Home

Why is this game so scripted?

This is a discussion on Why is this game so scripted? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-09-2015, 05:05 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 19
Re: Why is this game so scripted?

basketball is a game of runs and who controls tempo.
call timeouts and definitely make the defensive adjustments.
In addition, dont let the ai controlled team dictate the tempo.
play within your comfort zone, when you find youself doing things you normally wouldnt just to combat what the ai controlled team is doing, that mean they are now controlling the tempo.
sometimes the ai controlled teams pick up the tempo, sometimes they slow it down and run more sets just to preserve a lead.
Old 12-09-2015, 05:12 PM   #10
Rookie

dmankey1's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by tril
basketball is a game of runs and who controls tempo.
call timeouts and definitely make the defensive adjustments.
In addition, dont let the ai controlled team dictate the tempo.
play within your comfort zone, when you find youself doing things you normally wouldnt just to combat what the ai controlled team is doing, that mean they are now controlling the tempo.
sometimes the ai controlled teams pick up the tempo, sometimes they slow it down and run more sets just to preserve a lead.
Very true here. Change up you strategy slightly at the half. I would win every 1st half but come the 3rd quarter, everything went downhill quick because i was doing the same thing and they adjusted. In response, I started adjusting too (even though what I was doing worked the 1st half) and it made a huge difference. Tinker with your rotation too. If a guy plays poorly for a few games (MyLeague) then knock back his minutes some and see if another guy will shine a little for you. It's all a matter of tinkering and refreshing all the time...makes it fun

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Old 12-09-2015, 05:22 PM   #11
Rookie

Andrews's Arena

OVR: 2

Its is also good to realize that when players get hot, their ratings go up ( I have herd 5 to 10 points depending on how hot). Guys like Crawford can microwave heat up quick and, with the +10 to ratings that I believe HOF adds, their in game shooting and consistently ratings are probably in the upper 90's. The end result is they are not gonna miss until you cool them down.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-10-2015, 10:25 PM   #12
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderBOi
I agree on this one. Especially in hall of fame difficulty, teams are cheating the f out of me. I mean, im a Sim player and play hard on D but suddenly, after the 1st half, almost anyone from the opponent's team shoots in front of your defense's face and goes in almost everytime.

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk
HOF difficulty is meant to be the CPU cheating to win

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Old 12-11-2015, 02:33 PM   #13
Rookie

Cwb917's Arena

OVR: 3

I just feel like they want shot percentages to be so close to the mean that you miss ridiculous shots if you were hot to start the game. Im talking in human vs human games. We play 10 man teamup and nearly every time someone on our team starts out making at least their first 5 shots they are guaranteed to miss their next 5.

I loved the shooting last year, if you were having a good game on HOF SIM you could finish say 14/17. It was rare but it happened. It seems this year if you start 7/7 you are probably missing at least 8 of your next 10 shots.

Last edited by Cwb917; 12-11-2015 at 02:35 PM.
Old 12-11-2015, 02:45 PM   #14
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhawkfootball06
Your English is fine.

I think what you are experiencing are called "runs". It's when players on a specific team go on a scoring run where they appear to make everything. This is usually combated with the opposing team's players missing shots, many that they would usually make.

In 1977, the Milwaukee Bucks overcame a 29-point deficit with 8:43 left in the fourth quarter. The Atlanta Hawks led 111–82. The Bucks then went on a 35–4 run to finish the game and win 117–115.
I don't agree with the premise of this thread and I only play on HoF sim, but picking out crazy exceptions that prove the rule is probably not the best way to go.
Old 12-11-2015, 03:46 PM   #15
MVP

cardinalbird5's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwb917
I just feel like they want shot percentages to be so close to the mean that you miss ridiculous shots if you were hot to start the game. Im talking in human vs human games. We play 10 man teamup and nearly every time someone on our team starts out making at least their first 5 shots they are guaranteed to miss their next 5.

I loved the shooting last year, if you were having a good game on HOF SIM you could finish say 14/17. It was rare but it happened. It seems this year if you start 7/7 you are probably missing at least 8 of your next 10 shots.
I sort of agree with this. I don't think it is scripted, but it feels like you can take 20 quality shots in a row (besides fastbreak dunks/layups) and 11-12 may only go in, yet you can take 20 C- to B- shots (semi contested) and it still feels like 9/20 of go in. You may also start out 3/3 from open shots then you'll miss 3 wide open threes. I don't like the real shot pct thing. If you are open and can hit greens it should go in, because you cannot get greens unless you are wide open. If you could hit them while contested then I'd disagree about the greens.

I do feel like, overall, you will make more shots by taking better looks, but I don't feel like it is high enough to show the difference between good and bad teams (especially online). You can shoot 15% better from 3's and deep 2's, but you still may only win by a few possessions in an online game. IRL if teams are constantly left open then they would shoot nearly 50 pct from three and blow teams out...look at GS now and the 2000 Suns. I feel like they are attempting to shorten the skill gap online every year in every sports game.

Youtube

Last edited by cardinalbird5; 12-11-2015 at 03:49 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »