Home

Full court passing and turbo spamming killed this year's game.

This is a discussion on Full court passing and turbo spamming killed this year's game. within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-21-2016, 08:38 AM   #25
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Full court passing and turbo spamming killed this year's game.

Russell Westbrook is the GOAT in this years release. I'have played multiple guys, mostly in MyTeam and in Play now online, who didn't do one different offense all match rather than passing the ball to Westbrook just over halfcourt and turbo to the basket.

A lot of people do it constantly even at the stat of the period exploting poor trasition D. Your teammates will just let Westbrook pass by them and they will slowly return to their position.

Only way to possible counter it down (not all the way but at least do not concede same basket every offense ) is switch to a 2-3 zone, turbo back with your C and call a double team as soon as Westbrook gets the ball.

So many people have pointed out the issue though. it is amazing that 22k has patched shooting like 30 times but didn't fin a way to patch this as well.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-21-2016, 10:46 AM   #26
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

OVR: 16

I share you guys' frustration but i'm confident the half-court inbounds/turbo sprint from inbounds offense gets dealt with. Like many have listed here...its a mixture of our AI guys being lazy and not enough bad passes.

Also, some of the things mentioned re: turbo are telling. It should be adapted for 5 min games online (I love the cool-down suggestion) and quiet as kept: WE NEED MORE CHARGES. The offensive foul is still largely a unicorn. I wrote this for a piece I did for the Sportsgaming Blog.

"Pressing circle when a dunker is barreling towards you can’t be the only way to see a charge called, keep in mind a defender doesn’t have to be set if they beat offensive players to the spot. Let’s see offensive fouls called when users take Lebron or Westbrook and ram into defenders at will. In the spirit of guesswork it’d be nice to see a delay before the call is made and some cool referee animations. Having both players on the edge of their seats wondering who the foul is on could be exciting."

Lastly, lets kill all the "2K is horrible the game is broken & a flop" talk...PERSPECTIVE. Its still probably the best simulation of sports out there. Its not perfect and they still have some issues but the game is a GEM in 80% of what it does. Imagine if that-game-we-dont-mention was the only NBA game on the market....................

Last edited by Kushmir; 03-21-2016 at 05:05 PM.
Old 03-21-2016, 02:52 PM   #27
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Lol @ flop...people think because they don't like they game there will be some kind of mass exodus. It sold incredibly well and is still top 5 in games being streamed on PSN most nights. Stop it.

Anyway, OP has a point...but I really don't think anything groundbreaking needs to take place....just remove the things that made it awful this year...the unbreakable celebration animations and the lack of reaction time from AI teamates and your player once you switch onto them in transistion.
Totally agree!
Old 03-21-2016, 03:12 PM   #28
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9
Totally agree!
But I have to say something. I haven't had a problem with the full court turboing as much as everyone. Because at least once a game I see the same players doing it in real life.

We need to have it to make the game real. Westbrook, LeBron, Wall and others do this one or twice a game.

As much as people have complained I never ever notice anyone complain about the offensive player boost they get when running a half court offense. No one in these threads ever mentions it lol. But when the center inbounds the ball. He is usually too slow to get into the offense from the backcourt. But 2k gives those slow players a speed boost even if they are not that fast. Because if they did walk back they it would take too long to start an offense.

And finally long passes. I'm very in different to this whole thing. For one part it doesn't work very well in some case. In others it works perfectly. It's something that's used in real life. SIM players hate it. I hate it at times.

Same game.....

My opponent.... just kept doing it after a long shot I would miss. The second video is my fault for Grant taking a 3. I thought Horry was in a game. But it just hurts to know I worked for a wide open shot with ball movement and my opponent could throw a hailmary for 2 points.
Old 03-21-2016, 05:00 PM   #29
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

OVR: 16

good vids Jeebs, (that second vid tho? that should happen less than 10% of the time--completing that pass with the first vid should be 50% with skilled passers too....just my opinion, risk/reward is all I want)

And you're right...eliminating it totally from the game is NOT what most want (because it happens in reality) pretty sure guys just don't want guys to be able to base their offenses around it/do it at will. Sprinting into a set half-court defense usually ends in futility. I will say tho, that bad defensive teams (like my Sixers) should fall victim to it more often than say, the Spurs.

To me a mixture of competent defenders, more bad 'long' passes, turbo scaled to 5 min quarters and more offensive fouls rectifies it.

Last edited by Kushmir; 03-21-2016 at 05:09 PM.
Old 03-21-2016, 05:24 PM   #30
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

"Turbo should have a cooldown: you shouldn't be able to use turbo continuously, it should be something you have to time strategically, or at least make it as your stamina goes down your stats are GREATLY reduced to punish abusers"

This is the only part I disagree with. A cooldown is a bad idea and more importantly, does not reflect the game of basketball at all.

To all the issues in general, I hope 2k is very careful in whatever solution they take. I don't want offline players like myself to be punished because the online kids can't resist urges to exploit the game. I feel like we already are punished with the harsh skillcaps.
Old 03-21-2016, 06:01 PM   #31
Pro

NoLeafClover's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
"Turbo should have a cooldown: you shouldn't be able to use turbo continuously, it should be something you have to time strategically, or at least make it as your stamina goes down your stats are GREATLY reduced to punish abusers"

This is the only part I disagree with. A cooldown is a bad idea and more importantly, does not reflect the game of basketball at all.

To all the issues in general, I hope 2k is very careful in whatever solution they take. I don't want offline players like myself to be punished because the online kids can't resist urges to exploit the game. I feel like we already are punished with the harsh skillcaps.
What? A cooldown completely reflects the game of basketball, even Westbrook in real life only busts out his ultra high speed rim attacks from full court a couple of times a game, if he did that every single possession he would have had a heart attack by now.

Players have to be selective when to all-out sprint in pretty much every NBA game ever so not sure where you're getting that from?

And i'm not talking about a massive cooldown anyway, just that it could last a max of 5 seconds being held down at one time, then have a recharge time of another X seconds before you can use it again etc.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-21-2016, 06:04 PM   #32
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLeafClover
What? A cooldown completely reflects the game of basketball, even Westbrook in real life only busts out his ultra high speed rim attacks from full court a couple of times a game, if he did that every single possession he would have had a heart attack by now.

Players have to be selective when to all-out sprint in pretty much every NBA game ever so not sure where you're getting that from?
That is not a cooldown though. You are talking about an artificial restriction on something. In the NBA a basketball player never sees an opening but thinks, nope, gotta wait 2 minutes for my speed burst cooldown to expire.

Do a better job of balancing and tuning stamina sure, but a cooldown like what is seen in MMOs? Absolutely not.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »