Home

Whose bright idea was it to give fouls for contesting shots with the RS

This is a discussion on Whose bright idea was it to give fouls for contesting shots with the RS within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-04-2016, 12:48 PM   #25
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Whose bright idea was it to give fouls for contesting shots with the RS

Yep i got flagrants on few ocassions while holding hands up, since that happened to me i believe that is completely scripted or at least driven by some attributes not really by collision effect and when i get flagrant for holding hands up i usually turn the game because i was being cheated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkHI1hGvWRY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v6JUzxWoGw
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-04-2016, 04:39 PM   #26
Banned

When I play offline now, I dropped fouls to 25 across the board. Way less fouls called makes defense mean a lot more and when fouls are called, they are only on hard contact...not touch ghost fouls.

Games go quicker, and I like more contact. Little old school feel to it.

Sick of these fouls, had to do something.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
Old 01-04-2016, 05:39 PM   #27
Rookie

Sleepy59's Arena

Yeah, I had the habit of holding L2 while defending in the post. If you don't want to play intense D in the paint, only hold RS up and you'll give up fouls less frequently. Also try not to jump when the player is taking a shot, as they can pump fake and draw the foul. As someone stated earlier, there will be an occasional auto jump.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:12 PM   #28
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

IMO the timing of getting your hands up is the key to avoiding most RS fouls(because yes there will some auto fouls no matter what). When you feel certain that the player is going to shoot if you can get your hands up before they start the shot and while there is still some space between the two of you then you greatly reduce the chances of the foul being called. If they get their body on you, then all bets are off.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 01-05-2016, 06:16 PM   #29
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
IMO the timing of getting your hands up is the key to avoiding most RS fouls(because yes there will some auto fouls no matter what). When you feel certain that the player is going to shoot if you can get your hands up before they start the shot and while there is still some space between the two of you then you greatly reduce the chances of the foul being called. If they get their body on you, then all bets are off.
This, for sure. Getting hands up early is essential to getting them up at all. Haven't noticed, but wouldn't argue that it also helps in a straight vertical hands up, rather than a leaning attempt to get hands in the shooter's face. I see the latter, regularly, when I'm using RS and possibly also still holding down L2, but with Shot Contest set to Manual.

The manual says that Shot Contest is engaged by pressing RS in any direction. I wonder if directionality truly doesn't matter at all. I also wonder if simultaneous pressing of Turbo or L2 matters at all (and, with the latter, if it matters even if Shot Contest is Manual).

Still clearly a better way to defend in the paint, generally, than trying to block everything. I'm also trying to train myself to do more straight vertical block/contest jumping (pressing Y to block, but with LS away from shooter).
Old 01-06-2016, 01:05 PM   #30
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

Are we talking about in the paint or 3 pointer here? Sounds like we are talking to different things from the 2 pages I saw.
Old 01-06-2016, 01:13 PM   #31
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

This morning, I was guarding a guy and held out RS in anticipation of him pulling up and got a blocking foul....he wasn't shooting or anything, just standing there....it was odd!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-06-2016, 01:35 PM   #32
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
This morning, I was guarding a guy and held out RS in anticipation of him pulling up and got a blocking foul....he wasn't shooting or anything, just standing there....it was odd!!
Oh are you talking about the touch foul. I've gone those too. I think 2k finally thought that even contesting a shot with hands up should get a penalty if too close. I think it was was a great addition. Because when I first saw them I thought WTF. But after seeing how they happen. It seem pretty legit to me.

And just to clear up.. We're talking about these right? Not the pump fake draw a foul animation?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »