Home

Why is running full speed at the ball handler a viable option on defense

This is a discussion on Why is running full speed at the ball handler a viable option on defense within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-29-2015, 11:46 AM   #17
Rookie

Sleepy59's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Why is running full speed at the ball handler a viable option on defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyClaxton
Yup..shading and morphing, things like this ruin my gameplay experience i just wanna throw the game and burn it to ground but on the other hand we had this thing for years, 2k14 old gen had greatest crossover/ankle breakers in 2k history, when dude gets crossed either he stumble or fall
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tljq91SgodM here is the video proof

2k16 crossovers are just shallow and nonexistent, you only get oooh and aaah from crowd and that's all, defender just morphs back to the defensive stance like superman, every damn time.
2k15 wasn't bad either. You were actually able to cross people from driving/changing direction and not spamming sizeups.

Old 12-29-2015, 12:28 PM   #18
MVP

ViolenceFight's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyClaxton
Yup..shading and morphing, things like this ruin my gameplay experience i just wanna throw the game and burn it to ground but on the other hand we had this thing for years, 2k14 old gen had greatest crossover/ankle breakers in 2k history, when dude gets crossed either he stumble or fall
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tljq91SgodM here is the video proof

2k16 crossovers are just shallow and nonexistent, you only get oooh and aaah from crowd and that's all, defender just morphs back to the defensive stance like superman, every damn time.
2k16 crossovers are more subtle yes. The thing is that a lot of guys are looking to get straight blow by moves everytime. You can dribble by a guy, but you have to work for it this year. You need to look for subtleties in the defender. Where are his feet? Where is he positioned? Is he shading a direction? Most guys spam the stick, Miss 3 opportunities to burn the defender, and complain because "I can't beat a guy off the dribble with curry", when they missed their chance because in previous games you could do a ton of commands and get rewarded for not knowing how to read the defender correctly

PSN: ViolenceFight
Instagram: @ViolenceFight
Old 12-29-2015, 12:46 PM   #19
Rookie

Sleepy59's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolenceFight
2k16 crossovers are more subtle yes. The thing is that a lot of guys are looking to get straight blow by moves everytime. You can dribble by a guy, but you have to work for it this year. You need to look for subtleties in the defender. Where are his feet? Where is he positioned? Is he shading a direction? Most guys spam the stick, Miss 3 opportunities to burn the defender, and complain because "I can't beat a guy off the dribble with curry", when they missed their chance because in previous games you could do a ton of commands and get rewarded for not knowing how to read

the defender correctly
No, even if you read their defensive position and cross towards the back of them, they magically do a 360 turn and warp to defend you. it's just sad how the following clip is more effective than crossing people. (This year you're guaranteed to play vs cavs on quick match every single time without having the option to back out, how fun!) https://vine.co/v/iqOj13BJKiD
* That and baseline driving. And sizeup launching and or spamming. On-ball is impossible because you get sucked by the who to guard arrow, making it impossible to rotate effectively. playing off-ball is more powerful than ever with morphing D. Everything sim like that requires skill was patched but cheesyness remains. They fix whats not broken.

Last edited by Sleepy59; 12-29-2015 at 01:04 PM.
Old 12-29-2015, 01:24 PM   #20
Lockdown Defender

Rockie_Fresh88's Arena

OVR: 17

Why is running full speed into the defender pressing square a viable option? Need a lot more charging calls
#1 Laker fan
First Team Defense !!!
Old 12-29-2015, 01:37 PM   #21
Rookie

Sleepy59's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockie_Fresh88
Why is running full speed into the defender pressing square a viable option? Need a lot more charging calls
I agree, I used to be able to read when people were going to attempt to baseline cheese and take a charge. I'd hold charge at the left or right of the court near the 3pt line and they would run straight to me all the way from their side of the court. Now my player just flops. How do I stop this turbo baseline cheese now?.

I managed to catch a dribble / sizeup spamming baseliner the other day without my guy flopping automatically.

It's not charge cheese if it's used to combat cheese.

Last edited by Sleepy59; 12-29-2015 at 01:40 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-29-2015, 01:54 PM   #22
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockie_Fresh88
Part of the problem is that it's impossible to draw a charge in this game without using the B button.

If you just stay in your defensive stance holding the left trigger, it will be called a blocking foul 100% of the time.

The game needs to call charges when the defender is in good position, even if he doesn't have the B button held down.
Old 12-29-2015, 02:04 PM   #23
Pro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYgJ79e1AL0

Take a look at this video, several charging calls were called where user doesn't even hold O button for charge, i think back then charge mechanics were simply much more better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkHI1hGvWRY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v6JUzxWoGw
Old 12-29-2015, 02:14 PM   #24
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
It's a horrible strategy tbh....especially now. It's easily avoidable as well....Either shielding with LT or changing your ball hand. Not only that, but it gives you a wide open lane. They absolutely do not need to nerf the live ball anymore than it has been.

IMO making it a blocking foul or a big collision every time would be a mess. There are subtle moves you make in real life situations that you just can't reflect in a video game....even if you have a physics engine. I at least like they fact you have to respect someone on your airspace.
It depends on the level of ur competition. U play against the very best in the world and they can use this strategy to ur disadvantage. Trust me, I've seen it all. I have won the GOAT trophy and I have seen this tactic actually work. If Curry gets bumped to much in one sequence I won't shoot with him until the next possession.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »