Home

MyLeague/MyGM Braintrust for Building A Contender

This is a discussion on MyLeague/MyGM Braintrust for Building A Contender within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-20-2015, 10:32 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: MyLeague/MyGM Braintrust for Building A Contender

That's cool that you guys played one file for so long. My goal is to build the Lakers into a conference finals contender over 5 years. The longest time I spent on one team is on 2k13 taking the Seatle Sonics (who replaced the Kings) into a third season. Basically took a bunch of young players and 80's rated role players. The easiest thing in 2k to do is get high draft picks from the CPU. In my sonics association I acquired Jr Smith, Rodney Stuckey, drafted Nerlens Noel, Julius Randle and Wiggins. Then I developed Andrew Goudelocks 3 point rating over 90 haha. Winning a championship was pretty easy. So now I'm interested in a longer process, learn each persons shooting form and running real offensive sets.

For my Lakers association I wish I could hire Luke Walton as a coach in '17 or '18. Imagine, he played for Phil Jackson so he knows the triangle. He coached with Steve Kerr so he knows the swing offense. And as a player he had good court vision. He could end up being the next great coach based on his success and lineage of great coaching influences. Not to mention I'm sure he's a learned a thing or two from his dad about winning

Last edited by Coachjosh21; 12-20-2015 at 10:49 PM.
Old 12-20-2015, 10:38 PM   #18
Rookie

Nice. I did a Suns file for 2 seasons in 2k14. That first season I won 48 or 49 games and needed to win game 82 to make the playoffs. I lost to the Grizzlies, just overpowered by their bigs. Then the same thing happened in real life a few months later to the real Suns team. The Morris twins, Bledsoe, dragic, Gerald green pj tucker. I even found a way to get Tyson chandler in season 2 but gave up too much. Such a fun team but I struggled to even make the playoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman96
In my Suns GM I traded Chandler, PJ Tucker, Len & a 1st Rounder for Dwight Howard and Marcus Thornton.

I'm in the playoffs just knocked off the Rockets in 7, Dwight Howard was an animal this season, averaged 20, 14 and 4 blocks a game. Made the all nba 2nd team and all defense 1st team. Was runner up (I think) for DPOY as well and made the all star team.

My starting 5 are

Blesdoe
Knight
TJ Warren
Markieff Morris
Dwight Howard

I signed Nash from free agents as a "we're going all out for the title, come get your ring" thing and he is playing 10 minutes a game backing up Blesdoe.

Love this team right now, Thorton is instant offense off the bench. Also did there uniforms like the 90's Charles Barkley era but waiting till I finish the season to use them.
BTW something cool that i noticed, since Thornton used to play for the Suns instead of an ingame photo of him in a Suns jersey, they have an actual photo of him from real life, kind of cool, was hoping Nash would have one too lol. Wonder if you move Dwight to LA or Orlando if that happens.
Old 12-25-2015, 02:14 AM   #19
Rookie

Downloaded 2016 draft class and used it as my 2023 draft class.

I traded away my 9th pick, 1st rounders for the Kings, Sixers & future 1st rounders in exchange for the Hawks' first pick.

Drafted Ben Simmons, traded Giannis Antetekounmpo & my future first round picks for Kevin Love (32m per for 2 yrs). A sentimental trade, but it will do.

Alvin Gentry developed a RED FIST ICON which led me to another sentimental hire in Tim Duncan as my head coach, his play style is balanced whereas Alvin was more leaning towards guards which explains why AD's averaging low numbers in 22ppg. but it was not the case at all. I signed key players & traded for Kristaps.

2nd season from the post-Kemba/Love/AD era:

1 - Jeremy Lin (77) | Seth Curry (71)
2 - Nicolas Batum | Jeremy Lamb
3 - Giannis | Rudy Gay
4 - Kristpas | Mirotic
5 - AD | Al Jefferson (He is also back, injured for 35 games midseason) | Marjoanivic (great shot blocker, oh my).

I had to switch it around, my early season starting lineup was:

1 - Lin
2 - Lamb | Gay
3 - Giannis | Batum

But I found a hole since Giannis only averages 10ppg, Jeremy Lamb 8.7ppg in 33 minutes & Batum at age 33 attempted more shots & he was peaking off the bench only averaging 13ppg (His stats plateaued in 11 ppg starting at the 3 position). So I gave him a chance & he instantly became 2nd in scoring.

Batum had his career high in avg.

Lamb had a disappointing season when I gave him the starting spot after 5 years of being with the team. So disappointed

Giannis will thrive off in a system like the Spurs, not fit for mine.

AD did his best but came up short in stats. I did my best to work the system around his game my whole entire run with the Pelicans, but could only average 20ppg until mid-season, went up from 18ppg early season to 22ppg at the end of the season. In 7 years, his career high was 24ppg.

We used to sweep opponents in the finals, but last season, we almost came up short. The only team in the NBA to come back after a 0-3 against the Lakers. Beat them in 7, beat the Cavs (I think) in 7.

Sarunas who was my first pick in the 2019 draft is now averaging 27ppg (from 14ppg/15ppg 2 seasons with the Pelicans) with the Knicks - he is now rated 85 from 83. I made a great choice in picking him & trading him. The kid deserves it. Do I want him back? Absolutely.

My current roster:
1 - Jeremy Lin | Patty Mills (he was also my late sign the previous season, replaced Seth Curry in the lineup)

2 - Giannis | Batum
3 - Ben Simmons | Gay
4 - Love | Kristaps
5 - AD | Mirotic

Kevin Love is back also means the bromance is back. AD & Love front court. LOL

I don't know why I keep switching players around trying to find the right players, it's going to bite me in the ***, but it's what I have to do.

I will continue playing next year. New jerseys. New court. Time to rebrand. New era.

I play when I'm struggling so I'll get a sense of where I'm weak at, I like simulating, I play only 5 times on an average every season.

Last edited by MysticPeak; 12-25-2015 at 02:21 AM.
Old 12-25-2015, 05:20 AM   #20
MVP

DatIsraeliGuy's Arena

Took the Pacers as my main MyGM this year, first year was dedicated to determine which players I like, which players I don't like, and who's trading.
My style in basketball is a pick and roll game, and nothing easy on defense (Bulls of Thibs). CJ Miles slowly became my favorite bench player on the team, and he stayed untill now (3rd season). Got some first round picks, can't remember which one, and got Malik Newman in the draft as my second PG and future 1st. Off season came out nicely, got a couple of nice players like Trevor Booker, Marreese Speights and Festus Ezeli (came out to be a horrible idea) and some more I can't remember. Second year was seeing how far can we go. We traded Ezeli and Speights for Rudy Gobert, George Hill was really angry and was traded for Kemba, and we eventually came out looking like a conference finals team, but unfortunately we were eliminated by the Bulls in the first round
Offseason was good, although we did have a lottery pick, I traded it for Tyrike Evans, and got Greg Monroe in FA. 3rd season and we look like serious contenders with this lineup:
Kemba Walker
Tyreke Evans
Paul George (my favorite player in 2k)
Greg Monroe
Rudy Gobert

Bench:
Jusuf Nurkic (Myles Turner was sadly traded, keeps asking starting spot over Gobert)
CJ Miles (best bench slasher in the league)
Derrick Williams
Malik Newman
Lavoy Allen
Joseph Young (developing into a great player)
Trevor Booker
Old 12-25-2015, 09:33 AM   #21
Pro

No matter what team is use I generally start out using the same strategy in all of them which seems to work well for me. Basically what u do is I try to do is acquire a few young players who have a huge upside like Giannis, KP, and MCW although MCW doesn't appear to have the potential to become as much of a star as the other two he hits his peak around season 4 and maintains a high level in several of the important stats(steals, athleticism, playmaking, and on ball D) until he retires which makes him even if he doesn't meet ur requirements for a starter and very very valuable price of the bench. During the off season I was also able to pull in brook Lopez for relatively cheap which was a great pull for me along with 2 blocks a game and 8 reb his mid range shooting alone had him averaging 18ppg on pick and fade plays with Carter-Williams who also gives you the option of driving as he is able to finish strong a lot of the time. At this point I evaluated all of the teams in the league to determine who would have the lowest picks and then tried to trade them said picks as early as I could giving up most of the nonessential players on my team (I also singed a lot of free agents like Ray Allen and bullahr who made good trade pieces). Using this need method I usually had 3-4 top 20 picks the first 5 years of the game( these also make great trade pieces) at one point due to the strength of the class (7-10 75+ ovr and several 80ish) I was willing to dismantle my team a bit more to maybe get a better option in the future and ended up with 7 of the first 10 picks one year.

I've been to the playoffs every year except my first two and made it the finals 4 times and have one 3 of them.

Sent from my iPhone with minimal cares for grammar, spelling, and punctuation.

Last edited by E The Rhymer; 12-25-2015 at 09:35 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-25-2015, 10:17 AM   #22
Banned

In the past I would try to rebuild through the draft and young players etc.. But I decided for whatever team I use I will switch it up and rebuild through trades and Free Agency for proving players since I really don't pay attention to the draft ... Less cheese as possible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by DSonTL; 12-25-2015 at 10:23 AM.
Old 12-25-2015, 01:08 PM   #23
Pro

Tekkonkinkreet's Arena

I tend to look for a balance within the roster that. On my unrealistic Raptors GM in 2k15 these were my two teams at different stages.

Lillard - Beal - Batum - AD - Cousins

Smart - Ross - Parker - AD - Okafor

The second one won the ring as there wasn't an influx of scorers but a cohesive unit throughout. I had Smart trip doubling with Parker/AD scoring the points. Ross would chip in with the odd big score but provided a solid defensive outlet with Davis and Okafor.

In short, a superstar roster doesn't always mean winning. Some players you need to do the dirty work. If you can find two way players like Leonard/PG13 then happy days but I tend to want two scorers, two stoppers and one all rounder.
Old 12-28-2015, 03:06 AM   #24
Just started!

For me it all really depends on simply that I want in that MyLeague. Fun or a Challenge. I have two basic structures for my Associations.

The "Fun" Way:
I have a draft class which is completely normal aside from the top 2 players.
At the top is one 6'10" 250 lb SF who is basically Antetokoumpo right now, he has decent to average abilities in every category, so he comes out giving maybe 17 5 and 5, however has very high potential which I have seen turn into 34 8 7 with two steals and blocks.
With him is a 6'5" 200 lb SG who is something like a JR Smith as a rookie or a very very young Kobe. Unlike the SF, his game is much more centered around scoring. Comes out a very streaky scorer, getting about 17-19 points a game on 37-42%. He also grows, and soon becomes simple to a prime Kobe or Wade (Had to Nerf him a lot after he did 30 a game on 57%)
I also took one below average player and basically maxxed his perimeter defense ratings. Adds for the bust factor as I've seen him from everywhere from 3-9 and he either becomes a poor mans Tony Allen, or struggles to get PT and never grows and retires early.

The idea of the "fun" way is enjoying a MyLeague with one of those top two guys and surrounding them with talent. I like starting with a bad team so it's kinda like LeBrons early Cavs, and the purpose of the method is basically creating a dynasty. One thing that surprised my was D'Angelo's progression, as I pretty much ended up with the top 2 players in the league by year 6 or 7 doing this with the Lakers.

The Challenge:

In this, I like to have one main theme for a team which can be very hard to create at times. For example, I chose the Detroit Pistons looking to create a stifling defense, the best D in the league. I spent 2-3 years putting together a team of guards or forwards with high perimeter defense ratings, or big men with high inside D ratings. I succeeded, but lost 3 consecutive finals to the Jazz (Led by the 6'10" SF from above). And what I'm doing now is recreating the 05-09 Suns, with the Suns, going for the best offense in the league.

Right now I got:
Knight
Booker
Wiggins
Green
DeAndre Jordan

Even more interesting about this way of doing it is watching what happens to players from my draft class, craziest thing has been the Cavs trading Love away to the Sixer's for the 6'10" SF and pushing LeBron to the PF, creating one of the most stacked CPU teams I've seen get created. (The Sixer's got Wade also and are a top team with Love Okafor and Wade).

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »