Home

Fixing Defense and Maybe More:

This is a discussion on Fixing Defense and Maybe More: within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-08-2016, 06:16 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 10
Fixing Defense and Maybe More:

I've been watching real basketball again...

It occurred to me one of the fundamental flaws in 2k basketball is the idea that you need to get a wide open shot to be successful. They have gone as far as to create momentum (which makes things unfair for the defense on the perimeter and too easy for the defense inside, because you can't create the necessary space as often) to allow a well timed back-cut or cross over to be able to get a wide open shot or lane.

While these things do happen in real basketball, I believe the part 2k is missing is that most interactions in basketball take place in a much smaller space. I watched many times as people drove to the rim and were able to finish or get a shot off instead of getting blocked or stripped by people.

I believe (and this might be a bit complex, but I don't think it is *that* complex, if you try to follow) that all of the animations in 2k are too guided. That is, you are under the hoop and someone shoots, and you press jump to block them, and usually do. At least, they miss the shot. Since 2k is such an animation based game, why can't there be more complex animations that are based off of the shot the player creates, their choice of contact (fade, go up, go into and left/right), the choice of the defender to try to strip, take charge, put arms up, jump and their choice of contact (jump back to contest, go up to try verticality, or go into them to foul or body check them, again taking into account angle left or right so that the offensive player can still get a shot off even if they pick everything right except the direction.)

This would also work with jump shots because, let's be honest, standing there and putting your hand up is a contest on some shots, but not others. And it doesn't always force you to fade away. You could even go into them if you really wanted to.

In Summary: I believe 2k places too much emphasis on open/not open with little regard to other things (which is why we see a guard stripping a pf on a break, or all of those blocks where dudes just fly in and smash the ball out of your hands.) I would like to see a more complex physics system (taking into account strength, size and weight) along with more angle/contest/shot choices once a player decides they are going into a scoring motion. Since 2k is already an animation based game, the groundwork is already there. If it was properly implemented, it would be beautiful and fix many of 2ks problems.

Thanks for reading.

-Smak
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-08-2016, 07:58 PM   #2
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Fixing Defense and Maybe More:

"I would like to see a more complex physics system[...]" 👌

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk
Old 02-10-2016, 06:17 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzsomehanz
"I would like to see a more complex physics system[...]" ��

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk
yeah, but what I mean is that it can be more animation based and thus easier to implement. It could take into account button presses like when x animation starts... let's say you begin a fade away and you have x amount of time to press towards the person and jump. Simple example, but things like that. It's just not realistic to have two players in decent animations and have a help defender come in completely out of the 'physics' of that interaction and block or strip nearly every time.

It doesn't work to have a physics system with these other mega-jumps, mega-dunks, mega-rebounds... mega cross overs (if you will.)

It doesn't need to be like each body has its own collision box or anything, the way 2k is. It just needs to check what is happening around you, look at timing of the button presses compared to where the other players are in their animation (and what buttons they are pressing) and make a more realistic outcome.

Of course, I've been asking for this for years... but I was also asking for per play fatigue bars and we got that (even tho dudes still never get tired) ... so we can hope.

-Smak
Old 02-11-2016, 10:17 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 4

What needs to happen is they get a better tech adviser to help with the defensive settings. In regards to what each does and how it is implemented. Defensively this game makes zero sense in comparison to real pro basketball.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »