Home

This Game ALWAYS Feels Different

This is a discussion on This Game ALWAYS Feels Different within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-13-2016, 02:05 PM   #33
MVP

HowDareI's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: This Game ALWAYS Feels Different

Lol well at least I'm not the only one seeing or dealing with these kinds of things.

I like validation sometimes so when I'm on complaining with my friends it's not just cuz we're mad over the game for no reason.

-Allen Iverson
Old 01-13-2016, 02:51 PM   #34
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus1959
It's the NBA on ice today.

Can't stay in front of anyone on a spin now unless I back waaaay up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-13-2016, 05:29 PM   #35
Just started!

KingLouie's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowDareI
Lol well at least I'm not the only one seeing or dealing with these kinds of things.

I like validation sometimes so when I'm on complaining with my friends it's not just cuz we're mad over the game for no reason.
Yea I definitely understand what you're saying. Especially when I'm complaining and only 1 or 2 people I play with agree with me and everyone else is saying their game is fine maybe even better.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-13-2016, 08:43 PM   #36
Pro

OVR: 4

Some changes behind the scenes are good ones. Dudes I play against bump me when im bringing the ball up to cause the ball to come lose. Last game we played they actually called fouls twice in one game, when they never seemed to call those.

I def feel a difference in the game from time to time too.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:53 AM   #37
MVP

ViolenceFight's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckles2k2
This is spot on.

I keep saying that it seems like some of this comes from 2K making changes in areas that are unrelated to gameplay.

Why?

I used to see some of these same things back on the 360 when I used to hex edit my files.

The unedited file would play one way, and the edited file would have everyone moving a touch faster, a little more "herky jerky" to their movements, distances closed for a block increased, AI teammates wouldn't guard people...and the changes I made were to my player in MyCareer.

Only code adjusted where my athletic attributes, and occasionally an accessory or two. The more changes I made, the worse the gameplay got. Now, this was MyCareer, so I had no access to sliders to counter some of the stuff, and I would just go back to my original un-edited file.

I don't think it's "behind the scene" changes from a standpoint that 2K are tweaking things. It seems that the source code is so fragile, a change here --->

can unintentionally throw off something over

---->here.

That's simply the nature of code depending on the architecture of it. If they're using the same codebase(and it looks like they are), it's a legacy issue. Something that's deeply rooted in the code that went unchecked way back when the codebase was first written. Some things are anchored so deep, it's not cost effective to step through the issue and try to find a resolution. Especially if it's not an impediment.

But if these unexplained changes that people are noticing were present in the last gen of consoles, and they're still present in this gen of consoles, the only common denominator is the code that makes up the game. And it doesn't look like 2K has overhauled their codebase.

It's not a question of "can you do what you want to do?" I wouldn't think that's the issue. You can always adjust. It's just a matter of "why don't my players move the same way they did on Sept 29th?" It's the same game, no?

It just seems so accepted that "welp, you're gonna have to just adjust to 2K..." but I don't know why, when we don't have this issue with other games.

Game speed turning up is not a purposeful tweak by the devs. I can say that with almost 100% certainty. Because it wouldn't make any sense, and it serves no purpose. That's the last thing a programmer does. Programmers follow YAGNI (you aren't gonna need it) and KISS (keep it simple, stupid), religiously.

We don't just implement stuff for the hell of it. Faster game speeds, out of nowhere, serves no purpose. It wasn't intentional.

But if those faster speeds appeared after a "Update Required: Return to Main menu", therein lies the theory that their changes to other portions of the game, is adversely affecting other areas (namely gameplay).

It's not a conspiracy theory, I'm not talking about nonsense like "comeback code"; I'm simply talking about how the delicate balances of any codebase can be thrown off. 2K devs are the only ones who can unit test it, which would probably be outside of their workflow...so basically, it is what it is.

Probably the wrong place to have this discussion tho.
This post deserves a hundred gold stars.

A lot of people think that coding is akin to telling a game "Allen Iverson can dribble past 90% of the people", and when you get in game it says "Iverson blows by defender".

It's a lot more complicated than that, more akin to a huge flow chart of "If->Then", Random Number Generators checking against attributes, badges, defender positioning generate thousands of things. It's why sometimes one prayer of a shot falls for no reason, or why some games you seem like you can't hit shots.

Now all these delicate systems in place and you change one variable and get completely different results.

PSN: ViolenceFight
Instagram: @ViolenceFight
Old 01-14-2016, 05:26 PM   #38
MVP

OVR: 3

Didn't want to start a new thread, but has anyone recently played the original, pre-patched 2k16? And if so, what are your thoughts on it vs post patch 4?
Old 01-14-2016, 07:09 PM   #39
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_headedmonster
Didn't want to start a new thread, but has anyone recently played the original, pre-patched 2k16? And if so, what are your thoughts on it vs post patch 4?

We had another thread about this....I have when setting up my cousins PS4 for XMas

Honestly, if anything, it helped me appreciate a lot of the little touch ups that were made..even though I was big on not wanting much change when the game first came out....
Old 01-14-2016, 08:03 PM   #40
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Everyone knows I've been firmly against the conspiracy theories...but as someone who took the time to lab like crazy and master all the moves this year, I would bet my paycheck that the on ball defense has changed at least 3-4 times, lol

When I see that update screen......that can only mean one thing.
Hmmm those update screens are usually for updating shoes or jersey and courts right. You think 2k is secretly patching gameplay. If that the incase they need to patch this asap. AI on you team still have no awareness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_headedmonster
To be honest with you just experience with MyCareer and the video I just post. Nothing really change in the pick n roll defense, transition defense. They all are still horrible. I think it actually have gotten worst patch4 4. I honestly believe 2k cant fix it.

Last edited by MeloJello; 01-14-2016 at 08:14 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »