Home

NBA 2K17 Legend Edition Featuring Kobe Bryant Announced

This is a discussion on NBA 2K17 Legend Edition Featuring Kobe Bryant Announced within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-15-2016, 03:52 PM   #73
The Designated Hitter

BA2929's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: NBA 2K17 Legend Edition Featuring Kobe Bryant Announced

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinsanityLives
Wasn't aware you could cancel pre orders whenever. Good to know.

I get it's obvious marketing, but when the game becomes more about marketing then the actual game itself is what worries me. All the game modes, features, all come down to they are easy to market, better than the actual play of the game itself.

They focus more on marketing tactics than anything else. Back in the day, like 2k-2k11 they spent all the time on the actual gameplay and fluidity of the game.

Once the game exploded around 2k11, they've had a crutch. 2k12/2k13 they had the success of Jordan & 2k11 gameplay to milk. 2k14 they had next gen graphics. 2k15 they had the next gen graphics to milk & a shot meter for the mass of kids then 2k16 they clearly were running dry so tried ANOTHER Jordan edition. Now they can breath again because they have Kobe finale and Warriors 73 wins (after a bs win in Memphis mind you) to milk.

Before this they were constantly changing the game every year and they need to do that to reach a new peak on next gen like 2k11 old gen before they keep recycling like they are now.

While I agree with a lot of your points, the fact is that marketing and development are two different things and two different departments. Doing one great doesn't mean they're slacking off in another.

But yea, I'd love to see some cool new additions next year. I didn't pre-order yet as I'm like you and want to see what they have to offer before I dive in, but I have no problem with others doing so. I know I pre-ordered Star Wars: Battlefront like waaaaay too early lol
Old 04-16-2016, 12:22 AM   #74
NBA 2K Gameplay Producer, Offensive AI System - SIM NATION

Da_Czar's Arena

OVR: 61
NBA 2K17 Legend Edition Featuring Kobe Bryant Announced

Quote:

I get it's obvious marketing, but when the game becomes more about marketing then the actual game itself is what worries me. All the game modes, features, all come down to they are easy to market, better than the actual play of the game itself.

They focus more on marketing tactics than anything else. Back in the day, like 2k-2k11 they spent all the time on the actual gameplay and fluidity of the game.

Once the game exploded around 2k11, they've had a crutch. 2k12/2k13 they had the success of Jordan & 2k11 gameplay to milk. 2k14 they had next gen graphics. 2k15 they had the next gen graphics to milk & a shot meter for the mass of kids then 2k16 they clearly were running dry so tried ANOTHER Jordan edition. Now they can breath again because they have Kobe finale and Warriors 73 wins (after a bs win in Memphis mind you) to milk.

Before this they were constantly changing the game every year and they need to do that to reach a new peak on next gen like 2k11 old gen before they keep recycling like they are now.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

AS has been said on many occassion in this very forum. Gameplay team ONLY works on gameplay ALL YEAR LONG. does not matter what marketing does because marketing is it's own department.

Nobody comes down to my office and says Czar stop working on that I can't market it give me something to market. LOL. But... carryon sirs.

In fact how much gameplay info do you actually hear from marketing ? I believe most of the info you get if found on blogs or dev insights or dev posts made here of all places or on my own youtube channel right ?

There is not a whole lot sexy about gameplay that is even marketable to casuals IMO.

I don't know why people feel like voluntary pre-orders which all games do have anything to do with the quality or lack there-of of the game especially gameplay. I should know better than to even respond but my fingers just couldn't pass it by. LOL!
Catch me on that #SimNation #SimHangOut Friday's @ 10:00 pm est https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...N7yxMiElOpMl_B

Last edited by Da_Czar; 04-16-2016 at 12:24 AM.
Old 04-16-2016, 01:41 AM   #75
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
AS has been said on many occassion in this very forum. Gameplay team ONLY works on gameplay ALL YEAR LONG. does not matter what marketing does because marketing is it's own department.

Nobody comes down to my office and says Czar stop working on that I can't market it give me something to market. LOL. But... carryon sirs.

In fact how much gameplay info do you actually hear from marketing ? I believe most of the info you get if found on blogs or dev insights or dev posts made here of all places or on my own youtube channel right ?

There is not a whole lot sexy about gameplay that is even marketable to casuals IMO.

I don't know why people feel like voluntary pre-orders which all games do have anything to do with the quality or lack there-of of the game especially gameplay. I should know better than to even respond but my fingers just couldn't pass it by. LOL!
Then they should possibly hire a new 'team' for gameplay if this is all they are able to accomplish in the span of each year. A year is a LONG time if you are actually working the entirety.

My honest opinion, it isn't even the gameplay designers - they pump out some great ideas and movements, it's that they need someone with a better eye for detail to catch all the simple idiocies that ruin the gameplay first and foremost. It feels that they don't even test there own game fully. They could have a real NBA fan/real gamer sit and test it out religiously throughout the process and have a lot more success than having to drop patches that fix bits & pieces of it.

I'm not an expert in game design, but I can clearly see the improvement from 2k10 to 2k11 vs the lack of improvement each year since then gameplay wise.

I understand marketing and gameplay are seperate departments. It's like how a studio edits & releases trailers for a movie, not the directors. But, the point is, this game is making it's $$ off all the hype and marketing now, and it's resulting in lazy gameplay development simply because, they can get away with it easily now.

Also not sure why you laugh at your own jokes/posts?

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-16-2016, 06:24 AM   #76
Vni
Hall Of Fame

Vni's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Then they should possibly hire a new 'team' for gameplay if this is all they are able to accomplish in the span of each year. A year is a LONG time if you are actually working the entirety.

My honest opinion, it isn't even the gameplay designers - they pump out some great ideas and movements, it's that they need someone with a better eye for detail to catch all the simple idiocies that ruin the gameplay first and foremost. It feels that they don't even test there own game fully. They could have a real NBA fan/real gamer sit and test it out religiously throughout the process and have a lot more success than having to drop patches that fix bits & pieces of it.

I'm not an expert in game design, but I can clearly see the improvement from 2k10 to 2k11 vs the lack of improvement each year since then gameplay wise.

I understand marketing and gameplay are seperate departments. It's like how a studio edits & releases trailers for a movie, not the directors. But, the point is, this game is making it's $$ off all the hype and marketing now, and it's resulting in lazy gameplay development simply because, they can get away with it easily now.

The ignorance in this post is strong.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:45 AM   #77
New Ork Giants

Goffs's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vni
The ignorance in this post is strong.
It was way too much salt for me this morning lol figured someone else should reply.
Old 04-16-2016, 07:49 AM   #78
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Shame on 2k man...offering an optional pre order was unheard of in the gaming industry before they started this crap.

Greed man, I remember the day where company's operated on love and happiness not money. I could go to game stop, say "simulation" and they would hand me a copy of 2k for free....now I have to pay 59.99

Ridiculous #jumpedtheshark
Old 04-16-2016, 08:20 AM   #79
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
2k has really started to 'sell out'. Always milking everything now. A pre order in April? .. We haven't even seen gameplay or anything. Man oh man do they need good old fashioned competition again.

I like the Kobe cover though.

Quote:

Quote:

Depending where you are, a pre-order is very necessary. I remember when I was younger, pre-ordering Madden was a must because it'd be sold out on release day. I also remember when you pre-ordered and all you got was the game you paid for. I'll happily take the add-ons and bonuses for "free". I don't understand your complaint of how offering pre-order is some type of sellout.

I also don't feel this is the thread to go on about your issues with gameplay. There are plenty of impression and wishlist threads for that. Let's not derail this thread any further.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Old 04-16-2016, 01:45 PM   #80
MVP

MontanaMan's Arena

OVR: 0

All I kmow is they better be hard at work scanning every Kobe sneaker.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »