Home

Mike Wang Explains the Art of Perfecting Your Jumper in NBA 2K16

This is a discussion on Mike Wang Explains the Art of Perfecting Your Jumper in NBA 2K16 within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-11-2016, 11:16 PM   #65
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Mike Wang Explains the Art of Perfecting Your Jumper in NBA 2K16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9
I totally understand what your saying. Open shot = Going in. But could you imagine a formula like that. That's what we had last year. And that's not championships basketball. The last 3-5 teams that have won. Have crazy ball movement. Not isoing or one man teams. Those days are gone. Not even Jordan was like that. The Bulls moved the ball around. I'm going to post some videos tomorrow.

But that's what 2k devs are trying to show. Being wide open with a good release does not mean the ball should go in. That's not the way it works in real life.

I'll explain my when I'm not mobile anymore.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
That's what you're not getting. Not one of us is asking for every open look to fall. We know that. We're asking to not have our shooting switch shut completely off, as in bricking 5/6/7 wide open looks IN A ROW, just because some mechanic that Mike Wang talked about at the beginning of 2k16 decided it wanted to activate out of nowhere.

Ball movement should also matter when it moves to the open shooter, which ch should not be predetermined by the mythical pass number.

Like, seriously, you really don't think anything is wrong when you can sometimes go 3-15, 5-17, 2-16 etc on shots where your defender is literally disrespecting you and actually walking off of you? And I can already see you're gonna repeat the whole 'move the ball' speech. To who? Especially if your defender is literally ball chasing and double-teaming everyone else on the team? Guess the shooter who had his switch turned off should just be a backdrop, right?

Last edited by Caelumfang; 02-11-2016 at 11:27 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-11-2016, 11:36 PM   #66
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

OVR: 4

Nah, we are not requesting all open shots from wide open position or from ball movement should equal = successful make.

The NBA is playing on 12 minute quarters with more room for error. We are playing on 6 minutes online and even less time in Park: we have little chances afforded to recover and respond from open misses.

In Park and Online Play: we need the defense to pay at a higher rate than simulated NBA games. The spacing on Pro Am is such that it's hard enough for perimeter players to be successful in the paint in a half court set.

If the release is clean and the player is not cold: yes, the shooter should not be clanking repeatedly on open looks. It simply should not be happening - not in such a condensed scale for minutes played.

In Park, I'm afforded about 3 or 4 shots per game as a G and a premier guard at that meaning I handle the ball probably the most in each park game. In Pro Am I'm looking at at least 9 attempts per game +/- 3 give or take on average.

My point is: the punishment on open shots is very severe. The algorithm is not simulated well at all - it's very generic as if programmed on a lazy scale rather than a professional scale for Pro Am and Online.

Now, in Park, I have a very hard time going 0-3 on open looks... this is just shameful and appalling. I am not cold and I have the stats and experienced jumpshot to boot that should merit me the makes but the rim simply refuses to accept my shot as a make.

If the defender or team defense is legitimately disturbing my defense by various ways such as draining my energy with physical play, contesting consistently, forcing turnovers: by all means : reward that team and that defense and punish me. If however I am literally bring given oceans of space AND I and demonstrating a clean release: please reward me for my efforts! I'm not asking for greens or 100% rates but again if the circumstances support a make and so do my actions: please justify that and compel the defender and team to strip up and adjust.

0-3 on open looks with no hindrance to rhythm should warrant makes by outside scorers or anyone with 80+ shooting who demonstrate that they know their release. And the kicker? I can make half court shots in Park to win games without being hot or using park cards but next game I can go 0 for 3 from wide open? On looks that should be as easy as throwing a rock into an ocean?

It's getting to the point that so much is simply overriden by virtue of simulating off games. 2k, we are not following an NBA calendar in Park or Pro Am or Online Play - we are not following practice schedules and off days. Unless I am cold by virtue of great defensive play and sloppy offensive play: me nor my opponent should be suffering off games in these modes.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk
Old 02-11-2016, 11:41 PM   #67
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caelumfang
That's what you're not getting. Not one of us is asking for every open look to fall. We know that. We're asking to not have our shooting switch shut completely off, as in bricking 5/6/7 wide open looks IN A ROW, just because some mechanic that Mike Wang talked about at the beginning of 2k16 decided it wanted to activate out of nowhere.

Ball movement should also matter when it moves to the open shooter, which ch should not be predetermined by the mythical pass number.

Like, seriously, you really don't think anything is wrong when you can sometimes go 3-15, 5-17, 2-16 etc on shots where your defender is literally disrespecting you and actually walking off of you? And I can already see you're gonna repeat the whole 'move the ball' speech. To who? Especially if your defender is literally ball chasing and double-teaming everyone else on the team? Guess the shooter who had his switch turned off should just be a backdrop, right?
Yea man... Your tone isn't something I'd reply back to anyway. Just trying to have a simple debate. Like I said. I'll answer the other tomorrow.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 02-11-2016, 11:41 PM   #68
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caelumfang

I have some facts to share that address the mythic bias towards ball movement = more success. Nah, there is a report that discloses how there is such a thing as too much ball movement.

Your best chance,simply put, in the NBA is off a quick catch and shoot either in transition our out of a set. And of course: the corner 3 is that money opportunity for all teams.

I'm with you Cael

Old 02-12-2016, 12:11 AM   #69
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2014/1...ayer-movement/

Quote:
There is no correlation between ball movement and offensive efficiency. Three top-10 offenses — Oklahoma City, Phoenix and Toronto — ranked in the bottom 10 in ball movement (passes per minute in half-court possessions). And five bottom-10 offenses — Philadelphia, Milwaukee, Utah, Charlotte and the Lakers — ranked in the top 10.
- Let's not forget the success the Suns 6s quick pacd offense had either. The Spurs are as unique as that Suns squad albeit still polar opposite. Curry and Korver, Kerr and Reggie Miller, all are 3pt lords but all use different means to their ends and all possess a unique shooting mastery.

This 5 pass to score mantra is hogwash and is more prevalent in high school and college when facing zone defense.

Last edited by hanzsomehanz; 02-12-2016 at 12:14 AM.
Old 02-12-2016, 12:40 AM   #70
Lockdown Defender

Rockie_Fresh88's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9
I totally understand what your saying. Open shot = Going in. But could you imagine a formula like that. That's what we had last year. And that's not championships basketball. The last 3-5 teams that have won. Have crazy ball movement. Not isoing or one man teams. Those days are gone. Not even Jordan was like that. The Bulls moved the ball around. I'm going to post some videos tomorrow
Oh I 100% agree. and moving the ball has gotten my squad nearly 300 pro am wins. It's just when I'm in a rut I have a chip on my shoulder. I admit I might start jacking more shots than usual just to prove I can hit a jumper
#1 Laker fan
First Team Defense !!!
Old 02-12-2016, 01:14 AM   #71
Rookie

bottledwaterfan25's Arena

The 5 pass rule that keeps getting brought up has absolutely NOTHING to do with the success rate of an open jumper; it is a tip that 2k offered to help out the clueless noobs that ball hog, and don't understand the game of basketball very well. some people just don't get it. An open shot is an open shot; it does not matter if it takes 1 pass, or 19 passes to find the open shooter. When a good shooter is wide open, with a good release, shots should be falling at a higher rate than they currently are.

By the way, I am speaking from the prospective of being an avid pro-am player, as well as play now online, and myteam. With online games being much shorter than the standard 12 minute quarter games, it is crucial to capitalize on every single opening your opponent gives you. I feel as though right now those wide open opportunities are not being rewarded at a fair rate.

I'm not asking for much, I don't want every shot to fall, I'm just tired of those random games where 2k has me shooting like 2016 Kobe, when I'm really more like KD.
"I've missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed." - Michael Jordan
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-12-2016, 01:26 AM   #72
Rookie

OVR: 0

Honestly, I'm so inconsistent with shooting in Park this year and I've been getting annoyed. A lot of you might disagree or whatever, but I wouldn't mind if park was like 2k15 before Patch 3. Definetly before patch 4. I understand that you won't make every shot. But come on now, I'm missing wide open midranges (89 mid) too much. I have another guy that has a 94 and is missing wide open midranges too.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »