Home

MyLeague/MyGM Braintrust for Building A Contender

This is a discussion on MyLeague/MyGM Braintrust for Building A Contender within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-28-2015, 08:19 AM   #25
MVP

grismosw's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: MyLeague/MyGM Braintrust for Building A Contender

How are you guys getting so far into your saves so fast? Just simming a lot??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-29-2015, 01:27 AM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by grismosw
How are you guys getting so far into your saves so fast? Just simming a lot??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Early season:

Set the minutes, make the adjustments, sim for 10-20 games, if 10-10 (.50), make adjustments for 30 minutes, brainstorm, change coach preferences, then sim for 5 games, rinse & repeat.

& if I feel a little itchy to emulate real-life NBA in a sense, I would play 2-3 games during the season.

--

I started my Pelicans on Dec. 3, but it's been 5 days since I've played. When I really like the team I put up, I would take the time & read all the transactions, stats & what not -- it usually hits me on year 3 when I go: "Okay, this save is actually entertaining."

This is by far my deepest & best run all because of the feel of ownership in the addition of the new features. I love it.
Old 12-29-2015, 04:06 PM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 0

A brief and generic overview of NBA trends and past champions:

Ground and pound era
1999 Spurs
2000 Lakers
2001 Lakers
2002 Lakers
2003 Spurs
2004 Pistons
2005 Spurs
2006 Heat
2007 Spurs

The post Jordan era was a lot less about perimeter play and more about grinding out wins. Teams plodded their way to 88-85 victories. Lots of contact and bumping. Many games came down to a defensive battle. This era also lended an edge to big men who could move bodies down low (shaq, Ben Wallace, Robinson) or 4s who could face up for mid range shots (gasol, Duncan, Rasheed).

Zone and finesse
2008 Celtics
2009 Lakers
2010 Lakers
2011 mavs

This era is the transition from ground and pound back to a more perimeter oriented strategy. Teams played zone and sped up the pace of the game to take big man out of their comfort zone. Zone was also utilized to slow the success of stars such as Kobe and lebron. However new hand checking rules still allowed star players to lean calls in their favor. The Celtics had some success because they had players that could "ground and pound" plus others that were superior perimeter players. By 2011 though, ground and pound was pretty much gone and replaced by the athleticism of teams like the heat and finesse of nowitski and the mavs.

Pace and space era
2012 Heat
2013 Heat
2014 Spurs
2015 warriors

Following the Heat's loss to the mavs in the 2011 finals, a several month lockout took place. Coach Erik Spoelstra went to work on a strategy that would best utilize his talented roster. He took a page from the Suns fast paced offense focused on scoring layup so and outside shots when the defense stayed inside. This new pace and space era started with the Miami Heat and lebrons unstoppable penetration. You collapse and he'll kick it out. You go zone and the heat will whip the ball around to the open shooter.

The Spurs displayed their own version of pace and space amplified by equal opportunity ball movement. Every player is a threat from all parts of the court.

And now with the Warriors Stephen curry is a threat 30 feet from the basket causing defenses to come out further leaving openings near the basket. However, small ball isn't just about fast breaks and 3s.The Warriors are also a ground breaking defensive unit that can play lineups of 6-7 or shorter. Draymond green, Iguodala, Livingston and others give the Warriors versatility on defense to switch on any screen without losing much advantage. What's the answer to beating the current wave of small ball? If I knew that for sure I would be a millionaire on an NBA team's payroll!

Other teams such as the Bucks, Wizards, Magic, Hornets, Rockets, Thunder, Pacers Suns are employing or recently attempted small ball rosters. Even my MyLeague team, the lakers, are putting Kobe at small forward with two taller point guards to form a defense that can switch any perimeter spot.

An interesting free agent at the moment is recently waived 76er Tony Wroten. A taller point guard that can defend and shoot a little. He would fit in nicely on a team like the pacers, Celtics or wizards. He would be nice to have on the lakers too. But the lakers, like many teams, need better defenders and elite shooters to support the athletic guards they have.

Anyone have a thought on other players that suit the pace and space strategy?

Or can you think of the next phase of NBA strategy beyond pace and space? What's the roster make up and team strategy to overcome what the Warriors have nearly perfected?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »