Home

The strict caps in mycareer with regards to pro am.

This is a discussion on The strict caps in mycareer with regards to pro am. within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-07-2016, 09:35 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
The strict caps in mycareer with regards to pro am.

(This is concerning online play, i realize and understand offline players don't want caps at all etc etc... please don't derail the thread with your complaints. Thanks.)

Short version: The current implementation of the strict caps discriminates against pf (especially) and sf (somewhat), in pro-am anyway. Solution: Give us all 120 upgrades instead of just 100. Question at the bottom if you skip my long-winded explanation.

2k needs to keep the following in mind:

- pg/sg, most will just leave rebounding empty and max out everything else, they don't need that bucket at all. (Not to mention, i'm pretty sure most bigs don't want their teammate pg/sg to come crashing the off boards anyway, their job is transition defense and not hinder their teammate bigs from getting position on the glass.)

- center, let's be honest most in pro am are the 7'3 inside build and camp in (3 sec 2k? not 6 or 7) the paint all game. Most will just max out the main ones (inside scoring, athleticism, rebounding and defense) and then distribute the remaining 20 upgrades between outside (free throws) and playmaking (outlet passes) however they see fit. Point is, like the guards, they don't have to pick and choose as much as a pf or even a sf to a lesser degree.

- sf, technically you can just leave rebounding empty like the guards BUT unlike them it will hurt your performance a little bit at this position. So if you want a little rebounding you'll be in a similar mess as the pf which i describe below.

- pf, you need all off the attributes. Outside (mr 7'3 is camping out in the paint so you need to at least be able to hit mid range), inside (you're still a big so obviously you'll regularly end up in the paint, especially since even if you want to be a stretch 4 it's not like you can be truly dangerous doing that with the 3pt capping at 75), athleticism (you'll rarely go up against a regular 6-9/6-10 pf so you'll need speed/acceleration against sf's and vert/strength against centers), playmaking (least important but still... outlet passes, and if you're undersized ball control as well to take slower defenders of the dribble or run the break), defense (lateral quickness to guard small forwards, steal to guard centers)

Now, how can we even out the playing field to make pf/sf as effective as the rest? Simple, assuming the bucket system stays, just let everyone end up with all 120 attribute upgrades instead of the current 100. Problem solved:

- Pg's and sg's will now max out their rebounding at about 70-80 which won't concern most bigs. The boxing out needs some work though, small players can still box out stronger/bigger players with better rebounding ratings too easily.

- The typical pro am 7'3 inside centers can now max out outside if they want and get a 60 mid which won't concern anyone. The 75 passing might be a concern to some with regard to outlet passing becoming more successful. Personally, i don't consider that a bad thing though. It'll (should, probably won't, they'll just complain) encourage people to pay more attention to transition defense. Obviously, interception/deflection success will need to be upped though. Too many passes going through when you're pressing steal in the passing lane.

- Sf's can still be the all around weapons they're supposed to be AND make their presence felt on the boards.

- Pf no longer has to choose between being handicapped in 1 or 2 vital areas and being mediocre at everything.

I hope that makes sense. Please don't derail the thread with your opinion of how you think the bucket system and/or the strict caps is/are awful and you want to be able to upgrade attributes individually, etc, etc. This is assuming the bucket system and strict caps stay the same. Question: Do you agree that 120 upgrades would even the playing field? Or do you believe that power forwards aren't at a disadvantage in pro am?

Last edited by Lord Bonium; 01-07-2016 at 09:39 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-07-2016, 09:52 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: The strict caps in mycareer with regards to pro am.

"pf, you need all off the attributes. Outside (mr 7'3 is camping out in the paint so you need to at least be able to hit mid range), inside (you're still a big so obviously you'll regularly end up in the paint, especially since even if you want to be a stretch 4 it's not like you can be truly dangerous doing that with the 3pt capping at 75), athleticism (you'll rarely go up against a regular 6-9/6-10 pf so you'll need speed/acceleration against sf's and vert/strength against centers), playmaking (least important but still... outlet passes, and if you're undersized ball control as well to take slower defenders of the dribble or run the break), defense (lateral quickness to guard small forwards, steal to guard centers)"

Sounds like someone is frustrated over their PF....

Um...
A...Inside C's/PF's are overrated...
B...Outside C's/PF's max Inside Layup/Dunk Cap between 80-86 I believe....
C...You really only need around 75 Inside Layup/Dunk to be effective
D...You rarely use Driving Layups or Post Up Moves in Pro Am...No one cares vs. Computer
E...(Most Important) Big Men get Post Lockdown Defender...NOT perimeter Lockdown Defender...
So with that being said...

Step 1-Delete your PF...
Step 2-Make a 7'3 Outside C...(Make sure you max out jump shot)
Step 3-Laugh n Smile

hope this helps....
Old 01-07-2016, 09:57 PM   #3
Pro

BellSKA's Arena

I personally hate this idea. Please understand, I'm not saying this as a statement directed at you or your thought process. I don't care for this from an individualistic gameplay standpoint.

To keep with the theme of your point, we're keeping the current bucket system in this scenario. I don't like it because I already feel we have no division between players as it is. I also feel like we see a lot of clones on the court and not enough individual players. If we have the 100 upgrades that gives us 20 slots to differentiate players. But if we fill all 120 slots then we have the same players across the board. There's no finger print other than badges and our own skill level.

You could challenge the attribute system in the other direction and it might make a bigger impact. Say, only allow a max of 80 attributes instead of 100. Maxed outside shooting for big men (C/ PF, height taken into account) at 10-15. Rebounding maxed at 5-10 for guards. Again, these are ideas based on the current bucket system.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:09 PM   #4
Rookie

I understand your train of thought good sir...understand that...It's wishful thinking however and probably will not be implemented in any future versions of 2k....

Just making suggestions to alleviate your frustration presently...good luck to you
Old 01-07-2016, 10:23 PM   #5
Pro

BellSKA's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.O.P.
I understand your train of thought good sir...understand that...It's wishful thinking however and probably will not be implemented in any future versions of 2k....

Just making suggestions to alleviate your frustration presently...good luck to you
Sorry, I wasn't even talking to you. You posted your response while I was typing.

To be blunt, I thought your post was condescending to the OP and quite dickish. I didn't find anything in your post worthwhile or I would have quoted it directly. I thought I was just going to follow the OPs original point/ post.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-07-2016, 11:06 PM   #6
Rookie

my reply wasn't directed at you homeslice...and my post was actually quite informative...OP is obviously frustrated about the performance of his PF...I suggested a way to alleviate his frustration and backed it up with empirical reasoning....please move along now for assumptions make an ArSS out of U and ME....

Last edited by V.O.P.; 01-07-2016 at 11:15 PM.
Old 01-08-2016, 07:27 AM   #7
MVP

TrustedDegree4's Arena

After playing the game for a few week I can tell SF and PF are at a disadvantage when it comes to Pro Am. With the so call balancing 2k wants done, SF and PF don't really have a place in the online game. Pg, Sg, and Center are the only position you need in Pro am in my opinion.

Last year PF had their spots in the game but Center still dominated. Allowing for every position to get all 120 upgrades is just going to make the center position even better. You would have 2 7'3 centers that can rebound great, outlet pass, and spread the floor. Most team rather have this than having 1 7'3 center and a PF that can do the same.

The only thing 2k can do is give the PF a boost in the attribute caps, and SF a boost somewhat, or come up with a new attribute system(something similar to the original) that more balance than what they have now.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:21 AM   #8
Lockdown Defender

Rockie_Fresh88's Arena

OVR: 17

i have all 5 positions and use most of them at the pro am and it's true. PG,SF, and C's have the biggest advantages in the bucket system . 2k flopped with the SFs and PFs IMO. Both these positions need attributes in all categories . I'm not complaining since I'm a triple double machine but why not make the PF have higher outside shooting and a little more athleticism to offset? Why not let the SF have higher dunking ability and maybe driving layups to help? No wonder the CPU is always at these positions . These are the most versatile positions in the NBA but that doesn't matter in 2k. I get triple doubles at these positions but it's 10x harder to score as many points as a Guard or center .

But I don't agree with your fix. I think that would make things worse .also the game should discourage 7'3 centers. I think their stat caps should take a bigger hit just like 2k treated the SFs this year . Also SFs should've had the best defensive lateral quickness . Gives us a reason to make them. Kawhi and Pippen has 99 defensive lateral quickness
#1 Laker fan
First Team Defense !!!

Last edited by Rockie_Fresh88; 01-08-2016 at 09:39 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »