Home

Dear Sports Media: Real Steph Curry Would Beat Video Game Steph Curry

This is a discussion on Dear Sports Media: Real Steph Curry Would Beat Video Game Steph Curry within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-10-2015, 02:50 AM   #33
Pro

JoFri's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Dear Sports Media: Real Steph Curry Would Beat Video Game Steph Curry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolenceFight
I'll be the first to say most of Kobe's shot selection is bad too.

ah i hope u are saying now.
else, bad shot selection can mean winning 5 championships or scoring 80 pts a game.

he makes the triangle looks easy when attack, to be frank. u look at the knicks. play the triangle like a square.

back to topic, its really hard to defend cpu curry onball ingame bcos he's the only player i played against so far to do a stepback shot. it was beautiful.
Old 12-10-2015, 03:11 AM   #34
Rookie

OVR: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Posse
He's truly on an incredible tear that we haven't seen (for a perimeter scorer) since MJ or LeBron in their physical & mental prime. And neither of those two can touch Steph from the outside.
Not trying to be "that guy" because obviously I'm a fan, but Kobe's made a career off tough shots. He's bigger, and his percentage was never this good, but making unbelievable shots comprised a good portion of his offense. Pretty much everything in that closeout 4th qtr against the Suns in the WCF, that reverse pivot jumper against NY (and others) fading out of bounds left-handed, like 6 or 7 straight games with 40+, 81 pts, 65 in 3 qtrs, that boy's a legend for a reason. But certainly, Chef Curry is doing it more efficiently with a smaller frame, props to him.

I wrote about something like this years ago, and it's difficult to replicate accurately in a game. "Cheese" is an overused term to begin with, if I choose to shoot nothing but 3's with a player that's actually good at that distance in real life, it stands to reason that I should make a good amount of them. It's the decision to play that way that can be cheesy, the game itself has to be true to the mechanics that decide whether it should go in or not.

Speaking of which, I think they need to add a new category, something called tough or bad shot ability. Guys like Curry, Kobe in his prime, Durant at times, Melo...certain guys willingly take and make a good amount of contested shots, and shouldn't be penalized for it if that's how they really play. Trying to manage all that and keep the game true & not over the top, is almost impossible I'm sure. But it needs to happen.

Last edited by jdareal21; 12-10-2015 at 03:30 AM.
Old 12-10-2015, 03:52 AM   #35
MVP

OVR: 1

Steph not being able to fully Steph in 2K isn't because it's "too sim". It's because it's NOT sim enough.

The trick about modelling these transcendent players who can take difficult shots in volume is modelling the context and frequencies when they go off. A Curry that can dibble step-back every contested shot isn't realistic. That just encourages a player to spam hard shots and play completely unlike Curry actually plays. But a Curry that only makes tough shots based on some purely random low percentage isn't realistic either. Somehow 2K needs to capture when these contested/off the dribble shots "make sense" and when they dont, why such a player wouldn't take these shots every time down the court, and even if they did, why they wouldn't be successful when they are successful taking these shots selectively.

2K also needs to model and relay back to the player when these stars are in Uh-Oh mode. The mechanic of "getting hot" sort of works but it feels a bit random. It comes and goes and rarely do you feel the occassional "I'm on" game. When it happens it should "feel" a bit more like it and distinctive from when one's just having an ordinary game. Like Klay Thompson will have that VERY occasional 3-point shooting robot game. It's very clear he's in a different mode when it happens, but it's a very rare thing. Of course this could just be us seeing "streaks" and a player "being on" after the fact to explain for purely random clustering of shots, but I don't think that's the case.

Perhaps 2K should model this mechanic similar to some fighting games where star players build "momentum" like fighters build "fury". Taking a difficult shot when "momentum" is charged or the player is hot reduces the usual penalties of dribble moves and defense, but expends that momentum the harder the shot is. Stars then would have a higher "momentum tank" if you will.

I realize this is already similar to the "Hot" mechanic, but it doesn't seem to distinguish between the "hotness" of stars and doesn't have the mechanic of draining "heat" for difficult shots-- it only drains on misses and builds on makes. While the original "Hot" mechanic encourages good shot taking, perhaps we need a mechanic for stars that allow for selective and judicious, game swinging shots of high difficulty.

This would help allow the highs of star players without encouraging only cheese, unrealistic, high volume isolation play, while also putting the unlikely shotmaking of stars into the players' hands and allow us to get into a stars head.

Last edited by Sundown; 12-10-2015 at 03:55 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-10-2015, 10:37 AM   #36
GSW
Simnation

GSW's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
Steph not being able to fully Steph in 2K isn't because it's "too sim". It's because it's NOT sim enough.

The trick about modelling these transcendent players who can take difficult shots in volume is modelling the context and frequencies when they go off. A Curry that can dibble step-back every contested shot isn't realistic. That just encourages a player to spam hard shots and play completely unlike Curry actually plays. But a Curry that only makes tough shots based on some purely random low percentage isn't realistic either. Somehow 2K needs to capture when these contested/off the dribble shots "make sense" and when they dont, why such a player wouldn't take these shots every time down the court, and even if they did, why they wouldn't be successful when they are successful taking these shots selectively.

2K also needs to model and relay back to the player when these stars are in Uh-Oh mode. The mechanic of "getting hot" sort of works but it feels a bit random. It comes and goes and rarely do you feel the occassional "I'm on" game. When it happens it should "feel" a bit more like it and distinctive from when one's just having an ordinary game. Like Klay Thompson will have that VERY occasional 3-point shooting robot game. It's very clear he's in a different mode when it happens, but it's a very rare thing. Of course this could just be us seeing "streaks" and a player "being on" after the fact to explain for purely random clustering of shots, but I don't think that's the case.

Perhaps 2K should model this mechanic similar to some fighting games where star players build "momentum" like fighters build "fury". Taking a difficult shot when "momentum" is charged or the player is hot reduces the usual penalties of dribble moves and defense, but expends that momentum the harder the shot is. Stars then would have a higher "momentum tank" if you will.

I realize this is already similar to the "Hot" mechanic, but it doesn't seem to distinguish between the "hotness" of stars and doesn't have the mechanic of draining "heat" for difficult shots-- it only drains on misses and builds on makes. While the original "Hot" mechanic encourages good shot taking, perhaps we need a mechanic for stars that allow for selective and judicious, game swinging shots of high difficulty.

This would help allow the highs of star players without encouraging only cheese, unrealistic, high volume isolation play, while also putting the unlikely shotmaking of stars into the players' hands and allow us to get into a stars head.
Yes,

All of this would be so ideal.
Old 12-10-2015, 01:23 PM   #37
Rookie

OVR: 6

I always have trouble shooing with him.
Old 12-12-2015, 03:27 PM   #38
Pro

Because it's about balance 2k designs the game so you have the same chance to beat the Warriors with the lakers as you do the cavs albeit not very realistic on some accounts it's probably what's best as this is like u said a game not real life and in a game especially a competitive one such as this it's important for them to try and have every one on as equal footing as possible

Sent from my iPhone with minimal cares for grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
Old 12-13-2015, 12:43 AM   #39
Pro

JoFri's Arena

i jus ousted gsw in 7 games in round 2 playoffs in offline myleague sim superstar. steph curry, if play him onball d, success rate of winning is close to 0%. i actually lost the first 2 games at home.

i think gsw and steph curry is really, really good in 2k. somehow, i could feel their offense efficiency boost which is so much different when i played them in the regular season. steph curry, if u give him a space, just a split fraction second, he'll drain the shots. his high arching layup, unblockable. and he pump fakes. yeah cpu does that. u clamp him down, he passes to the open man. dray green is beast at the top of the key.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »