Home

NBA 2K16 Road to the Finals Qualification System Rewards Best Cheesers, Not Best Team

This is a discussion on NBA 2K16 Road to the Finals Qualification System Rewards Best Cheesers, Not Best Team within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-02-2016, 05:00 AM   #17
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: NBA 2K16 Road to the Finals Qualification System Rewards Best Cheesers, Not Best

I picked up on the collusion bit as soon as I read the rules. Who thought that would be a good idea, knowing the type of community that we have?
Old 02-02-2016, 05:06 AM   #18
MVP

Black Bruce Wayne's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
I'm starting to think that 2K facilitates cheesing to keep the casual consumer happy. There's just too many coincidences of them allowing garbage to take place.
THIS will always be the case. Usually cheesers are teens or younger, and I dont think any gaming company wants to lose that demographic. As older sports gamers , we will always be faced with this
Old 02-02-2016, 05:41 AM   #19
MVP

Jrocc23's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: NBA 2K16 Road to the Finals Qualification System Rewards Best Cheesers, Not Best

You'd be surprised at how many of these "cheesers" are adults.

NBA 2K11
XtremeXplicit Crew
Ranked

Check us out: http://www.youtube.com/jroccdagameboy
Old 02-02-2016, 06:58 AM   #20
Banned

This decision choice shows where 2k is at with making a game that we all want.

Laughably far off.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

Last edited by iam31yearsold; 02-02-2016 at 07:03 AM.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:56 AM   #21
MVP

nuckles2k2's Arena

OVR: 13

I'll just drop this quote in here instead of re-typing it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckles2k2
I think Pro-Am is exactly what 2K wants it to be.

The problem is that it's packaged in NBA 2K16. The game that they champion as a "basketball sim". They hire one of the best basketball minds in the gaming community to oversee the different strategies, sets, & plays used by all of the teams in the association in most, if not all, of the given basketball situations & portray that in the digital arena (don't play video games, play basketball), then they drop Pro-Am into the same package.

This is just the digital version of "can streetballers hack it in the league?" except 2K isn't concerned if the ppl who want it a little more "NBA reality" are satisfied or not. (I won't use the word "sim" since it's completely subjective).

Pro-Am is exactly what it's meant to be. "Cheesers" would only be "cheesing" if they were doing something untoward, but it looks like 2K is giving "them" everything they need to do what it is they're doing. That's not cheese.

Now if the question is, "are 2K being negligent and allowing this by not paying close enough attention?" my guess would be "nah", but I dunno that for sure.
The reason why I answered "nah" to my question is essentially right here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by A6_Foul_Out
IF we are doing that that i'm not paying an extra 50$ for VC at the start of 2k17 to make my player 99

... Never going to happen.
Understand, Take Two/2K Sports sell the physical copies, of NBA 2K, wholesale to the retailers we purchase it from. Once the wholesale is final, that's 2K's money right there (and it's tremendously marked down from $60).

VC is a way for them to double dip almost. If they wholesaled 500k copies of 2K at $35 a piece, that's $17.5M.. (keep in mind they actually shipped over 4 million copies of 2K16 in week 1, but I'm keeping the numbers easy)

So...if 250K of those copies had $50 worth of VC purchased, that's $12.5M. On top of the $17.5M they already made at wholesale prices.

There is absolutely no incentive to change anything about the way the game plays online. They're piggybacking on the name recognizability of NBA 2K#, and giving an online environment that fosters micro transactions, that give them a ridiculous revenue stream.

I said it before, and I'll assert it again, this is what they want.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-02-2016, 08:02 AM   #22
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

OVR: 26

For the guys saying this is how they want pro am, and this e sports thing, you're absolutely right.

You don't think 2K knows people are playing the game using these cheese tactics and exploits? They're fully well aware of this and they don't care.

Just a heads up, pro am and park will probably be the same way next year, and the year after that, and the year after that. If you were one of those people who complained all year about online play, get ready to "waste" your 60 bucks on 2K17 and start the complain train all over again.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 02-02-2016, 08:09 AM   #23
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckles2k2
I'll just drop this quote in here instead of re-typing it:

The reason why I answered "nah" to my question is essentially right here:

Understand, Take Two/2K Sports sell the physical copies, of NBA 2K, wholesale to the retailers we purchase it from. Once the wholesale is final, that's 2K's money right there (and it's tremendously marked down from $60).

VC is a way for them to double dip almost. If they wholesaled 500k copies of 2K at $35 a piece, that's $17.5M.. (keep in mind they actually shipped over 4 million copies of 2K16 in week 1, but I'm keeping the numbers easy)

So...if 250K of those copies had $50 worth of VC purchased, that's $12.5M. On top of the $17.5M they already made at wholesale prices.

There is absolutely no incentive to change anything about the way the game plays online. They're piggybacking on the name recognizability of NBA 2K#, and giving an online environment that fosters micro transactions, that give them a ridiculous revenue stream.

I said it before, and I'll assert it again, this is what they want.
True. But I don't think that that's a bad thing necessarily. Business is business. If people are buying and enjoying the "arcade" experience then let them. I guess the way I see it is that it would be cool of they had like a "sim" lobby or game mode where the gameplay was tailored (as much as possible) to real NBA hoops. Play calling, matchups, etc. That MyPark stuff we see wouldn't fly there. I played a game online and it was unbearable. I would play more in a "sim" lobby or game mode where it played to the real strengths and weaknesses of the NBA. I can control that experience offline
Old 02-02-2016, 08:20 AM   #24
MVP

nuckles2k2's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Moe
True. But I don't think that that's a bad thing necessarily. Business is business. If people are buying and enjoying the "arcade" experience then let them. I guess the way I see it is that it would be cool of they had like a "sim" lobby or game mode where the gameplay was tailored (as much as possible) to real NBA hoops. Play calling, matchups, etc. That MyPark stuff we see wouldn't fly there. I played a game online and it was unbearable. I would play more in a "sim" lobby or game mode where it played to the real strengths and weaknesses of the NBA. I can control that experience offline
Never said it was a bad thing. I'm not anti-business, I just want ppl to understand what's going into these decisions. Sometimes those decision makers balk at ideas that they think would hurt the revenue stream. (even if it wouldn't)

I love the idea of a lobby or portion of the game tailored to NBA-styled hoops, but that's probably never going to happen. The game's core would need to be overhauled for something like that. The problems that plague the game online are not exclusive to online. They're just exploited more there.

But why do that when end-users are willing to give you more revenue than you made from selling to retailers & distributors, with those same exploitable aspects already in the game?

I would love to hear Beluba's take on the way the game plays online. I would hazard a guess he doesn't like it, but also that he's not really allowed (time & resources) to make the necessary changes needed (no real way to know this tho).

Why would Take Two/2K give the breadth of both time & resources to Visual Concepts to make the game play any other way than how it does? If half of the first 4 million copies of 2K16 purchased $50 worth of VC, that's 100 million dollars from VC purchases.

They ain't too concerned.

Last edited by nuckles2k2; 02-02-2016 at 08:23 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »