Home

MyGM & MyLeague - Playbooks make zero difference :(

This is a discussion on MyGM & MyLeague - Playbooks make zero difference :( within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-30-2016, 08:39 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
MyGM & MyLeague - Playbooks make zero difference :(

Just did a test where I removed all plays from the playbook and added ONLY 3PT plays. Then set the coach "Run Plays" slider to 100. I even set the offensive option to "Get shooters open" and removed all the plays from the individual players, adding only 3PT plays for every player.

Zero difference. Zero. In fact, I was consistently shooting less 3 pointers than the other teams.

I tried it in Sim, SimCast, SimCast Live and even a live game.

So my question is, if changing the playbooks and the plays assigned to various players makes zero difference, why include it? I suppose it's only for when you are actually playing the game and calling the plays yourself as you play.

It's a bit disappointing. The game looks so deep on the surface, but if you dig a little bit a lot of it is just a facade.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2016, 09:34 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: MyGM & MyLeague - Playbooks make zero difference :(

Bravo for running this experiment!

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

Twitter: @PopcornJones77
Old 05-01-2016, 04:23 AM   #3
Rookie

Ha!

Well I built up a team that I wanted to be based around my big men. So I set a lot of plays for them in the playbook and less plays for players who I didn't intend to be scorers.

It didn't seem to make any difference, and it raised an eyebrow. That's why I ran the experiment.

It's a bit annoying really. Sucks the fun out of the game a bit. I don't feel like playing it anymore. What's the point of building a team with a certain play-style and strategy in mind if they won't play that style?

I suppose when the computer sims the matches it just compares the ratings of the different players and then randomly generates some game stats for them based on that.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:49 AM   #4
Hall Of Fame

vtcrb's Arena

OVR: 40

Did you also edit all player tendencies and tweak sliders? You can edit Play books all day long but if you haven't made other edits the play books don't make much difference. I only test on CPU vs CPU and play book edits do work if you have also made a full Roster and Slider edit.

I am only making this post because I don't want people to think play books make no difference, not here to debate as I can confirm they do work when everything is implemented.

Twitter: @VTCRBTEC

Youtube Channel:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKL...1uva35l4zFEofg

Roster Editing for Over a Decade
Old 05-01-2016, 09:38 AM   #5
Rookie

What do you mean, "tweak sliders"? Which sliders?

You shouldn't have to edit the actual player.

If you're running plays all the time or close to all the time (set to 100), and you only have 3PT plays in your playbook, then your team should have a ridiculous 3PA stat (whether that's a good or a bad thing).

Changing the player tendencies is sort of "cheating". It should be done through coaching, not editing.

No, I haven't done it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-01-2016, 08:09 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

vtcrb's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaineight
What do you mean, "tweak sliders"? Which sliders?

You shouldn't have to edit the actual player.

If you're running plays all the time or close to all the time (set to 100), and you only have 3PT plays in your playbook, then your team should have a ridiculous 3PA stat (whether that's a good or a bad thing).

Changing the player tendencies is sort of "cheating". It should be done through coaching, not editing.

No, I haven't done it.
Changing player tendencies is Not cheating If the player tendencies are incorrect. I am guessing you must play with 2K stock rosters. I would recommend when suggesting things don't work to also post which Roster set you tested on and which slider set you are using as well. Those can have a Huge bearing on the results you see.

Also remember player touches and the areas they shoot from are in player tendencies. So you could assign a play All the Midrange plays in the play book but if his mid range shot tendency and player touches are low he will not get many touches.

Last edited by vtcrb; 05-01-2016 at 08:11 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:33 AM   #7
Rookie

That is still broken, even if what you are saying did actually work.

How much a player touches the ball, and where he shoots from, those things should be 100% dependent on the coach's game plan and play book.

Player tendencies should only matter if no play is currently being run, or if the play broke down.

Regardless, it's not like changing the playbook makes a little difference. It made no difference. Zero. I was still even winning games with a ridiculous play book, and the box-stats were totally inconsistent with my play book and game plan.

If you "fix" that by altering player tendencies, then you're getting the result you want by editing the players, not the playbook. So the playbooks are still useless.

Really, if you set the "run plays slider" to 100, and you assign one play to one player, in theory your team should just be running that one play to that one player over and over again. Of course this is not an ideal situation. You should get totally destroyed doing that. But still, the fact that you can't do it proves that the playbook and the coaching sliders do nothing in MyCAREER and MyGM. At least they do nothing in simulated, simcast or simcast LIVE games. I haven't tried it playing it a whole game on the court myself (which isn't really a realistic option in MyGM).
Old 05-02-2016, 08:50 AM   #8
Hall Of Fame

vtcrb's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaineight
That is still broken, even if what you are saying did actually work.

How much a player touches the ball, and where he shoots from, those things should be 100% dependent on the coach's game plan and play book.

Player tendencies should only matter if no play is currently being run, or if the play broke down.

Regardless, it's not like changing the playbook makes a little difference. It made no difference. Zero. I was still even winning games with a ridiculous play book, and the box-stats were totally inconsistent with my play book and game plan.

If you "fix" that by altering player tendencies, then you're getting the result you want by editing the players, not the playbook. So the playbooks are still useless.

Really, if you set the "run plays slider" to 100, and you assign one play to one player, in theory your team should just be running that one play to that one player over and over again. Of course this is not an ideal situation. You should get totally destroyed doing that. But still, the fact that you can't do it proves that the playbook and the coaching sliders do nothing in MyCAREER and MyGM. At least they do nothing in simulated, simcast or simcast LIVE games. I haven't tried it playing it a whole game on the court myself (which isn't really a realistic option in MyGM).
I do all of my Testing on CPU vs CPU, I would suggest you look at it from that angle. You seem to be getting all your results from plays as the USER. There are 1,000s of guys who could tell you what a difference Playbooks can make IF Used/Implemented Properly.

Sorry you cant find what your desired results. Maybe 2k17 will work better for you.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »