Home

Why does it feel like magnets are pulling me everywhere online?

This is a discussion on Why does it feel like magnets are pulling me everywhere online? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-21-2016, 08:19 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Why does it feel like magnets are pulling me everywhere online?

Happens offline as well. This has been one of 2K's many legacy issues for years. Things like sucking you into animations, being stuck in mud when you have a clear step on the defender, input lag, dragging/sliding your player into position, magnetic force fields, defenders recovering too quickly when beat off the dribble, warping, player clipping, ball morphing, etc... are all major problems that continue to hinder this game.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:27 PM   #10
Banned

SirGaryColeman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKSportsGamer1984
Happens offline as well. This has been one of 2K's many legacy issues for years. Things like sucking you into animations, being stuck in mud when you have a clear step on the defender, input lag, dragging/sliding your player into position, magnetic force fields, defenders recovering too quickly when beat off the dribble, warping, player clipping, ball morphing, etc... are all major problems that continue to hinder this game.
The one thing I liked about that free NBA Live 16 Proam was that it didn't have these magnets. I felt like I could move where I wanted to move.

I feel like I'd be so much better online if they'd get rid of this and my dude would go where I wanted.

I actually do well as it is online, but I have forced myself to learn how to play with magnets and I shouldn't have to do that
Old 01-21-2016, 08:44 PM   #11
Pro

IUxHOOSIERS's Arena

OVR: 2

Yes the magnets you are talking about are very annoying this year.

I didn't feel it last year, because when my Jordan Rec team of 5 would play zone defense, I didn't feel any magnets forcing me to guard a certain guy. This year, we can't play zone so we just obviously play man to man.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-21-2016, 08:51 PM   #12
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGaryColeman
It's not L2, it's the computer trying to "help" me by moving me closer to who they think I should be defending.

Maybe they think it's like shooting games where the game helps you aim your gun, but it's really not helpful at all.
Actually, it is the defensive assistance programming of the LT. People keep forgetting that the defensive assistance is pressure sensitive on LT this year. It's NOT a defensive stance trigger. The way that I understood is that defensive assistance will still "take over" the harder you pull the LT.

Now, how that correlates to the defensive assistance slider is kinda confusing to me. I can definitely see and feel the difference when I have the slider set to zero and not using the LT; however, that's when I get those instances where it's hard to stay in front of the ballhandler or I "overshoot" him. What I would like to know is does fully pressing LT completely "ignores" the slider change? I keep my slider adjustment at 25 or 30 (games feels different at times), because it does help in keeping me near the ballhandler. On the flip side, I hate how hard it is to control the player when I fully press LT.

Personally, I think LT should be for "defensive stance" ONLY, and the defensive assistance should be based on the slider adjustment. It was like that before in past NBA 2K games.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:24 PM   #13
Pro

ForeverVersatile's Arena

OVR: 6
Why does it feel like magnets are pulling me everywhere online?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76
Actually, it is the defensive assistance programming of the LT. People keep forgetting that the defensive assistance is pressure sensitive on LT this year. It's NOT a defensive stance trigger. The way that I understood is that defensive assistance will still "take over" the harder you pull the LT.

Now, how that correlates to the defensive assistance slider is kinda confusing to me. I can definitely see and feel the difference when I have the slider set to zero and not using the LT; however, that's when I get those instances where it's hard to stay in front of the ballhandler or I "overshoot" him. What I would like to know is does fully pressing LT completely "ignores" the slider change? I keep my slider adjustment at 25 or 30 (games feels different at times), because it does help in keeping me near the ballhandler. On the flip side, I hate how hard it is to control the player when I fully press LT.

Personally, I think LT should be for "defensive stance" ONLY, and the defensive assistance should be based on the slider adjustment. It was like that before in past NBA 2K games.

You got that a little backwards. LT has always been the aggressive defense/ defensive stance modifier. The defensive assist will help you try to stay in front as LT is being held. The lower the strength the less help and the higher obviously means more assistance

You will still get some unwanted assistance with defensive assistant off as well as who to guard. That was supposed to have been addressed in patch 3 or 4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by ForeverVersatile; 01-21-2016 at 10:28 PM.
Old 01-22-2016, 02:14 AM   #14
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverVersatile
You got that a little backwards. LT has always been the aggressive defense/ defensive stance modifier. The defensive assist will help you try to stay in front as LT is being held. The lower the strength the less help and the higher obviously means more assistance

You will still get some unwanted assistance with defensive assistant off as well as who to guard. That was supposed to have been addressed in patch 3 or 4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll search for it later, but I'm pretty sure that Mike Wang stated that LT was pressure sensitive this year. You're right that LT was always the defensive stance modifier in past games; However, the "strength" of the defensive assistance was based on the slider adjustment and not on how far you pulled on the trigger.
Old 01-22-2016, 04:04 AM   #15
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
It doesn't just happen on defense, as the "magnets" will kick in offense too whenever you're spotting up in the corner for a three. The game likes to pull your player's feet inside the three point line for some reason, even if your joystick is neutral and you aren't pressing any buttons.

I always thought that this was because the passer was throwing a lead pass. (as idiotic as this sounds)

Running with the ball and then passing it to the corner would lead to the guy in the corner ... being lead to the pass.

Whereas if the passer is standing perfectly still and icon passes, this doesn't occur.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-24-2016, 02:41 PM   #16
Rookie

Sleepy59's Arena

It's not only with LT. Why would I be holding LT when rotating on defense? Why would I be holding LT when guarding a 2 on 1 break? I only use LT when I believe they're going to shoot the jumper, or if I Want to body up. Yet I still get pulled all over the place while playing on-ball. Last year players with skill who took the time to learn and play on-ball had the advantage. This year off-ballers are the better ones, and all they really need to do is control the center and watch the op cpu do all the work.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »