Home

If you only fix one thing next year

This is a discussion on If you only fix one thing next year within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-28-2016, 10:05 AM   #17
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: If you only fix one thing next year

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellSKA
Ray Vibes took mine, definitely need to replace bucket with individual attribute. No sense in having to up my outside shot if I only want a big man that can shoot free throws well.

So I'll make an addendum to Goffs post. I don't want to get rid of badges, that will negate the need for MyCareer and I don't see 2K doing that. Instead, only allow up to a max (5) of the badges to be used at one time. You still need to unlock badges like you have in the past, but you can tailor your playing style by only being allowed to equip up to 5 badges.

With the change from buckets to individual attributes and only allowing a small amount of badges (3-5) each MyPlayer will have more of a finger print feel instead of a clone feel. There are way too many similar players in 2K. How great would it be to get with your friends and make a complete team where you meet a particular need as opposed to trying to beat a mirror image of yourselves every game?
The bit in bold just makes that problem even worse. Deadeye, Shot Creator, Ankle breaker, Posterizer, limitless range will be equipped on 95% of guards in the park. Even 2k14 allowed 7 badges.
Old 03-28-2016, 10:58 AM   #18
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolenceFight
I actually don't think movement is bad. A lot of it can be attributed to the momentum system. A lot of people don't operate the L2/R2 correctly to get the result they want either.

It feels clunky compared to 15 because 15 had no momentum. This prevented some stuff from last year occuring (Stopping on a dime and spamming the other way).

If you know how it works, you can use it to your advantage.
For someone who hasn't spent a lot of time with 2K16 but is struggling with movement controls, do you have any quick tips?

One of my biggest issues has been defensive sliding. In real life, playing on-ball defense largely involves quick, choppy steps, allowing sudden direction change. Meanwhile, it seems all my defensive slide direction changes in '16 are borderline out of control and really drawn out, considering the circumstance.

It feels like the minute a ball handler begins to dribble to the left, forcing me to my left, I become three steps behind the minute he changes direction. As in, he goes left, I go left, he switches to right so I try to go back right, but it takes so long for my player to respond and get there that the player's already made another move in a new direction.

I've tried to feather the controls but I still end up feeling like I'm fighting the system the whole time. As someone whose 2K experience is mostly from last gen, the defensive responsiveness has felt way less natural in 2K16 so far.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:39 AM   #19
Pro

spoofrice11's Arena

OVR: 3

Create-a-Team outside of a mode that you can use whenever you start a MyLeague or other mode instead of having to re-create all of it if you start over. And then being able to use as many created teams as you want to replace current teams.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:57 AM   #20
MVP

ViolenceFight's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
For someone who hasn't spent a lot of time with 2K16 but is struggling with movement controls, do you have any quick tips?

One of my biggest issues has been defensive sliding. In real life, playing on-ball defense largely involves quick, choppy steps, allowing sudden direction change. Meanwhile, it seems all my defensive slide direction changes in '16 are borderline out of control and really drawn out, considering the circumstance.

It feels like the minute a ball handler begins to dribble to the left, forcing me to my left, I become three steps behind the minute he changes direction. As in, he goes left, I go left, he switches to right so I try to go back right, but it takes so long for my player to respond and get there that the player's already made another move in a new direction.

I've tried to feather the controls but I still end up feeling like I'm fighting the system the whole time. As someone whose 2K experience is mostly from last gen, the defensive responsiveness has felt way less natural in 2K16 so far.
It's hard to get used to. That's for sure. Feathering used to be the go to, and it still is slightly, but there's way more emphasis on the right stick this year. This year it helps to understand how movement is working as well.

A lot of people say it's sluggish, and at first glance it certainly feels that way. There's no denying that, and despite my previous post, I DO know why people feel that way.

It clicked for me when I was playing off ball offense one day. Everyone was complaining about how they took out the right stick off ball spins/cuts/fakes. I was in career, and started to notice that if I cut one way, and then tried the other direction it was slow as hell. But every once in awhile it looked and felt natural. So there's a disconnect somewhere. I found that letting off of turbo, as I was stopping to change direction sometimes resulted in a quick hop and an explosion in the new direction.

I applied that to defense. What I do is pretty simple. I just don't hold Turbo. Back in 14 we talked a lot about feathering the sticks and buttons. And the concept I found is similar but also different. I treat it like a car now. Turbo is Gas, IntenseD is the brakes.

So, I'm guarding a Cheeseball going left/right. I play off on 1 side usually to start. The first possession I'm looking for a stop, but it's fine if he beats me, the real goal is to see what they are doing so I can anticipate every possession following that.

The go left, I go left without holding any buttons. I'm usually a step behind. If they look like they are going to commit that way, jam turbo, hit intense D and tap the right stick that direction. Turbo closes the gap, the right stick makes you rake a defensive step in that direction, and intense D makes body contact. Sometimes it seems like the RS does nothing, but I've found that it seems like it helps me body them up even if there's no resulting animation. It could be a placebo.

So second scenario. They go left, same as above, follow a step behind with no buttons. They go to switch direction. Immediately I'm pushing the LS the other way, and tapping Turbo. This stops me and let's me continue following the other direction with out losing a step. Then it's a matter of just getting them to commit and stopping.

Why does this work/Why do I use the car analogy?

My brain started relating it to the car concept after getting a feel for momentum in the game. You're driving a car at 15 mph. You're going to make a turn, but don't want to disrupt traffic that much. You feather the brake a bit, but then coast and start the turn off the coasting. If you have the pedal to the floor, and try to change direction you can't make a sharp turn due to forward momentum/acceleration. It will make the car unstable, and in some cases flat out spin you out. Alternatively, if you jam the brakes and come to a complete stop, it'll take a second to take off once the car comes to a stop.

Laws of Physics: An object in motion wants to remain in motion, an object at rest wants to stay at rest.

So it's the same in 2k as in real life. If you're running full speed, and want to stop and go a completely different direction that's impossible to do instantly. In real life they teach the hop because if you hop slightly and use the natural spring qualities of your muscles upon landing than you can explode into a different direction in a much quicker fashion. That's the reason Tennis players use a "Split Step" on the court to instantly redirect themselves. It's vital in a super fast game like Tennis.

When I noticed that letting go of Turbo on offball offense, changing directions, and hitting turbo again gave me a hop, it clicked that the momentum system is slightly more advanced than it gets credit for.

Intense D will plant you. I suggest only jamming it to make contact, or to stop when you're going top speed. Even then, it'll take a second to full stop and get going again.

Everyone still tries to attack towards a baseline. Just like previous 2K games. If I get beat by a step it's fine, I just try to Kawhi them with a chasedown, or let the big take it and switch to his guy for help.

I suggest getting used to the system in mycareer. Experiment with running with turbo, and without. Experiment in changing directions with and without it. It's hard to explain a perfect answer, it's something you have to learn to feel on your own. Once you get it, your offball offense will also improve dramatically. You'll leave kids in the dust on cuts because the difference between a slight jog and full sprint isn't noticeable until you're already gone.

I hope this helps, and I'm sorry if the comes off as incoherent rambles. There's a lot to the system, but it's intangible as far as explaining exactly what to press at the exact time. Don't think, Feel

PSN: ViolenceFight
Instagram: @ViolenceFight
Old 03-28-2016, 12:21 PM   #21
Pro

BellSKA's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesh2k
The bit in bold just makes that problem even worse. Deadeye, Shot Creator, Ankle breaker, Posterizer, limitless range will be equipped on 95% of guards in the park. Even 2k14 allowed 7 badges.
Than limit it to 3. Like I said (3-5). They can either be a shooter, a ball handler, or distributor. The numbers can definitely be tooled. Even if it's 5, I wouldn't have Posterizer or Ankle Breaker. I'd exchange them with Microwave and Unfazed. My point is, there are so many varying combinations that could be made if the badge number is limited. Right now, I can have every single badge and be just like everyone else.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-28-2016, 01:14 PM   #22
MVP

ViolenceFight's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesh2k

But yet that was not the case in 14 or 13. Or maybe it was. My guard ran Catch and Shoot, Posterizer, Lockdown Defense, Pick Pocket and Finisher, my PF ran Tenacious Rebounder, Finisher, Posterizer, Highlight Reel and Lockdown Defense.

Ankle Breaker is not as effective as people think it is, especially against lockdown defense. They'll burn themselves using those 5 badges you listed.

PSN: ViolenceFight
Instagram: @ViolenceFight
Old 03-28-2016, 01:22 PM   #23
Pro

spoofrice11's Arena

Coach Mode -
I used it a lot and am not sure why it was taken out of NBA 2K. I would play games with other teams, but only part of a game and put it on coach mode to let them keep up what I was doing (helping stats and stuff). And I could do other things while they were playing.
Old 03-28-2016, 02:01 PM   #24
Rookie

silverskier's Arena

I'll have a top 7, so it would be extremely difficult to decide

Bumping animations: add more momentum in the movement of both offensive and defensive players, but get rid of bumping animation that doesn't allow to the offensive players to correct his direction or dribbling.

Help defense from the corner: make it less aggressive. Sometimes it isn't necessary in pnr but the man in the corner leaves his opponent alone

More contact and better positioning in pnr: make the screener more decisive, more present. I think that da_czar said that they were working in a new technology for the screener positioning

More contact between players: in the paint, while driving, while dunking, etc. Less sliding and bumping and more contact. I know it is difficult to implement it though

Make players smarter in lead passes: if the lead pass is going near the defensive player, make him intercept the ball.

Facing the ball: make the receptor of the pass to face the ball in order to perform a good reception. I know it's hard to implement this, we are playing a videogame, but maybe making this a slider would increment the realism

Better path finding in plays: so hard to implement it, but the improvement of this would be great

Enviado desde mi iPhone con Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »