Home

tips for combatting the so called 'comeback code'.

This is a discussion on tips for combatting the so called 'comeback code'. within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-08-2015, 11:36 AM   #49
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38
tips for combatting the so called 'comeback code'.

Last edited by The 24th Letter; 12-08-2015 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Never mind
Old 12-08-2015, 11:37 AM   #50
MVP

UnbelievablyRAW's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: tips for combatting the so called 'comeback code'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox4evur
Nope...because there are momentum shifts in the NBA. Taking it out hinders the whole sim aspect of the game.
They shouldn't try to simulate human mental conditions in a video game.

Imagine if the game made good FT shooters miss Fts down the stretch (if you get anything but a perfect release) because in real life they might be shook and maybe have their nerves get the best of them. That just takes the skill of the user out of the equation, and I can guarantee that losing games because of some bad luck won't be fun for most people
Old 12-08-2015, 11:51 AM   #51
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox4evur
Nope...because there are momentum shifts in the NBA. Taking it out hinders the whole sim aspect of the game.
Just wanted to chime in and say I agree with you. Hitting shots in one half doesn't entitle you to hitting shots in another. Teams\players get hot in the NBA, and they should do so in NBA 2K. This is why I made the thread about SS\Sim variety earlier in the year. Seemed like there was something in the background arbitrarily stopping guys from getting too hot vs. the CPU...Since the patches there has been a lot more variety in games...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-08-2015, 12:10 PM   #52
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnbelievablyRAW
You're giving 2k way to much credit. They still handle difficulty by increasing ratings of the CPU players to make them harder to play against, there isn't some life-like AI we're playing against

The comeback cheese people are referring to are the temporary boosts in ratings your team gets when you are on a run. I believe in 2k14 (the last 2k I bought before this years) you could even pause the game and see green arrows showing the increased stats of players on the team with the momentum when you looked at their ratings. Its an attempt at simulating the mental element of basketball where teams on a ru play harder and the opposing team gets demoralized.

This artificial boost makes it easier for the team to score almost everything they take when on a run. Thats the purpose of calling timeouts (to remove this effect), meanwhile the team on the opposite end will miss easy looks and will all get artificially cold. Thats why you sometimes see the CPU call timeouts after you make 1-2 baskets (even if they are up big) because the game recognizes that the momentum is about to shift in your favour and the timeout neutralizes it.

This shot by Curry I took was during a run by the Bulls user, before it, I had been up by 9 and he had tied the game off a run midway through the quarter. Notice how I can somehow miss a wide open perfect release 3 with the best shooter in NBA history? Why? Because the other guy was on a run and I didn't call timeout.

There is no "comeback code" in the sense that as soon as the game sees someone up 10, the losing team will always comeback. There are however, momentum shifts that cause teams to arbitrarily become hot or cold to force a run. Those are what cause the weird comebacks that people call the comeback code.
First of all, the CPU is suppose to be ramped up on higher difficulties. That's why I never play pass the All-Star level when I play against the CPU. I play on Veteran on COD, but you'll never hear me complain about the difficulty of the CPU. To me, if you play on those higher difficulties, then it should be assumed that you're going to get a challenge.

Second, there are badges that give TEAM boosts when certains conditions are met. Personally, I've never been a fan of badges, because I feel like they cheapen the game; however, I have gotten use to the idea over the years.

Third, you missed the shot, and there was no special code that dedicated the miss. Mike Wang already stated numerous times that perfect releases are not automatic this year. When you missed the shot, it was just bad timing that it happened while the other team was in a middle of run. It is what it is. I'm pretty sure that you had games where you felt like you couldn't miss regardless of the grade given.

Lastly, timeouts do help to "ice or cool off" players, but timeouts shouldn't be thought of as some "solution" to stop swings. It still comes down to the user to make the necessary adjustments to get back or maintain the lead. If you panic, then you deserve to lose the lead. As I stated before, I have played plenty of games where I gotten the lead, because my opponent panicked and started making stupid mistakes due to feeling that fire on their neck. I have kept the lead plenty of times when my opponent went on a run, because I just kept my head in the game and stuck to or changed my gameplan.
Old 12-08-2015, 12:18 PM   #53
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

I want to add one more other thing...

I feel the MOMENT I got you pressing the pause button out of frustration or scrambling to call timeouts on almost every possession, then I know I GOT you mentally. At that point, I just go for the knockout blow and try to demoralize you in the process.

It's on you to have the mental toughness to overcome.
Old 12-08-2015, 12:50 PM   #54
MVP

UnbelievablyRAW's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76
First of all, the CPU is suppose to be ramped up on higher difficulties. That's why I never play pass the All-Star level when I play against the CPU. I play on Veteran on COD, but you'll never hear me complain about the difficulty of the CPU. To me, if you play on those higher difficulties, then it should be assumed that you're going to get a challenge.

Second, there are badges that give TEAM boosts when certains conditions are met. Personally, I've never been a fan of badges, because I feel like they cheapen the game; however, I have gotten use to the idea over the years.

Third, you missed the shot, and there was no special code that dedicated the miss. Mike Wang already stated numerous times that perfect releases are not automatic this year. When you missed the shot, it was just bad timing that it happened while the other team was in a middle of run. It is what it is. I'm pretty sure that you had games where you felt like you couldn't miss regardless of the grade given.

Lastly, timeouts do help to "ice or cool off" players, but timeouts shouldn't be thought of as some "solution" to stop swings. It still comes down to the user to make the necessary adjustments to get back or maintain the lead. If you panic, then you deserve to lose the lead. As I stated before, I have played plenty of games where I gotten the lead, because my opponent panicked and started making stupid mistakes due to feeling that fire on their neck. I have kept the lead plenty of times when my opponent went on a run, because I just kept my head in the game and stuck to or changed my gameplan.
1. I didn't offer my opinion of 2ks strategy on upper difficulty. I refuted the notion that they are using some dynamic AI that reads the player and counters them. When playing on Allstar its very easy to blow out the CPU because they don't have the ratings boosts.

2. Shots misses and makes are based off calculations. It looks at things like player rating, shot fatigue, hotzones, user timing, the type of shot etc. From the video, pretty much everything was in my favour and I still missed. I didn't say there was a dedicated code making me miss (don't know where you read that), I said it was because my team was cold during the run. My entire post was to show that there are mechanisms in the game that influence the momentum outside of just the play of the users. People itt are arguing that leads and runs are entirely in the control of the players, and the game doesn't do anything to affect them.

3. Thanks for the tips? Lol timeouts are used to reset momentum swings and stop runs (just like in real life as y'all like to say). Calling a timeout after your opponent makes back to back 3's with a mediocre shooter after you miss open shots with a good one is probably a good idea. Once the momentum neutralizes following the timeout, the player that was playing better to begin with will pull out ahead again, and that's what usually happens for me.
Old 12-08-2015, 01:34 PM   #55
Pro

As with most things, the truth lies somewhere in the middle. The game definitely needs to reflect the momentum swings we see irl and it does a fairly serviceable job. The implementation can be heavy-handed at times though. I think that may be in part because of some of the underlying issues the game has.

For example, player awareness has been a problem since launch (somewhat better since the patch). Well, if you have that already in play once a momentum swing starts the net effect can be a good deal more damaging than it should be. When it comes to many of these things it's not the "what" it's almost always the "how".
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-08-2015, 03:00 PM   #56
MVP

ViolenceFight's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scofield
As with most things, the truth lies somewhere in the middle. The game definitely needs to reflect the momentum swings we see irl and it does a fairly serviceable job. The implementation can be heavy-handed at times though. I think that may be in part because of some of the underlying issues the game has.

For example, player awareness has been a problem since launch (somewhat better since the patch). Well, if you have that already in play once a momentum swing starts the net effect can be a good deal more damaging than it should be. When it comes to many of these things it's not the "what" it's almost always the "how".
It always comes down to the "how", and how you personally handle it.

The key to all games is mentality. As Ksutton said, if you're frustrated and demoralized, you're already set up for the knockout punch.

Calm and collected will help you come back. The frustration is worse In career, since your team sometimes just does dumb things.

A lot of people try to answer back by trying to do too much. The thought process should be: "Get points on the board". It should never be, "I'm down X, I need threes". It should be "Alright, focus on getting a stop and a quality look at the other end".

The absolute worst thing you can do, and this goes for any game, is get drawn into an opponents pace and rhythm. Don't try to poster Dwight Howard because he got an alley at the other rim. Don't force stuff. Execute your brand/playstyle. Don't change your pace because of the opponent, get them to change their pace to match yours.

For momentum it really just takes 3 solid plays. Less if there's a crazy highlight, but usually just a few possessions of solid offense will swing it the other way or balance it.

PSN: ViolenceFight
Instagram: @ViolenceFight

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »