Home

2K16 Coach settings is a secret to winning; wrong settings can make offense trash ...

This is a discussion on 2K16 Coach settings is a secret to winning; wrong settings can make offense trash ... within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-16-2016, 09:40 PM   #25
DJ2K

mb625's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: 2K16 Coach settings is a secret to winning; wrong settings can make offense trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb625
Thanks for this, Sam. I've found all of your videos extremely helpful and it's great to have someone out there in the community who is dedicated to teaching guys how to play basketball and not just play a video game and simply find exploits in order to win.

That said, I do have a question. I usually leave my subs and playcalling on Auto and haven't really experienced any problems with it. When I cross half court (not having called a play of my own) I'm always in my freelance (I usually prefer 7 Seconds) and I don't see separate plays being called and when I call a play (which is about 80-plus % of my trips down the floor) it's that play that gets run. Am I missing something here? Is there something going on in the background that I don't see?

Secondly, with subs, I usually just allow auto subs to run so that it follows the actual rotation and I don't see any personnel groupings on the floor that I don't really want (only thing is when I play as my regular Blazers and Noah Vonleh comes on the floor, he doesn't space the floor as well as I want my 4 to do, but he usually only plays a couple of minutes per game anyway, and I can play around it). Is there a particular reason you roll with Manual subs or is it just personal preference?

Again, thanks for this. All your videos have been super helpful in my learning of the game (and I've actually been seeing improvement lately due to watching your videos and working with another PS4 player who taught me some good sim-oriented strategies as well!) and I do appreciate the hard work you do on these!
I lied. I have it on manual for playcalling. But my question on subs still stand.

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk
European Football: Manchester United, Brighton & Hove Albion
NCAA: UNI Panthers, Iowa Hawkeyes

Twitter: @mbless625
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-17-2016, 08:28 AM   #26
MVP

heelphreak's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: 2K16 Coach settings is a secret to winning; wrong settings can make offense trash

I've noticed a recent trend of criticism of Sam Pham. I'm not sure what to make of it. You may not like his delivery, but I find it incredibly difficult to presume that he doesn't do this for the good of the community. He seems like a great kid in my opinion. I can say kid since I'm 43... A little goofy perhaps but I for one appreciate the tips. I've learned a lot of concepts that I incorporate into my strategy, particularly on defense.
Old 03-17-2016, 12:55 PM   #27
All Star

TarHeelPhenom's Arena

OVR: 10

Here is the questions i have...

1) Ex. I change my POE to play physical defense, yet i dont set individual adjustments for my players, then how does play physical defense translate on the floor? Because you can do that...meaning have everything on AUTO regarding individual players, yet set POE's.

2) Explain the pick-n-roll defensive settings...Ex. hedge(center) as opposed to regular hedge, whats the difference between the 2? I know Sam said as far as hedge goes its better to use soft instead of hard. Is this actually the case?

3) How do you implore the Bad Boys defense?
Old 03-17-2016, 01:12 PM   #28
MVP

OVR: 10

My only criticism of Sam Pham would be that he doesn't post videos as often anymore! LOL

I can imagine it's very time consuming, and there's a point where there's really not much more he can say, I guess.

I'd setting for gameplay footage with overdubbed commentary of online games. That would actually be very useful.
Old 03-17-2016, 04:36 PM   #29
Pro

OVR: 0

The great video once again man. Keep em coming.
Old 03-17-2016, 04:37 PM   #30
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Good video as always Pham...

Don't know why coming at you is the new move nowadays but posts like these is what we need more of. Keep up the good work, you definitely have guys out there who appreciate it.
It's starting to get a little disturbing tbh...
Old 03-17-2016, 07:13 PM   #31
QNo
MVP

I think there are broadly two reasons you get more hate around here Sam. The first is that you have changed your delivery to appeal to a different, younger crowd. I find it kind of annoying that you rename every play and talk in superlatives a lot (you have like 5 videos each on the best freelance and the best defense, etc). But I get that that's what a lot of the newer viewers want, so be it. The second is that you're doing some things that are less sim than what you used to do, e.g. use a lot of Y-cuts and even advocate to use them in situations where the opponent cant see it coming because the cutting player is off-screen. I personally find these cuts quitecheesy, they often don't work because it's great offense but because the AI is incapable of dealing with them correctly. The resulting animations look really stupdid. I refuse to use them except in situations where I find them to be a 'normal' basketball play, e.g. cutting when a guy has my shooter(s) on deny.

That being said, I've seen every video you've released this year and will continue to do so since you're easily the best tutorial maker in all of 2k, and the guy I've learned the most from. I'm even hoping that what you do helps grow the sim community, as your new delivery style draws in some of the younger crowd that doesn't tend to be very sim at all. Thanks for everything.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-17-2016, 07:48 PM   #32
Pro

itchyroll_51's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by QNo
I think there are broadly two reasons you get more hate around here Sam. The first is that you have changed your delivery to appeal to a different, younger crowd. I find it kind of annoying that you rename every play and talk in superlatives a lot (you have like 5 videos each on the best freelance and the best defense, etc). But I get that that's what a lot of the newer viewers want, so be it. The second is that you're doing some things that are less sim than what you used to do, e.g. use a lot of Y-cuts and even advocate to use them in situations where the opponent cant see it coming because the cutting player is off-screen. I personally find these cuts quitecheesy, they often don't work because it's great offense but because the AI is incapable of dealing with them correctly. The resulting animations look really stupdid. I refuse to use them except in situations where I find them to be a 'normal' basketball play, e.g. cutting when a guy has my shooter(s) on deny.

That being said, I've seen every video you've released this year and will continue to do so since you're easily the best tutorial maker in all of 2k, and the guy I've learned the most from. I'm even hoping that what you do helps grow the sim community, as your new delivery style draws in some of the younger crowd that doesn't tend to be very sim at all. Thanks for everything.
Maybe I should tone down the superlatives lol I get too excited sometimes also superlatives are easier to search for. Maybe I will keep it in the titles but not say it as much, sometimes I do honestly feel is best because is new to me lol I always update my tactics and I turn them into tutorials ASAP. I think this makes me feel new is best haha But I trust you Qno, I will tone down superlatives from now on. Thanks for your support as always man.

Sam

Last edited by itchyroll_51; 03-17-2016 at 08:23 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »