Home

NBA 2K's MyCareer Mode is insulting and offensive

This is a discussion on NBA 2K's MyCareer Mode is insulting and offensive within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 08:25 PM   #1
Rookie

BonesKnows85's Arena

OVR: 6
NBA 2K's MyCareer Mode is insulting and offensive

Every year this is usually the time when I start playing NBA 2k and start wrapping up Madden. It did not take me long to notice how white people were basically excluded from MyCareer mode. I also noticed that someone made the extraordinarily bad decision to associate this game with Spike Lee. Which clearly let me understand why this is basically a mode and story that excludes whites. The writing is awful, just plain awful. Aside from the racial issues this mode has now.

#1...Dear 2K, WHITE PEOPLE PLAY IN THE NBA. White people love basketball. White people make up a huge portion of the people that buy this game. SO WHY HAVE WE BEEN EXCLUDED FROM THE PREMIER GAME MODE???

I could understand if we were controlling a pre-existing black character. Like in many other games where you control a character and play out his story. This is a major problem in itself...which brings me to #2

#2....Sporting game's Career Modes should NOT be RPGs. The outcomes are not predetermined.

But back to #1, they allow you to create yourself, scan your face, and be a white player. Only to kill the whole mode by being placed in an all black family and hailing from "da hood" in Harlem. Like I said, the writing is the cheesiest piece of garbage I have ever seen. Spike Lee has shown me that he is pure awful at writing.

For years, white players have been forced to create player's with black guy voices. This year they decide to take it a step further and create a story for black players only.

This should also be very offensive to black men as well because its stereotyping. Almost all of the black superstars in the NBA are smart, educated, or at the very least are well spoken. This game promotes the traditional "from the hood, all my friends are thugs, and I talk pure uneducated slang" stereotype. There is a white voice in the game, belonging to an agent that constantly tries to speak the same slang. Just made me laugh. I dont want to keep going on this, bottom line is a few things....

I am a white basketball player
I dont want some ghetto nickname like Frequency Vibrations
I dont want to repeatedly be referred to as FREQ
I dont want to be an adopted child
I dont want MyPlayer to speak ebonics
I dont want to be from Harlem
I dont want thuggish friends

I want to play a career mode and create myself realistically and have a normal voice. Is that too much to ask for? That this game include all racial options for MyCareer mode. I'm also sure there are many black players that hate this story mode as much as I do. Its pathetic. Its stereotyping.

For a game like 2K that has completely killed its competition and has made incredible strides in presentation, they can do better. Please never do business with Spike Lee again.

From now on, at least I automatically know that anything that is a "Spike Lee Joint" is pure garbage.

White people play basketball too 2K. Apparently you guys do not know this.
BASKETBALL NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
2006 - 2007
BASEBALL NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Last edited by BonesKnows85; 02-27-2016 at 09:08 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-27-2016, 09:12 PM   #2
Rookie

ashantewarrier's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: NBA 2K's MyCareer Mode is insulting and offensive

You have a choice. Don't buy the game or play MyCareer mode. Simple as that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-27-2016, 10:25 PM   #3
Rookie

Ace2734's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashantewarrier
You have a choice. Don't buy the game or play MyCareer mode. Simple as that.

Stupid answer. He brings up valid, well thought out points and you suggest he just turn his back on a game mode? Lame.

Old 02-27-2016, 10:33 PM   #4
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace2734
Stupid answer. He brings up valid, well thought out points and you suggest he just turn his back on a game mode? Lame.

Why are white people so damn offended by this? Jeez it's one game. I have to play as a white guy in games like the last of us, some of the GTA games, etc. I don't complain about it.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk
Old 02-27-2016, 10:44 PM   #5
Rookie

Dude why is he acting like suck a little pussflap about it. it's a just a video game

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-27-2016, 11:06 PM   #6
Rookie

BonesKnows85's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullsFan21
Dude why is he acting like suck a little pussflap about it. it's a just a video game

Ignoring this child. He obviously doesnt understand the concept of constructive criticism. Dude said "it's just a video game". That's why I posted it here....on a forum for sports video games. And not taking it to federal court.
2006 - 2007

Last edited by BonesKnows85; 02-27-2016 at 11:09 PM.
Old 02-27-2016, 11:08 PM   #7
Rookie

BonesKnows85's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard2001
Why are white people so damn offended by this? Jeez it's one game. I have to play as a white guy in games like the last of us, some of the GTA games, etc. I don't complain about it.

Did you even read my post? I dont think you did.

I would have zero problem playing with a black character in any game like Uncharted or GTA.

I clearly said its a problem because the game allowed me to CREATE MYSELF. I am playing MyCareer as myself, not a pre existing character. And im not from Harlem, not black, dont have a twin sister, etc.

There is a big difference between playing as Nathan Drake and playing as myself.
2006 - 2007

Last edited by BonesKnows85; 02-27-2016 at 11:11 PM.
Old 02-27-2016, 11:09 PM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonesKnows85
Did you even read my post? I dont think you did.

I would have zero problem playing with a black character in any game like Uncharted or GTA.

I clearly said its a problem because the game allowed me to CREATE MYSELF. I am playing MyCareer as myself, not a pre existing character. And im not from Harlem, not black, dont have a twin sister, etc.
It's not an insult to white people.

Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »