Home

2k17 Offensive AI/ Freelance wishlist

This is a discussion on 2k17 Offensive AI/ Freelance wishlist within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-04-2016, 05:42 AM   #17
Pro

LO6IX's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: 2k17 Offensive AI/ Freelance wishlist

Screens aren't being set on defenders. They're being set in the area and sometimes are ineffective. Cutters need to set their man up to go into screens off the ball. This happens on all set plays and freelances

I'm running flex here and Matthews is supposed to cross screen for Felton in the corner but instead looks like he's setting a rip screen for Barea. I understand Felton's man left him to double but Matthews should still be able to screen him. This sometimes happens even when everyone is in the right places

Skip to :20

At 0:14 players bump into each other on the cross screen and takes away the cutting lane. At 0:18 Barea sets the screen on the area instead of Dirk's man, and Dirk sprints around the screen like a guard when he should have set up his man to go into the screen then got an open rhythm hop/1-2 jumpshot. More hop and 1-2 animations need to added so that players can come off screens for rhythm shots or attack close outs.

I get good shots in both clips below but the screens aren't being set on the defenders. Both are Hawks freelance.

Here's a comparison of a Warriors set from real life to the 2k version. The guard sets the screen differently in real life.

They show the ability to run it in practice like in the clip below but they simply don't do it a lot of the time in games. Another little thing I'd like to see is improved footwork on shuffle cuts and slice cuts. And being able to catch the ball in stride and attack on the move. It should have been two steps to the rim for Barnes at the end of the clip below.

Shooters need to spot up in the corners in 2 on 1 and 3 on 1 fastbreaks.

Last edited by LO6IX; 03-04-2016 at 05:46 AM.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:10 AM   #18
QNo
MVP

Love what you've done with the AI, big czar! A few small notes:

- Shooters either cutting towards the basket or taking a step in to shoot a long 2 when you pass it to them in the corner. Just stay in the corner, Klay.
- Hawks Freelance needs some cleaning up. Some actions take forever to initiate, others are really hard to stay in (high PnRs, mostly).
- The Mavs deserve a better freelance (though their playbook is nice).
- Take out the Y-cut unless the defensive AI is able to defend these cuts properly. At least take out the speed burst. They are really overpowered in the hands of a smart user, very difficult to defend. In combination with certain plays it is almost impossible to contain them. The result doesn't look anything like basketball with the AI defender not getting the same speed burst the offense gets.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:43 PM   #19
Pro

Cowboyfan_19's Arena

I'm loving all the new freelance options this year, especially the Princeton Chin. A few more I would include would be Dean Smith's 4 corner offense and John Wooden's UCLA offense.

More importantly however, I would like to see the offenses run a tad bit more smoothly, because some run better than others for whatever reason. I'm seeing offenses take a REALLY long time to initiate and players not running to their spots in a timely manner. This is important because of the obvious 24 second clock.

Lastly, I would like a Panel that separates Zone offense from Man offenses. It's usually a possession wasted when I'm looking for an offense I need to run, and it takes about 10 seconds just to look for it in a 24 second time frame.

One last thing, better off and on ball screens are needed. The defender can too easily go around my guy setting the screen.
Old 03-04-2016, 05:45 PM   #20
MVP

OVR: 3

oh the back and forth dribbling the CPU does as it waits to rifle a pass to a big doing a "backdoor cut" needs to be visited because bigs rarely do backdoor cuts and the representation of them often results in a pass that would be stolen 100% of the time. Could it be replaced with a duck-in by the big?
Old 03-04-2016, 05:53 PM   #21
Rookie

Dyslexicphish's Arena

Being able to pause the game and set freelance options would be great. More often then not I give up a possession just setting it up. Also in said menu you would be able to see the Xs and Os of every individual freelance like you would see for plays in the playbook editor.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-04-2016, 06:33 PM   #22
Rookie

I only have one question...if you're in control of the offensive AI, is it you that's responsible for the AI never shooting before the 1.3 second mark in the shot clock every single time? If so, is there an explanation behind it? It's been like this since forever. I mean we're not in our backyards trying to hit a buzzer beater shot, so why the wait to shoot the ball so late in the shot clock?
Old 03-04-2016, 09:44 PM   #23
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Offensively I'd like to see the AI run their offense a little more quickly (play development can be a bit predicable but this may be due to how fast plays run, not their offense) and utilize more plays throughout the game. It seems like the AI will use 5-10 plays/game when their are 30 that can be ran. At the end of the game the bread and butter should be utilized.

More smart transition offense, please. I've rarely ever seen the AI run a transition play where they have the numbers advantage. Usually it's one guy sprinting off a steal which he'll take all the way to the hoop if he can, but if he gets cut off by a defender, he'll run to the baseline and stop the play or take a weird angled baseline fadeaway. Never a 2-on-1 or 3-on-2 scenario, and never a secondary break. The first time I see the AI actually throw an alley-oop in transition, I think I'll wake the neighbors from screaming so loud.
Quote:
More importantly however, I would like to see the offenses run a tad bit more smoothly, because some run better than others for whatever reason. I'm seeing offenses take a REALLY long time to initiate and players not running to their spots in a timely manner. This is important because of the obvious 24 second clock.

Quote:

have ai utilize dump off bounce passes for trailing players on the fastbreak

have ai sometimes post up,kickout and then repost

more emphasis on teams that run plays from the high post esspecially for bigs like paul gasol and marc gasol

hand-off plays where big-men would hand-off then box out or block defender so there is room for a shot by a smaller player

have a walk the ball up the court/fastbreak tendency for user/cpu for teams that are known to slow things down

have ai utilize rolling inbounds pass sometimes

Quote:
I'd also recommend more back-door plays for alley oops as it seems to be common when players over-play so maybe add a second branch when people are anticipating the perimeter shot off a screen/post-up as well?

Quote:
And shooters should spot up in transition; hands out and ready.
Co-Signing on all of these.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:10 AM   #24
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by oouie433
I think I can speak for a vast majority of MyCareer players when I say that we do spend a lot of time vs the computer AI and with our computer AI teammates. If there is any way that our teammates can be made to play like their real life counterparts so that we don't have to become HOF players it would be great.

Some of us just want to be role players for our careers, but it's hard when you've got guys like DWade as a teammate and he doesn't resemble the future HOF player that he is. I'm sure (hopefully) you're aware of this as it's been something the community has been asking for for years now.

I appreciate all the freelance options, but our AI teammates make some really bad decisions (ie always kicking it to us at the end of the shot clock). It would be nice to have the option to take over a game for the win, not a requirement for us to take over the game to get the win.
You don't understand how many times teammates pass the ball to me in MYCAREER. A Inside Center with no 3 point ability but yet they still pass the ball to me expecting me to hit a 3.

The problem I see with the AI teammates, they still doesn't recognize mismatch. I have to force them to pass the ball to me when I have a mismatch. That shouldn't happen. If the play we are running and I have mismatch where a weak SF, SG, or PG is guarding me. The play that we are running should be cancel and a play of giving me the ball in post should of being run so I can look to score or pass out if I am getting double team.

Another thing I recognize from the AI from both sides, their late game situations are terrible. This is coming from Mycareer, it's like AI doesn't know what to do with 5 secs or less left on the clock. They just passing the ball around looking like chickens with their head cut off. Then up taking the worst shots I ever seen. Sometimes when it's my team to tie or win the game. They literally would pass me the ball at the 3 point line when I can't shoot a 3. I pass it back it then they pass to me again. Like we are playing hot potato. I am just dumb founded how incompetent the AI can be.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »