cleveland, I can offer him a non-bird salary (which exceeds the cap) I can't complete the signing. This is why LeBron never stays in Cleveland unless he accepts his Player Option.

It's great that the dev team has the salary structure rules in place to at least make the offer according to non bird and early bird free agents, but since they forgot to add the rule that teams are aloud to exceed to cap to complete those signings, it becomes useless.*

**see question 25 in FAQ for reference**

Minimum Contracts-
Currently in 2K, there is only one minimum contract available, which is the rookie minimum.

Minimum Contracts amounts are scaled each year depending on years played.
In 2015-2016:
0 years: $525k
1 years: $845k
2 years: $947k

This scale continues up to 10+ [b]HOWEVER[b], for any player who has 3 years experience or more (entering their 4th season as 2k displays what year they are in rather than how many years experience they've accumulated) the league reimburses the team for the difference between the 2 years experience salary ($947k in this year's case) and what the veteran is actually being paid. Therefore, even a player with 3-10+ years experience counts as $947k in Team Salary. This is why if you look through the 2k official roster, both Jared Cunningham and James Jones have contracts of $947k.

The exception to this (David West) is when players sign a two year deal, the league does not reimburse the difference. So as 10+ year vet, David West counts as $1.50m this season and $1.55m next.

On multi year deals, the minimum for that season for how many years experience the player will have in that particular season is used. Hence, 2015-2016 3 year undrafted rookie deals look like this:
Year 1: $525k
Year 2: $875k
Year 3: $1.01m

*Note that minimum contracts that are 3 or 4 years in length don't count as an exception as the minimum exception can be no longer than 2 years. These multi year deals are signed using cap space or a portion of the MLE.

Lastly, free agents need better logic as far as accepting these deals. In 2k, a situation like the Spurs signing David West to a minimum deal is impossible to replicate even though it happens all the time. (Not the opting out of 11 mil part though lol).

Signing someone to a minimum exception shouldn't come out of a team's MLE (again unless its's a 3 or 4 year minimum deal).

**See question 16 in FAQ for reference as well as complete scale through 2020-2021 season**

"Hard Cap"-
The Hard Cap should be removed as there is no such thing as a hard cap as 2k defines it.

The only time a team is "hard capped" is when a team uses an exception that they would not be able to use if they were above the tax apron.

Example: A team who is over the cap but under the tax apron uses their full mid level exception (non-taxpayer). They are now not able to exceed the tax apron under any circumstances unless they cut payroll. (I'll elaborate on this in the Contract Types section).

**see question 28 in FAQ for reference**

Extentions-
Only veteran extentions currently exist in game. While 2k has the rule right of when players are eligible for extentions, (if the original contract was 4 years in length) you can only sign them to veteran extentions (3 years). Also, 1st round pick rookie deals can be extended between the start of free agency up until Oct 31 (or the first business day after Oct 31) and veterans can be extended all the way up until June 30. In 2k, the deadline for everyone is the last day of February.

*On that note, teams must accept or decline ROOKIE team options for the following season before Oct 31 as well*

Players in the 4th year of their rookie deals who were 1st round picks can be extended for 4 years, or 5 if they are the team's Designated 5th Year Player (designated 5th year players must include 7.5% raises and be for the maximum salary). Teams can only have one of these players under contract at a time and can only trade for an additional one.

Players who have 0-6 years experience can qualify for a 30% of the cap max 5 year deal rather than 25% if they win MVP, make the AllStar game as a starter twice, or make an All NBA team twice while on their rookie contract.

The salary numbers aren't filled in until the cap is determined for the first year of the extention. Therefore, players like Anthony Davis's numbers should change in 2016-2017 to reflect the change in salary cap.
Also, players who negotiate a 5 year 25% max deal but who say, win MVP in their 4th year of the rookie deal after already signing the extention, should see their numbers changed to a 30% max, as Anthony Davis is almost guaranteed to do as he'll be an all star starter twice and likely a 2nd All NBA team vote. (And visa versa if they DON'T meet the 30% criteria).

Veteran extentions are good, only missing the Over-36 Rule, but that doesn't need to be a priority.

*Note that maximum salaries are based on a different percentage of BRI than that which is used to determine the salary cap. Which is why in real life, a maximum 25% salary is actually less than 25% of the cap. We'd need to have BRI numbers calculated in 2k to replicate this and this shouldn't be a high priority compared to other issues*

**see questions 13 and 16 in FAQ for setting the salary cap and maximum salaries**

**see question 60 in FAQ for reference on extentions**

Non-Guaranteed Contracts-
2k doesn't have to go crazy with guarantee dates including $100k guaranteed if not waived before this day, then 50% guaranteed if not waived on that day, then fully guaranteed if not waived before this day.

However it is necessary that some form of non-guarantees exist for the sake of waiving players to make room for signings (especially if 2k implents the correct "hard cap" rules that I detailed above). I would suggest offering 100%, 50% and 0% guaranteed when negotiating with a free agent. For multi year deals, you need to be able to assign each year's guarantee level. However, if one season is say, 50% guaranteed, then no subsequent season can be more than 50% guaranteed.

*Note that all contracts become fully guaranteed on January 10. *

**see question 64 in FAQ for more details and reference**

Stretch Provision-
Like non-guaranteed contracts, the Stretch Provision is necessary when waiving players whether to create roster room or team salary relief, in this case with guaranteed contracts.

If the player is waived between the start of free agency and Sep 1, then his contract is divided over twice the remaining years plus 1. So a 3 year deal is evenly divided over 7 years.

If waived during the season (from Sep 1 to June 30), then the current year is paid in full and the remaining years are divided over twice the remaining years plus 1. So that same 3 year contract, if the team waits until the season starts, has the current season paid in full, and the remaining 2 years are diveded over 5 years.

Teams can choose whether or not they want to use this.

**see questions 65 and 66 in the FAQ for more details and reference**

Cap Holds-
This is the one major thing in free agency that people on average probably know the least about. However, they are actually not too complicated, as they have pretty straight forward rules.

The only form of a cap hold that exists in 2k is a restricted free agent's qualifying offer (and it's not completely accurate as a RFA's cap hold is only the qualifying offer if it's greater than his free agent amount. In Drummond's case in real life, his free agent amount is $8.18m). The way I determined that this cap hold exists was the fact that as Detroit, I could use up all their cap space up until I had $4.5m remaining and still exceed the cap to sign Drummond to a max deal. However, if I used up more than that (passed Drummond's qualifying offer amount which was $4.43m) I was not allowed to exceed the cap to sign Drummond.

Having cap holds would prevent players from circumventing the rules by signing all the free agents they want, then signing all their bird free agents. I for one, am all for educating users on intelligently contructing their team, just as their favorite team has to do in real life.

To get under the cap, users must choose who they want to renounce, as well as their cap exceptions (if a team does not renounce their non taxpayer MLE for example then that's $5.63m that's counting against their cap).

If 2k just adds free agent cap holds, without including exception cap holds and draft rights holds, that an exceptable and necessary first step. But I think free agent cap holds are a must.

They are determined as follows:
  • Any free agent who made the minimum has a cap hold for the amount of the minimum that is not reimbursed by the league for that upcoming season. (So for example, a free agent who has 2-10+ years experience who made $947k this season, has a cap hold of $980k).
  • A free agent with full Bird rights who made at least the average salary has a cap hold of 150% of his previous salary. If BELOW the average salary, then it's 190%
  • A free agent coming off the 4th year of his 1st round pick rookie scale contract who made at least the average salary has a cap hold of 200% of his previous salary. If BELOW the average salary, then it's 250% (Drummond).
  • A free agent coming off the 3rd year of his 1st round pick rookie scale contract (a player who's 4th year option wasn't picked up) has a cap hold of the maximum 25% deal.
  • A free agent coming off the 2nd year of his 1st round pick rookie scale contract (a player who's 3rd year option wasn't picked up) has a cap hold of 175% of his previous salary or 104.5% of the average salary, whichever is greater.

*Note that if a team declines a 3rd or 4th year option of a rookie scale deal, they cannot sign the player to a salary greater than the option year that they declined*
  • A free agent with Early Bird rights (not coming off rookie scale) has a cap hold of 130% of his previous salary.
  • A free agent with Non-Bird rights has a cap hold of 120% of his previous salary.
  • A restricted free agent's cap hold is whichever is greater between the amount of his qualifying offer and his free agent amount as detailed above.
  • A first round pick has a cap hold of 100% of their scale slot. If the player plays overseas, the cap hold only counts during the off season. Unsigned 2nd round picks have no cap hold.

*The formula to determine the league's average salary is as follows:
Divide the total salaries paid during the season that just concluded by 13.2 times the number of teams in the league (if expansion is added in 2k, expansion teams are not included in their first 2 years). So in this case 13.2 x 30 is 396, so divide the total salaries by 396.*

**see questions 37-42 in FAQ for reference to cap holds**
**see question 32 in FAQ for reference to average salary**

2nd Round Picks Contracts-
These should be able to be negotiated after the draft. Currently users can only accept or decline these (CPU teams typically decline all 2nd round picks). 2nd round picks are not limited to a scale like 1st rounders are. They are usually given the minimum, a portion of the MLE, or even just cap space. Non-guaranteed contracts are essential here.

Teams commonly use a small portion of their MLE to sign 2nd round picks, even if the salary appears to be the minimum, in order to give the player a 3rd year in order to secure their full Bird rights (minimum contracts are limited to 2 years).

*1st Round picks can be negotiated to receive between 80% and 120% of their scaled amounts. If both 1st and 2nd round pick negotiations are added in 2k, this needs to be accounted for. Teams rarely give their first round pick any lower than 100%-120%*

**see question 50 in FAQ for reference**

Restricted Free Agency-
The only players that qualify for restricted free agency are players coming off the fourth year of their 1st round pick rookie scale deals OR any player with 3 years of experience or less. So in other words, the ONLY players who are entering their 5th year or later as a free agent who qualify for RFA are players coming off the 4th year of their 1st round pick rookie scale deals. In 2k, guys like Steph Curry, Jimmy Butler and Mike Conley are RFA's and guys like Nikola Mirotic are UFA. BUT this is more a roster issue than can hopefully be corrected. The reason I say it's a roster issue is because 2k applies these rules correctly to generated rookie classes and CPU signings.

*Note that 2nd round picks who sign 4 year deals (such as that Philadelphia routinely signs their rookies to) do not qualify for restricted free agency as they will have more than 3 years experience when their contract expires. Also, those players who are waived or have their team options declined become UFA's obviously. *

Qualifying offers for first round picks appear to be correct according to scale (minus the starter criteria rule) but 2nd round picks and undrafted free agents are off. These are the rules for qualifying offers.
  • All first round picks have scaled qualifying offers. The entire scale through the 2020-2021 season is listed here:
    http://www.cbafaq.com/scale2011.htm
    Again, these appear to all be correct.
  • All other players' qualifying offers are 125% of their previous salary.

The only exception to all of these is only if the player meets a "starter criteria." This is met if a player starts 41 games or plays 2,000 minutes in the previous season OR averages those numbers over the previous 2 years. (These stats are kept in 2k, why not use them?)

This is how the starter criteria affects each player:
  • For a player drafted 10-30, he will receive the 9th pick's qualifying offer amount from his draft class. (However the formula is based on 120% of what the 9th pick is scaled to receive in the 3rd year of his deal. The percentage raise in the 4th year and for the qualifying offer is then based on that).
  • For a player who was undrafted or drafted in the 2nd round, he will receive the 21st pick's qualifying offer from his draft class (100% of the 3rd year scale, not 120% like detailed above).
  • On he negative side, for a player drafted 1-14 who DID NOT meet the starter criteria, he will only receive the 15th pick's qualifying offer from his draft class (like the rule for picks 11-30, the formula is based on 120% of the scaled 3rd year for the 15th pick from that draft class).

When it comes to making contract offers to RFA's in 2k, they are missing the Gilbert Arenas Provision. Also, offer sheets must be 4 years in length, but in 2k they can be any amount.

The Gilbert Arenas Provision is for Non-Bird and Early Bird free agents who hit restricted free agency from a team who is over the cap. Since the the team who holds their rights cannot match deals using the full Bird rights exception, the first year of the offer sheet cannot exceed the full non-taxpayer MLE. The offering team offers a contract with a certain average salary that they can fit under their cap that year, but once offered, the contract is structured as the first year being the full MLE amount, the 2nd year a 4.5% raise, and the remaining amount of the contract spread out over years 3 and 4 with year 4 having a 4.1% raise over year 3.

*Note that a team cannot match at all if they have already used their Non-Taxpayer MLE or are over the luxury tax apron, therefore only having the Taxpayer MLE*

Everyone knows about these "poison pill contracts", however what many don't realize is that the offering team does not have to swallow the poison pill if they sign the player and the original team doesn't match. The poison pill structure only applies if the original team matches. The offering team is essentially offering a "flat" contract (no raises) over 4 years. This is because the average salary of the contract is what counts in the offering team's salary.

**see questions 44 and 45 in FAQ for reference**

Roster Size-
While 2k (I'm sure unintentionally) tricked us with the option in the Roster Automation screen labeled "Cut Player New Season" we still cannot have more than 15 players under contract during the offseason. In real life, teams are aloud to have 20. Again this is something that would only work well if we get non-guaranteed contracts.

Another rule that I know the team is aware of due to how often it was complained about last year, is the Hardship exception. During a season, if a team has 4 players miss at least 3 games with an injury and are likely to miss more, the team applies for the hardship exception which allows them to add a 16th player. Once one of the injured players is healthy enough to play, the team must get back down to 15 players, either by releasing the hardship exception or releasing someone else.

**see question 79 in FAQ for reference**

10 Day Contracts-
These have been brought up by essentially everyone, and are self explanatory.

From what I recall, the last 2k game that had these had the rules correct.
They are available after January 5 and a team cannot sign the same player to more than 2. After that the team can only sign the player to at least a rest of the season minimum contract. (Can be more if the teams have the exceptions/cap room and can be a multi year deal).

**see question 80 in FAQ for reference**

Contract Types-
The contract negotiation screen needs to be redone to both account for all these rules, as well as expedite the users' ability to find the contract they want to offer.

First of all to include Sign and Trades, when initially selecting a free agent, the user should not only be prompted with "negotiate offer" and "view offers", but also "negotiate sign and trade". This would only be available to teams not paying the luxury tax. Once selected, you are taken to the default contract negotiation screen. After offering your contract, you are immediately taken to the trade player screen and must orchestrate a trade that meets the salary structure in order to offer your contract.

*Note that trading players should be available at any time during the offseason.*

As far as the negotiation screen itself, selecting contract type should be expanded upon rather than just the raises. This would allow users to quickly cycle through to their desired offer and negotiate from there rather than just increasing or decreasing the year 1 salary number from what the free agent is asking for.
They should include:
  • Offer Sheet-
    This is available only when negotiating with another team's restricted free agent. Must be 4 years in length and raises capped at 4.5%. If negotiating with a player with Non-Bird or Early Bird rights belonging to a team who is over the cap, contract is negotiated as a flat deal (no raises). Once offered though, year 1 salary is structured as no more than the Non-Taxpayer MLE. Year 2 has a 4.5% raise while the rest of the contract is spread out over years 3 and 4 with year 4 having a 4.1% raise over year 3. If the original team does not match, then only the average salary counts in each of the 4 years for the offering team. If the original team matches, they swallow the "poison pill".
  • Maximum Offer-
    This is available when negotiating with another team's free agent. (Same for sign and trades as well). Can be 1-4 years in length with 4.5% raises. Starting salary is 25% of the cap for players with 0-6 years experience, 30% for 7-9 and 35% for 10+. A player is eligible to receive 105% of his previous salary even when changing teams AND even if this number exceeds the maximum salary.

*Note that maximum salaries are based on a different percentage of BRI than that which is used to determine the salary cap. Which is why in real life, a maximum 25% salary is actually less than 25% of the cap. We'd need to have projected BRI numbers calculated in 2k to replicate this and this shouldn't be a high priority compared to other issues*

**see questions 13 and 16 in FAQ for setting the salary cap and maximum salaries**
  • Bird Offer-
    Only available when negotiating with team's own free agent who has 3 years of bird rights (no longer available for sign and trades). Can be 1-5 years in length with up to 7.5% raises from the first year. Starting salary can be up to the maximum based on that player's experience. Team is allowed to exceed the cap to complete the signing.
  • Early Bird Offer-
    Only available when negotiating with team's own free agent who has 2 years of bird rights (no longer available for sign and trades). Can be 2-4 years in length (must be at least 2 but can include options) with up to 7.5% raises from the first year. Starting salary can be up to 175% of previous salary or up to 107.5% of the average salary, whichever is more. Team is allowed to exceed the cap to complete the signing.
  • Non-Bird Offer-
    Only available when negotiating with team's own free agent who has 1 year of bird rights (no longer available for sign and trades). Can be 1-4 years in length with up to 4.5% raises from the first year. Starting salary can be up to 120% of his previous salary, 120% of the minimum salary, or the amount of his qualifying offer if he's a RFA. Team is allowed to exceed the cap to complete the signing.
  • Minimum Exception-
    Available to any free agent. Can be 1-2 years in length. (Rookies who negotiate 3 or 4 year minimum deals are not using the exception, but rather cap space or a portion of the MLE). Raises are not determined by a percentage, the additional year is just the minimum for that year for how many years of experience that player has in that year. Team is allowed to exceed the cap to complete the signing.

**See Veteran's Minimum Exception section at the top of this post for details on salary as well as question 16 in FAQ**
  • Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception-
    Available to any free agent if team is over the cap (or under it by less than the MLE amount) but under the tax apron. Can be split amongst multiple players. Can be 1-4 years in length and raises up to 4.5% from the first year. Scaled salary (correct in 2k, shown in question 25 in FAQ). If used, then that team is hard capped at the luxury tax apron and cannot exceed that number for any reason during the year.
  • Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception-
    Available to any free agent if the team is over the luxury tax apron. Can be split amongst multiple players. Can be 1-3 years in length with 4.5% raises from the first year. Scaled salary (correct in 2k, shown in question 25 of FAQ).
  • Room Mid-Level Exception-
    Available to any free agent if the team is far enough below the cap to lose it's Non-Taxpayer MLE. Can be split amongst multiple players. Can be 1-2 years in length with up to 4.5% raises from the first year. Scaled salary (correct in 2k, shown in question 25 of FAQ). If used, then that team cannot use it's Non-Taxpayer or Taxpayer MLE, nor it's Bi-annual exception that year.
  • Bi-annual Exception-
    Available to any free agent if the team is below the tax apron but cannot be used in back to back years. Can be split amongst multiple players. Can be 1-2 years in length with up to 4.5% raises from the first year. If used, then that team is hard capped at the luxury tax apron.

Additional notes for Contract negotiation screen...
[list][*]Other than the minimum exception, users can of course negotiate downwards from any of these amounts. Again, this is in part to give us the ability to get to the desired amount faster than simply scrolling through numbers.
[*]While each contract has raises restrictions, we should have more freedom than just selecting bird (+7.5%), back(+4.5%), front(-4.5% and flat. While you cannot exceed 4.5% or 7.5% (depending on the contract) whether upwards or downwards, we should be able to create a Derrick Favors-like contract with both raises and decreases (Favors is making $12m this year, then $11.05m next year, and back to $12m in the final year).
[*]We should be able to see the total contract amount. I know we can currently just do the math and add up each of the years we're offering, but it would be a nice cosmetic touch to see that total amount as very commonly, deals less than the max come out to even numbers, $21.00m, $50.00m, $82.00m, etc.

**see questions 16, 25, 26, 27, 28, 45, and 91 in FAQ**

Trades-
As I detailed above, Sign and Trades could be possible by allowing users to select "negotiate sign and trade" rather than just "negotiate contract" and "view offers" when clicking on a free agent. After negotiating a contract, users would be taken to the propose trade screen and could only submit the offer if they construct a valid trade.

While negotiated No Trade Clauses exist in 2k, they are many other trade restrictions that currently don't exist. The main ones are:
  • Trades are allowed anytime from the end of that team's current season through the offseason until the trade deadline of the following season. However, players whose contracts are ending or COULD be ending cannot be traded after the season's over.
  • When a team matches an offer sheet for a RFA, they cannot trade him for a year without his consent.
  • When a team signs a player as a free agent, they cannot trade him for 3 months or until Dec 15, whichever is later.
    (2k currently restricts the user from trading any player they just signed to a contract, but only intil the end of training camp.)
  • When a team re-signs a free agent with Bird or Early Bird Rights, is over the cap, the player's salary is greater than the minimum and he has received a raise of at least 20%, the team cannot trade him for 3 months or until January 15, whichever is later.
  • A team cannot trade a draft pick for 30 days after he signed. Rights can be traded if not signed yet.
    (This exists in 2k, but without the ability to trade draft rights.)
  • When a player is playing on a one year contact (including players who accepted their qualifying offers), and will become a Bird or Early Bird free agent at the end of the year, the team cannot trade him without his consent. If they do consent, they lose their Bird or Early Bird rights and become a Non-Bird FA.

I don't think it should be high priority to add the missing non-simultaneous trade exception. These are ofter talked about but rarely used nowadays. However, if minimum salaries are corrected as detailed earlier, 2k needs to make sure to update the Minimum Salary Trade Exception which allows players on miminum exceptions to not count in salary in trades. If they are playing on a contract longer than 2 years, as I said before this is not a minimum exception, simply a contract paying minimum salaries and therefore is not included in the Minimum Salary Trade Exception.

**see questions 86 and 100 in FAQ for reference**

Draft Pick Protection-
Draft Pick protections are a must. They have been talked about at length and also recognized by 2k. As I said before, it worried me when I heard Leftos in a podcast question how realistic they would get with protections because some of them get too crazy.

We don't want to just have "lottery protected" picks. Decreasing protection is a must (ex: top 15 protected in 2016, top 10 in 2017, top 8 in 2018, etc) with the ability to decide when it becomes unprotected.*

Give us the options of:
  • How many years of protection.
  • Specific protection for each year (doesn't necessarily have to decrease, could be 2 years in a row of Top 5 Protected).This includes to ability to create "guaranteed lotto pick" i.e. Top 3 protected AND 15-30 protected.
    First Round:
    -Choice of Top 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 (lotto), 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, Top 3 and 15-30, and just 15-30 (guaranteed lotto) protected.
    Second Round:
    -Anything up until top 55 protected.
  • What happens at the end of protection (does it become unprotected or become 2 2nd rounders).
  • Is it a swap pick, meaning if it falls out of the protection range, does it go outright to the team or do they have the option to swap picks.*

Also, include the Ted Stepien Rule that prevents teams from trading away 1st round picks in consecutive years. This includes protected picks that may result in the team not having a 1st round pick in consecutive years. This only applies to future picks. If a team trades away their 2016 1st rounder IN 2016, regardless of whether they traded away their 2015 pick this is legal because the 2015 pick is not a future pick.

**see question 87 in FAQ for reference**

Draft Rights/Euroleague/D-League Assignments-
Currently in 2k, the free agent list is filled with guys who are likely to never play in the NBA again (mostly on the older side), the Euroleague teams are simply space eaters existing outside of the franchise experience where no one uses them, and 2nd round picks in MyLeague/GM typically are never heard from again after teams decline to offer them a contract to preserve space on the 15 man roster limitation.

I believe most of us simply want to fill that void!

Euroleague teams being playable is all but useless as clearly very little time or effort is dedicated to creating an accurate roster, and very few users actually want to replace current NBA teams with Euro teams. So they mostly just sit there ignored in Play Now mode. We DON'T want to see the D-League go this route.

Emphasis should be placed on having both the D-League and Euroleague as a place to stash, develop, and discover additional talent. Even if these teams are not playable, they should be accessible within MyLeague/GM and filled with REAL players. Players overseas with their rights held by an NBA team (such as Dario Saric) should be programmed as such. Players who have generic faces should be fully editable as well so we're not stuck with Dario Saric's current face. Even if the teams are just extensive "lists" of sorts, 2k could expand upon their simulated season stats as they introduced with draft prospects in 2k15.

Having these teams would keep more real players involved in the experience beyond just in Summer League, as well as have a place to stash our draft picks that we don't have room for and watch them develop (or not). Discovering new talent would also add a rewarding element to the experience, including seeing one of the has-been free agents make a comeback. Here are the rules as they apply to each of these scenarios:
  • Teams retain the rights to the players they draft as long as the player is playing professional basketball somewhere whether it be overseas or in the D-League (under a D-League contract of course). These draft rights should be allowed to be included in trades.
  • For players drafted in the first round, they are bound to the first round salary scale in the year they sign with the team. This applies for 3 years after being drafted. After 3 years, the player can be signed using cap room or any exception. This contract must be 3 years in length and more than 120% of the rookie scaled amount. (This is why some people feel Dario Saric should wait until 2017 to come to Philadelphia as he will no longer be bound by the rookie scale and can sign as Nikola Mirotic did.)
  • If a first round pick signs overseas or a D-League contract, then his 100% of the rookie scale cap hold only counts during the offseason. Unsigned 2nd round picks have no cap hold.
  • For D-League assignments, players under contract with an NBA team who have 0-2 years of experience can be assigned at any time to the D-League affiliate. Players with 3 years of experience or more can be assigned only if the player (and union) consents. There is no limit on number of assignments. Assigning a player does NOT free up salary or roster space however.
  • Teams can designate up to 4 players that they cut at the end of training camp to be assigned to their D-League affiliate. They sign D-League contracts and can be called up by any NBA team however.

**see questions 51, 52, and 81 in FAQ for reference**

NOW, while all that may seem like a lot to digest, we should not worry about overcomplicating the experience for the user as A) most of these changes are "under the hood", B) 2k could adapt MLB the Show's approach of having an in-game manual explaining each rule. An expansion on what they currently do with "Finance Help" and C) MyLeague/MyGM players want these rules. We yearn for accuracy and an experience that simulates what our favorite teams do each off season!

I hope you guys enjoyed the long read and to 2K I hope that I helped break down and prioritize each missing element of the salary cap and CBA in general!

-Mikelopedia

PSN: MiiikeMarsh
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-30-2015, 01:36 PM   #2
The Real Birdman

Mikelopedia's Arena

Re: Official NBA 2K16 CBA, Salary Cap, and Complete Player Contracts' Corrections

--CONTRACTS--

SIXERS-
Isaiah Canaan-
FA Type: RFA** ($1.22m QO)
Bird Years: 2**

Joel Embiid-
Bird Years: 1**
Original Contract Length: 4 years**
Option: Team** (option picked up for 2016)

Jerami Grant-
FA Type: UFA**

Richaun Holmes-
Option: 2 yr Team (2017 is non-guaranteed and 2018 is a team option)
2015: $1.07m
2016: $1.03m
2017: $1.01m (team)
2018: $1.09m** (team)

Kendall Marshall-

TJ McConnell-
*(for some reason, McConnell does not appear at all in the propose trade screen)*
Option: 2 yr Team** (2016 and 2017 are non-guaranteed and 2018 is a team option)
2015: $525k**
2016: $874k**
2017: $1.01m** (team)
2018: $1.09m** (team)

Nerlens Noel-
Option: None** (option picked up for '16-'17)

Nik Stauskas-

Hollis Thompson-

Sonny Weems-
Option: Team** (2016 is non-guaranteed)
2015: $2.81m**
2016: $2.94m**

BUCKS-
Giannis Antetokounmpo-
Option: None** (option picked up for 2016)

Jerryd Bayless-

Michael Carter-Williams-

Tyler Ennis-

Damien Inglis-

Greg Monroe-
Bird Years: 0**

Steve Novak-

Johnny O'Bryant-

Jabari Parker-

BULLS-
Cameron Bairstow-

Aaron Brooks-

Jimmy Butler-

Pau Gasol-
Bird Years: 2** (see LeBron James notes)

Justin Holiday-

Doug McDermott-

Nikola Mirotic-
FA Type: RFA** ($7.23m QO)

E'Twaun Moore-

Tony Snell-

CAVALIERS-
Matthew Dellavedova-

LeBron James-
Bird Years: 2** (In reality, LeBron only has 1 year of bird rights and therefore qualifies for the Early Bird exception this summer, allowing Cleveland to exceed the cap to sign him for up to 175% of his previous salary with a 7.5% raise each season. However in 2k, while you are aloud to offer Early Bird or Non-Bird structured salaries, you cannot exceed the cap to complete those signings in the pending offers screen. Thus, users cannot re-sign Lebron if he declines his option without making cap space first. This is why he never stays with Cleveland in 2k unless he opts in.)

James Jones-

Sasha Kaun-
FA Type: RFA** ($1.67m QO)

Jordan McRae-
FA Type: RFA** ($1.21m QO)
Option: Team** (2016 is a team option)
2015: $525k**
2016: $875k**

Iman Shumpert-

JR Smith-
2015: $5.00m**
2016: $5.38m** (team option)

Tristan Thompson-
Original Contract Length: 5 years**

CELTICS-
Jae Crowder-
2015: $6.80m
2016: $6.29m
2017: $6.80m
2018: $7.31m
2019: $7.82m**

Amir Johnson-

Jordan Mickey-
Option: 2 yr Team** (2017 is non-guaranteed and 2018 is a team option)
2015: $1.17m
2016: $1.22m
2017: $1.28m (team)
2018: $1.33m** (team)

Kelly Olynyk-

Marcus Smart-

Evan Turner-

James Young-

CLIPPERS-
Cole Aldrich-

Branden Dawson-

Wesley Johnson-

Luc Mbah a Moute-

Pablo Prigioni-

Austin Rivers-

CJ Wilcox-

GRIZZLIES-
Jordan Adams-

Vince Carter-

Mike Conley-

James Ennis-

JaMychal Green-

PJ Hairston-
Option: None** (option declined for 2016)
2015: $1.20m
2016: $0**
2017: $0**

Zach Randolph-

Lance Stephenson-

HAWKS-
Kent Bazemore-

Tim Hardaway Jr-

Kris Humphries-
2015: $1.0m**

Mike Muscala-

Dennis Schroder-

Thabo Sefolosha-

Walter Tavares-
FA Type: RFA** ($1.29m QO)

HEAT-
Luol Deng-

Gerald Green-
Original Contract Length: 1 year**

Joe Johnson-

Tyler Johnson-
FA Type: RFA** ($1.18m QO)

Josh McRoberts-

Josh Richardson-
FA Type: RFA** ($1.29 QO)

Amare Stoudemire-

Hassan Whiteside-

HORNETS-
Troy Daniels-
FA Type: RFA** ($1.22m QO)

Tyler Hansbrough-

Spencer Hawes-

Al Jefferson-

Michael Kidd-Gilchrist-

Jeremy Lamb-
2015: $3.03m
2016: $6.51m**
2017: $7.00m**
2018: $7.49m**

Jeremy Lin-

Marvin Williams-

Cody Zeller-

JAZZ-
Trevor Booker-

Trey Burke-

Dante Exum-

Rudy Gobert-

Rodney Hood-

Joe Ingles-
FA Type: RFA** ($2.69m QO)

Chris Johnson-

Raul Neto-

Tibor Pleiss-
FA Type: RFA** ($3.88m QO)

Jeff Withey-

KINGS-
Quincy Acy-

Omri Casspi-

Darren Collison-

Duje Dukan-

Rudy Gay-

Ben McLemore-

Eric Moreland-

Rajon Rondo-

KNICKS-
Louis Amundson-

Cleanthony Early-

Langston Galloway-

Kyle O'Quinn-

Kevin Seraphin-

Lance Thomas-

Derrick Williams-

Tony Wroten-
2015: $947k
2016: $1.02m**

LAKERS-
Brandon Bass-

Tarik Black-

Anthony Brown-

Jordan Clarkson-

Ryan Kelly-

Julius Randle-

Metta World Peace-
2015: $947k**

MAGIC-
Dewayne Dedmon-

Aaron Gordon-

Devyn Marble-

Shabazz Napier-

Victor Oladipo-

Elfrid Payton-

CJ Watson-

MAVERICKS-
Justin Anderson-
FA Type: RFA** ($3.63m QO)

Jeremy Evans-

David Lee-
2015: $2.1m**

Javale McGee-

Salah Mejri-

Zaza Pachulia-

Chandler Parsons-

Dwight Powell-

Charlie Villanueva-

Deron Williams-
Option: Player**
2015: $5.38m**
2016: $5.62m** (player)

NETS-
Andrea Bargnani-

Bojan Bogdanovic-
FA Type: RFA** ($4.47m QO)

Markel Brown-

Jarrett Jack-

Sergey Karasev-
2015: $1.60m

Shane Larkin-

Willie Reed-
Option: None**
2017: $0**

Thomas Robinson-

Donald Sloan-

NUGGETS-
Will Barton-

Gary Harris-

Joffrey Lauvergne-
FA Type: RFA** ($2.14m QO)

Mike Miller-

Jusuf Nurkic-

Jakarr Sampson-
Option: Team** ('16-'17 is non-guaranteed)
2015: $874k**
2016: $1.01m**

PACERS-
Jordan Hill-

Solomon Hill-
2015: $1.36m

Ty Lawson-

CJ Miles-

Rodney Stuckey-

Shayne Whittington-

PELICANS-
Luke Babbitt-

Norris Cole-

Anthony Davis-
(AD's numbers in game currently are based off a 25% max deal with an estimation that the cap next year will be $89m. In 2k, the cap fluctuates unlike previous years and isn't as 100% predictable but it's typically around $90m. As 2k does not fill in max salary extentions in the first year when the cap is revealed, it's up to users to edit these numbers on their own if they wish. HOWEVER, he is missing his 5th year that he got as a Designated 5th Year Player. Also, he is eligible to recieve the 30% exception if he makes an All-NBA team. So I will list both 25%
numbers and 30% numbers. **Note** that the numbers seem low for a $89m cap because max salaries are not simply 25, 30 or 35% of the cap. They use a different cap calculation of projected BRI when determining max salaries.)
-25%-
2015: $7.07m
2016: $20.95m
2017: $22.52m
2018: $24.09m
2019: $25.66m
2020: $27.23m**
-OR as at a 30% Max based on a $89m salary cap-
2015: $7.07m
2016: $22.00m**
2017: $23.66m**
2018: $25.31m**
2019: $26.96m**
2020: $28.61m**

Bryce Dejean-Jones-
2015: $525k
2016: $874k**
2017: $1.01m**

Toney Douglas-
2015: $1.19m** (full season cap hit. Basketball Insiders has the pro rated amount)
2016: $1.32m** (team)

Kendrick Perkins-

PISTONS-
Aron Baynes-

Steve Blake-

Reggie Bullock-

Kentavious Caldwell-Pope-

Spencer Dinwiddie-

Tobias Harris-

Reggie Jackson-

Jodie Meeks-

Marcus Thornton-

Anthony Tolliver-

RAPTORS-
Anthony Bennett-

Bismack Biyombo-

Bruno Caboclo-

Cory Joseph-

Lucas Nogueira-

Norman Powell-

Terrence Ross-
2015: $3.55m
2016: $10.00m**
2017: $10.50m**
2018: $10.50m**

Luis Scola-

Jason Thompson-

Jonas Valanciunas-

ROCKETS-
Clint Capela-

Sam Dekker-
FA Type: RFA** ($3.97m QO)

Andrew Goudelock-
2015: $947k
2016: $1.02m**

Dwight Howard-

KJ McDaniels-

SPURS-
Kyle Anderson-

Kawhi Leonard-

Boban Marjanovic-
FA Type: RFA** ($1.50m QO)

Andre Miller-

Tony Parker-

Jonathon Simmons-

David West-

SUNS-
Chase Budinger-

Archie Goodwin-

John Jenkins-
Option: 2 yr Team** (2016 and 2017 are non-guaranteed)
2015: $981k**
2016: $1.05m**
2017: $1.18m**

Brandon Knight-

Alex Len-

Mirza Teletovic-

TJ Warren-

THUNDER-
Steven Adams-

DJ Augustin-

Nick Collison-

Josh Huestis-
FA Type: RFA** ($3.36m QO)

Enes Kanter-

Mitch McGary-

Anthony Morrow-

Andre Roberson-

Kyle Singler-

WOLVES-
Nemanja Bjelica-
FA Type: RFA** ($4.94m QO)

Gorgui Dieng-

Zach LaVine-

Shabazz Muhammad-

Adreian Payne-

Tayshaun Prince-

Damjan Rudez-

Andrew Wiggins-

BLAZERS-
Pat Connaughton-
Allen Crabbe-

Chris Kaman-

Damian Lillard-
(See notes for Anthony Davis. Lillard will qualify for 30% if he is selected to an All-NBA 1st, 2nd or 3rd team this year. Regardless, he is currently missing the 5th year of his contract)
-25%-
2015: $4.24m
2016: $20.95m
2017: $22.52m
2018: $24.09m
2019: $25.66m
2020: $27.23m**
-OR as at a 30% Max based on a $89m salary cap-
2015: $4.24m
2016: $22.00m**
2017: $23.66m**
2018: $25.31m**
2019: $26.96m**
2020: $28.61m**

CJ McCollum-

Luis Montero-

Mason Plumlee-

Brian Roberts-

Noah Vonleh-

WARRIORS-
Leandro Barbosa-

Andrew Bogut-

Ian Clark-

Shaun Livingston-

Kevon Looney-
FA Type: RFA** ($3.34m QO)

James Michael McAdoo-

Brandon Rush-

Anderson Varejao-

WIZARDS-
Alan Anderson-

Marcin Gortat-

Gary Neal-

Otto Porter-
2015: $4.66m
2016: $5.89m
2017: $0** (his qualifying offer is $7.73m, currently is structured as the 5th year of his deal)

Ramon Sessions-

Marcus Thornton-

Last edited by Mikelopedia; 03-10-2016 at 01:41 PM.
Old 11-30-2015, 02:57 PM   #3
MVP

pimpinpidgeon8's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Official NBA 2K16 CBA, Salary Cap, and Complete Player Contracts' Corrections

This is excellent, but you think you could add the "force to bench" for those players who are lifelong 6th men?
Old 12-01-2015, 11:24 AM   #4
The Real Birdman

Mikelopedia's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpinpidgeon8
This is excellent, but you think you could add the "force to bench" for those players who are lifelong 6th men?
Thanks man. And this is strictly for contracts. The force 6th man would be part of a positions edit list.

Old 12-01-2015, 12:00 PM   #5
MVP

pimpinpidgeon8's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelopedia
Thanks man. And this is strictly for contracts. The force 6th man would be part of a positions edit list.

Do you happen to have that list anywhere?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-01-2015, 02:01 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 0

Jesus, this guy should be on the 2K payroll.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Old 12-01-2015, 05:37 PM   #7
Rookie

smichaelis9's Arena

OVR: 0

Hey man... This is fantastic! Are you on PS4 or XBOX ONE? Have you fixed all of these players contracts on your roster? If so would you mind uploading them to the "vault" or whatever it is called? That would be great... I would love using these. Let me know!
Old 12-02-2015, 01:52 PM   #8
The Real Birdman

Mikelopedia's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpinpidgeon8
Do you happen to have that list anywhere?
Nah not yet, I just edit them for each team everytime I play a quick game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acles003
Jesus, this guy should be on the 2K payroll.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Thanks bro, seeing the name in purple is the dream ya know

Quote:
Originally Posted by smichaelis9
Hey man... This is fantastic! Are you on PS4 or XBOX ONE? Have you fixed all of these players contracts on your roster? If so would you mind uploading them to the "vault" or whatever it is called? That would be great... I would love using these. Let me know!
I appreciate that man, I'm on PS4 but I havent made my own roster. I go through the current Official Roster every new update in order to help submit feedback for 2k rather than spend my time on my own project.

In regards to contracts, I wouldn't want to start my own roster (or a MyLeague in general) untill these changes are made by 2k. While we can edit Original Contract Length and Options on our own, we can't do anything about Bird Years and Free Agent Type unfortunately.

Even numbers can't be perfect cause we can only increase and decrease by multiples of $250,000 once in the millions.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »