Home

Why 2k16 is still far away from being a sim

This is a discussion on Why 2k16 is still far away from being a sim within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 04:34 PM   #17
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Why 2k16 is still far away from being a sim

Replace "a sim" with "perfect" in the title and I totally agree. This game has flaws and is far from being a perfect replication of the game of basketball. It's still, in my opinion, one of the best sports sims currently on the market.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:38 PM   #18
MVP

BBallcoach's Arena

OVR: 7

OS where by far the closest representation of a sport in video game form and people still complain and think it's "arcadey" go play any of the NBA Live series then get back to me. I'm saying there aren't issues, but it's a sim.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:53 PM   #19
Pro

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBallcoach
OS where by far the closest representation of a sport in video game form and people still complain and think it's "arcadey" go play any of the NBA Live series then get back to me. I'm saying there aren't issues, but it's a sim.
Live went from average to super-poor in 7-8 years so mentioning Live as some alternative is very bad choice even though they are 2K only 'competition' but Live doesn't even deserve 'arcade' next to it's name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkHI1hGvWRY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v6JUzxWoGw
Old 02-08-2016, 04:59 PM   #20
MVP

OVR: 10

looool, I think it's funny. Sure, there are definitely steals you should get as well as the fact it seems like they made steal animations less 'powerful' this year.

I think because 2k looks realistic it makes it more hilarious when bogus stuff happens. Like diving for the ball. Dudes are hilarious when diving for the ball. They end up head butting it out of bounds, or they dive like they are sliding into home plate and 3 feet short.

I was playing park and I watched an inbound (I think?) go all the way inside of the other 3 point line and hit a guy (who just stood there like he had no idea it was happening) in the head and then bounce like 3x slowly out of bounds while nobody was able to reclaim it. Things like that are what makes the game 'break immersion.'

But in terms of sim I'd prefer if the button presses always worked. Or if the computer would stop deciding to do the wrong thing so many times. All of the time I'm in the post and I call for it and the cpu does a bounce pass (when a lob would have worked) right into their defender's leg. And all of the times you press pass and it doesn't pass then you press it again but TOO LATE. Those are the only real things that bother me about 2k... there are always gonna be mesh issues. Understand animations and that each animation has a sweet spot (for stealing/blocking) and keep that in mind when a steal doesn't register. Just like you can jump to block a shot and someone can throw a pass right through your body because the collision part of the animation is in your hands.

-Smak
Old 02-08-2016, 05:10 PM   #21
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA2929
If it's that big of an issue to you, I suggest you go find another NBA game that is more sim than 2k. If it's that easy to make a 100% sim NBA game, it shouldn't be too hard to find another one.
awesome!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-08-2016, 05:31 PM   #22
MVP

Hustle Westbrook's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernte

I'm more concerned with the ****ty transition defense by the CPU in this video.

Seriously, what the hell is Durant doing? Why is he ignoring OJ Mayo to go and pick up Giannis when Westbrook has him covered?
Old 02-08-2016, 05:33 PM   #23
MVP

OVR: 8

2k does try to be sim, while balancing the arcadish aspects for the casual fan. I don't worry about things like the ball going through someone or the like. That's a graphics issues and I figure the graphics simply didn't represent what was supposed to happen. Doesn't bother me.

On the other hand the inability of guys to run back to basic defensive positions IS a problem. I can't tell you how many times the other team's big got an easy layup due to my big being out of bounds under the basket for some reason or deciding to pick up the ballhandler at halfcourt for ZERO reason. That is a flaw in the gameplay mechanics and needs to be addressed big time in 2016.

No game will ever be perfect but for me I have to say the challenges with transition D and with what I mentioned above have left me less in to the game than I have been in years. Add in a distinct lack of quality rosters for PS4 (and the flaws for passing ratings that create horrible sim stats in franchise mode with the 2k rosters) and I've gone from living for this game to not touching it for days at a time.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:08 PM   #24
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comduklakis
2k does try to be sim, while balancing the arcadish aspects for the casual fan. I don't worry about things like the ball going through someone or the like. That's a graphics issues and I figure the graphics simply didn't represent what was supposed to happen. Doesn't bother me.

On the other hand the inability of guys to run back to basic defensive positions IS a problem. I can't tell you how many times the other team's big got an easy layup due to my big being out of bounds under the basket for some reason or deciding to pick up the ballhandler at halfcourt for ZERO reason. That is a flaw in the gameplay mechanics and needs to be addressed big time in 2016.

No game will ever be perfect but for me I have to say the challenges with transition D and with what I mentioned above have left me less in to the game than I have been in years. Add in a distinct lack of quality rosters for PS4 (and the flaws for passing ratings that create horrible sim stats in franchise mode with the 2k rosters) and I've gone from living for this game to not touching it for days at a time.
Concur with this 100%

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »