Home

How to remove incidents of "rubber-banding" with the effects of timeouts

This is a discussion on How to remove incidents of "rubber-banding" with the effects of timeouts within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-03-2016, 01:29 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: How to remove incidents of "rubber-banding" with the effects of timeouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Moe
What's the point of this? This is good stuff man. Why the snark? Damn!
I'm not being 'snarky,' I'm dead serious. It's crazy to me that, after so many years, people need an actual tutorial in order to know how to use timeouts to cut momentum/rubber-banding.
Old 04-03-2016, 02:50 PM   #10
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caelumfang
I'm not being 'snarky,' I'm dead serious. It's crazy to me that, after so many years, people need an actual tutorial in order to know how to use timeouts to cut momentum/rubber-banding.
It's just the testament how over years 2K community became 'wider', anyone now plays 2K. I can't imagine back then (2k7,8,9,10) someone actually didn't know how to stop runs, or how to utilize time-outs.

2K was primarily sim based basketball with small but basketball wise audience, anyone who wanted to stepback treys over 2 people or dunk over whole squad played Live. I remember when i first bought 2K9 at gamestop and one guy asked me 'what you bought', i said 2K9 and showed him the boxcase. He chuckled and said 'oh i know this is the hard one, where it's so hard to score'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkHI1hGvWRY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v6JUzxWoGw
Old 04-03-2016, 04:04 PM   #11
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caelumfang
This will be the last I speak on it as to not derail Sam's thread. But I already knew about using timeouts to cut momentum. That's nothing new. It is literally the first thing mentioned when the topic of "rubberbanding" or "comeback AI" comes up. Now, however, I understand a little better the mechanics behind it. I usually experienced the "rubberbanding" late in the 3rd or 4th quarters. A point in time when I thought fatigue was fine and that the game was cheating. Well now I see that it might be because my players, while not dog tired, are not as fresh as the CPU team and that's why they're going on a run. Also, it's something to keep in mind even when I am winning so as to not put myself in that position of getting run on. Keep my players fresh. It's just another wrinkle. Now I can plan more appropriately and not be so frustrated with the game. That's what it's about.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-04-2016, 02:06 AM   #12
Banned

2k9 haha oh god.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-04-2016, 04:09 AM   #13
Pro

ChiliPalmer's Arena

Idk if "rubber-banding" is the right title here. Rubberbanding means something completely different, ie a comeback logic/code/mechanic that keeps games close.
Also, a 13:50 tutorial to explain that ratings go down if stamina is below 80?
Reward DUNCAN
Diamond PORZINGOD

Bench: THE BIG O-GOONRICH-FlyersIGGY-GRANDMA-Ammy GERMINATOR
Old 04-04-2016, 09:41 AM   #14
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbin
2k9 haha oh god.

I wish I didn't know what 2k9 was either, lol

Also, as much as this topic pops up here and many are quick claim everything is out of their control....it's good info

Last edited by The 24th Letter; 04-04-2016 at 09:47 AM.
Old 04-05-2016, 02:42 AM   #15
Banned

Actually in this game the less you play defense and hide the better off you are. Great design of a game

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-05-2016, 02:54 AM   #16
Banned

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy59
If your opponent doesn't know how to utilize time-outs to keep their stars stamina on check, he probably isn't that good to begin with. If you end up playing vs someone extremely good and you have no practice with time-outs, you're going to have a hard time, with or without the bench.

I've played people in Greatest of All Time who do not use their bench at all, I use mostly Tier 2 and Tier 3 teams and have gone against several high end players who have played Jordan, KD or LeBron the entire game with virtually no drop off in their play. I know exactly what he means when he says he doesn't want to call a timeout going against those guys, you constantly have to rotate in your players but in the end no amount of stamina hit is going to drop Jordan down to the level of Seth Curry or Ben McLemore so they don't bother using their bench and you're out of luck when someone does that if they also know how to play.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »