Home

Mike Wang Explains the Art of Perfecting Your Jumper in NBA 2K16

This is a discussion on Mike Wang Explains the Art of Perfecting Your Jumper in NBA 2K16 within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-11-2016, 12:49 PM   #49
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Mike Wang Explains the Art of Perfecting Your Jumper in NBA 2K16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockie_Fresh88
Thing that gets me is bricking like 5 open jumpers in the row . What can I do about that smh like what's the reason for bad defense getting blessed over and over again ?
You have to question everything about the jumper. Was he the player set, was he open, how many passes happen before that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoFri
watched the 2k tips 1 or 2 episodes back and they talked abt the "5 passes" tips. perhaps that could give u some good rhythm shots in pro-am?
This is huge!!! People just don't see it. And I think it's hilarious. I notice that if I drive and kick it out to a open shooter. I might miss. But if I drive and kick to a open shooter. And then have to make another pass to an open shooter. The shot has a way high chance of going down even if I missed up the release a little. But like in my video on the first page. I've seen that happen. Where I see bad releases go down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustle Westbrook
I've never missed any green release free throws in any 2K. I'd probably be absolutely furious if that happened.
It's really amazing when it happens. I've seen Rondo, Curry and Ray Allen miss green release FT before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slegger
Thanks for posting the article 8KB24!

For me these two sections were the most intriguing:

"...In*2K16, the shot is not always guaranteed; rather, the green release increases the shot’s likelihood by an approximate factor of two. For example, if a player, after all mitigating factors are considered, has a 40 percent chance of making the shot, the green release will give him an 80 percent chance. There is a tipping point, however—if a player is ranked under 30 percent for a shot, there are no "green frames" at all..."

“...When you stare at the meter, you’re going to lose sight of the context around you, and you’re going to be*overthinking*the game. If you can get down to the point where shooting is second nature and it’s got a feel to it, you’re going to find that rhythm...”

“...It’s all about rhythm..."
Agree Loved it all.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:17 PM   #50
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoFri
watched the 2k tips 1 or 2 episodes back and they talked abt the "5 passes" tips. perhaps that could give u some good rhythm shots in pro-am?
So completely pass out of a shot where no one is within 5-10 feet of you, because you're 'blessed' with the defender that chooses to never pay attention or chases the ball, leaving you wide open nearly every possession? Right. That makes about as much sense as kneeling a foot from the goal line.

I think I know how to take open shots and get into rhythm, I don't need some tutorial video to tell me that, thank you. The point of my original post isn't that shooters miss, it's about the mechanics of the game choosing (sometimes randomly) whether it wants you to get hot or cold through no fault of your own.

Last edited by Caelumfang; 02-11-2016 at 01:23 PM.
Old 02-11-2016, 02:12 PM   #51
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caelumfang
So completely pass out of a shot where no one is within 5-10 feet of you, because you're 'blessed' with the defender that chooses to never pay attention or chases the ball, leaving you wide open nearly every possession? Right. That makes about as much sense as kneeling a foot from the goal line.

I think I know how to take open shots and get into rhythm, I don't need some tutorial video to tell me that, thank you. The point of my original post isn't that shooters miss, it's about the mechanics of the game choosing (sometimes randomly) whether it wants you to get hot or cold through no fault of your own.
You see I don't think it's random. I think it's % wise. Like I said in my other post. The extra pass vs the one pass open shoot. I'm pretty sure (you can prove me wrong if you'd like) I think even in real life. Obviously standing shots going in more than moving shots. But I think in real life moving the ball around for an open shot has a high % of going down. Like....
https://youtu.be/PXbntVlB9Bo?t=2m45s

I've seen the above play type a million times now (we all have probably). But I think that type of shot goes in way more then the one pass to a wide open player. And I think that stat wise. Those jump shots going in at a higher rate. I do think if you kick it out to a WIDE OPEN player. Instead of taking the shot as quickly as possible. Wait a few counts... And then take the shot.

But also I think he was just trying to help you out. Saying realism is not what you want in this forum hurts lol

Last edited by jeebs9; 02-11-2016 at 02:14 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-11-2016, 02:44 PM   #52
MVP

I used to take shots as quickly as possible with my players if I was wide open. Now I wait a half a second and then take a shot. 'To calm my player down'. You see it happen all the time IRL.
Old 02-11-2016, 02:56 PM   #53
Pro

LO6IX's Arena

Why should it matter how many passes were made before the shot.

3:22 is the exact same play as the one below. Notice the hop when a right handed shooter is going to his right and the awareness to shoot when his defender was trailing.

1-2, no rhythm, bad shot grade, defender is in the dust. Shooters are unaware of where their defender is, they don't use the hop or 1-2 correctly when curling. No shooter waits 2 seconds to get their feet set. There is shot preparation that gets them in squared, on balance and in rhythm.

Look at Steph's catch and shoot jumpers in this video.
Old 02-11-2016, 03:46 PM   #54
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slegger
I do seem to have better results by not looking at the shot meter and I try to ignore it, but leave it on because I have a hard time making free throws without it. I know I can easily switch it on-off before the free throw, but wouldn't it be great if they let you practise free throws.
I'd be keen to see the option to have the shot meter on for free throws only. I tried turning it off but ended up turning it back on due to free throws.
Old 02-11-2016, 03:56 PM   #55
MVP

nova91's Arena

OVR: 14

The funniest part about reading this is...that almost none of it applies to opposing CPU shooters only me and the AI on my team. I can give Frank Kaminsky an absolutely wide open 3(81 standing 3), let him set his feet, pull up in rhythm off of a nice pass and he'll clang 3-4 straight. On the other hand, CPU James Johnson(64 standing/57 moving 3) comes down and drain an off balance 3 off of a mid air pass with a man in right in their jersey like it's no problem and not only that they can do it multiple times.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-11-2016, 04:32 PM   #56
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova91
The funniest part about reading this is...that almost none of it applies to opposing CPU shooters only me and the AI on my team. I can give Frank Kaminsky an absolutely wide open 3(81 standing 3), let him set his feet, pull up in rhythm off of a nice pass and he'll clang 3-4 straight. On the other hand, CPU James Johnson(64 standing/57 moving 3) comes down and drain an off balance 3 off of a mid air pass with a man in right in their jersey like it's no problem and not only that they can do it multiple times.
I just had Kawhy Leonard miss 2 straight WIDE OPEN threes. What did I make? An off-balance three with Kobe who has 65 standing 3pter and Kawhi was in my face. Next posessions? Pull-up three in transition with Russell. It happens to both CPU and you. You just notice the bad stuff.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »