Home

Retiring Superstars...

This is a discussion on Retiring Superstars... within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-15-2016, 04:12 PM   #1
Rookie

HarlemYankee's Arena

OVR: 0
Retiring Superstars...

Just had an idea... I know that in 2K, a lot of times they'll have some corny update on their "Twitter" feed mid-season about random people deciding to retire at the end of their season, but I thought if they did this for superstar players (they'd have to be seven, eight-time all-stars at least), they could have the announcement be a big deal, then for the remainder of the season if you were to play them Kevin, Clark and GA would mention something about "what a career it has been" or something like that.

It seems more and more players are giving their fans that one last time to see them during the season and going on these "farewell tours" similar to Jordan/Kobe/Jeter/Big Papi, etc.

If that, along with the potential retirement of numbers were to be integrated into the presentation of the game, it would make a huge impact IMO. Anyone agree?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-15-2016, 06:50 PM   #2
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

Re: Retiring Superstars...

I do. I would love to see something like this. But I'd like the commentators to reference general NBA news like injuries, contract extentsions, coach hot seat, retirements (of multiple time all stars), unhappy player demanding trades as well. Say for instance Durant announces to the Thunder that he intends to be a free agent. I'd like to hear about that even if I'm not playing with or against the Thunder. It could be just for "star" players to eliminate the redundancy. I understand that they cant record lines for every player and every situation but it would be cool to hear something generic like.

(any dead ball during game)

Kevin: Big news around the NBA tonight. (player name, in this case Durant) has announced his intentions to become a free agent. What do you guys make of that?

Clark: That huge news, Kevin. Every team around the league will be looking at their cap and hoping to land this guy. Who wouldn't? He's the total package and will make you an instant contender. But I wouldn't rule out the (team) keeping him, though. They are playing really well this year with a record of (team record). He's gonna have a tough decision to make.

GA: Yeah. You have to think that the (team) are doing everything in their power to persuade him to stay in town. I think that a good run in the playoffs might be enough to sway him.

Just general stuff like that where they just have to fill in the name, team, record or whatever pertinent thing. Then maybe have the halftime show guys dive a little deeper with their opinions. But
Old 02-15-2016, 09:40 PM   #3
Rookie

HarlemYankee's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Moe
I do. I would love to see something like this. But I'd like the commentators to reference general NBA news like injuries, contract extentsions, coach hot seat, retirements (of multiple time all stars), unhappy player demanding trades as well. Say for instance Durant announces to the Thunder that he intends to be a free agent. I'd like to hear about that even if I'm not playing with or against the Thunder. It could be just for "star" players to eliminate the redundancy. I understand that they cant record lines for every player and every situation but it would be cool to hear something generic like.

Kevin: Big news around the NBA tonight. (player name, in this case Durant) has announced his intentions to become a free agent. What do you guys make of that?

Clark: That huge news, Kevin. Every team around the league will be looking at their cap and hoping to land this guy. Who wouldn't? He's the total package and will make you an instant contender. But I wouldn't rule out the (team) keeping him, though. They are playing really well this year with a record of (team record). He's gonna have a tough decision to make.

GA: Yeah. You have to think that the (team) are doing everything in their power to persuade him to stay in town. I think that a good run in the playoffs might be enough to sway him.

Just general stuff like that where they just have to fill in the name, team, record or whatever pertinent thing. Then maybe have the halftime show guys dive a little deeper with their opinions. But
100% agree.. Little things like that during MyGM or MyLeague would be great little touches.

Even if they just recorded a few things for the transcendent superstars like the Lebrons, Kobes, Durants, Duncans, etc.... It would really seem as though these huge superstars are actually departing from your "world" instead of just seeing "Lebron has decided to call it quits" on a fake Twitter timeline
Old 02-15-2016, 09:51 PM   #4
Pro

scooterperpetual's Arena

Id love anything to make especially myleague more immersive. I cant bring myself to play MyGM just because I dont like the badges and levels and having to worry about job security lol.

But I would love for them to mentions important things in the league. They talk about trades that teams that are playing have made which is really cool but id love to see even more things like that.

I also wouldnt mind seeing something like players demanding trades in MyLeague maybe make it an option you can enable or disable because I personally would love this.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:19 PM   #5
Rookie

HarlemYankee's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterperpetual
Id love anything to make especially myleague more immersive. I cant bring myself to play MyGM just because I dont like the badges and levels and having to worry about job security lol.

But I would love for them to mentions important things in the league. They talk about trades that teams that are playing have made which is really cool but id love to see even more things like that.

I also wouldnt mind seeing something like players demanding trades in MyLeague maybe make it an option you can enable or disable because I personally would love this.
They had player morale in the past and it was an absolute joke... Players rated in the mid 70's would almost always demand a trade when they were role players on a championship team. More realistic trade demanding would be cool but I don't know how you'd implement it
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-15-2016, 10:21 PM   #6
Pro

scooterperpetual's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrellevator
They had player morale in the past and it was an absolute joke... Players rated in the mid 70's would almost always demand a trade when they were role players on a championship team. More realistic trade demanding would be cool but I don't know how you'd implement it
Yea tht would be the main problem perhaps adding an override or approval similar to how trade override/approval works
Old 02-15-2016, 10:31 PM   #7
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Moe

Also it'd be cool if they talked about how well certain draft picks were playing.and whether they're over-achieving(Porzingis) or Under performing(D'Angelo Russell)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-16-2016, 06:24 AM   #8
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterperpetual

The crazy thing is that they already have the template commentary wise with how they reference a teams record and free throw percentage year to year. And how they just fill in a players name when talking about certain badges. During the halftime show the little news scroll has all the juicy NBA news and rumors. Just combine the two and we're golden.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »