Home

Meta MyPlayer Creation Guide [OC]

This is a discussion on Meta MyPlayer Creation Guide [OC] within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-07-2016, 11:55 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
Meta MyPlayer Creation Guide [OC]

I. Introduction
II. Player Meta-Builds. What to do if you don't have one.

I. Introduction

• I'm writing this guide as a rather successful Pro-AM/Park (3's and 4's not 2's) player (win % ~90) in order to help integrate those who love 2K, but aren't a part of the game's Meta in Park and Pro-AM.

• It is very easy to recognize when decent players who are good with basketball knowledge but lack the proper MyPlayer to be truly effective.

• In this guide I will cover very basic principles and rules that govern 2K MyPlayers online in Park and Pro-Am.

Disclaimer: I understand that this guide may not be of greatest use here, specifically on OS, just know the audience I'm mostly writing this towards are underskilled players, players from the reddit and elsewhere. If content like this is allowed and appriciated, I can continue this and add rules for offense and defense.

II. Meta Builds: What are they? Why don't I have one?

Meta-Builds refer to the most optimal player builds that you can have for your MyPlayer in order to be competitive in 2K. Because 2K changes essential game mechanics so deep into the game cycle, these meta-builds change and it can get expensive, tedious and time-consuming if you try to keep up.
  • All of these builds assume that you will receive all 100 upgrades and become a 99 overall. Also, it is assumed that you get every badge that can improve your player's ability.

• In this section, I will explain what each of the best builds are for your My-Player and what you can do if you don't have a player like this.

Point Guard:
  • Point Guards, fortunately, have lots of versatility in the meta and despite the fact that there are still a few rules to follow, many PG builds are still viable at top levels of play.

• With Patch 6, and the removal of being able to explosively dribble around defenders, there is no advantage to being shorter. The best PG is 6'7 (6'5 and 6'6 work too) and you get diminishing returns for shorter PG's.

6'7 Inside PG:
  • This is a fun, Pro-Am Viable, Lebron like player. You're able to finish heavily in traffic and Contact Dunks galore. Also, Post Spins around shorter defenders will be quite effective. If you are smart with the angles you attack the rim at, you can be rather effective.

• Attribute Distribution: 20 Shooting, 20 Inside, 20 Athlete, 20 Playmaking, 20 Defense.

6'7 Balanced PG:
  • Balanced PG's can shoot just as well as Outside PG's when left wide open. They receive the same greens for wide-open shots. These players receive generous ratings for finishing inside, capable of finishing and dunking in contact.

• Attribute Distribution: 20 Shooting, 20 Inside, 20 Athlete, 20 Playmaking, 20 Defense.

6'7 Outside PG:
  • The best shooting player in the meta, the 6'7 outside PG is capable of hitting shots, greens and lightly contested shots at a high rate. With maxed inside, the outside PG is capable of hitting regularly in light traffic.

Small Forward

The Small Forward can provide a very niche, yet effective support player within a team. Often the 3rd option or 5th option (in park/pro-am respectively) in the offense, the small forward can provide great defensive and rebounding value from the 3 spot for pro-am or the park.

Outside SF:

Imagine Kawahi Leonard defense mixed with Kyle Korver shooting mixed with Dennis Rodman rebounding. This is the ultimate support player for the meta. Can guard 1-5.

• Ideal height for the SF is between 6'8 and 6'10. This is preference. 6'10 will have a little trouble against guards in iso situations whereas the 6'8 will have a little trouble against centers rebounding.

• On Offense, the player is typically just going to stick around the 3pt line. Catch and Shoot is all the SF is limited to on offense.

• On defense, the 6'9 SF is optimal for guarding all 5 positions. Capable of switching, helping, doubling, gambling in the passing lanes etc. all with the speed to get back to close out.

• Attribute Distribution: 20 Shooting, 0 Inside, 20 Athlete, 20 Playmaking, 20 Rebounding, 20 Defense.

Balanced and Inside SF's

No.

These is no value to these players. The balanced ratings are much too poor to be effective as either an inside or outside threat. The lack of ball control means you will have permanent butterfingers and will be stripped with ease. The inability to dribble will limit your offense. These players are wholly ineffective against top players.

Shooting Guard

Joke: The SG told the PG, I'm better than you. The PG responded: -lyrically- "Anything you can do I can do better. I CAN DO ANYTHING BETTER THAN YOU."
The SG is disappointing in the meta. In no situation are you better off for running a SG than a PG.

• The shooting is the same, the defense while slightly better is probably statistically insignificant.

• The biggest drawback however, is the lowered ball control. Without the ability to dribble the ball effectively ball you are relegated to being stripped more often than PG's and Korver status. Run around until you get open. That is the only way you will score effectively against competent defenders.

Power Forward

Joke: The PF tried to tell a joke to the Center. The center told the PF to shut up and go sit in the corner. I don't like the fact that I have to babysit for you.

The PF position in this game is absolutely meaningless. In all circumstances, you are better off running the SF or C.

Center

Centers are must-haves for the Pro-Am. 7'3 Centers are the only viable option. Any attempts by smaller players to exploit the lack of speed of a 7'3 Center at either the PF or C position can be easily overcome with the most basic of zone defenses with no penalty.

The nerf to break starter hurts, and I still need more testing to determine what changes were made. If indeed the change to sucess was global, and not circumstanital it might be worth going without. But I just don't know yet.

Centers for the park are different. While they are effective, the 6'9 SF is much more versatile and optimal for the park.

Balanced Center

Again. Just no.

Balanced centers have poor shooting ratings. If you want to shoot with a center, choose outside. The inability to green any post shot with a Balanced Center makes their inside game pretty useless as well. Not effective enough for the meta.

Outside Center
This player is optimal for the 4 slot in Pro-Am and second to the only the Outside SF for the 3 position in the park.

• Lacking the need to put points into inside to dunk the ball effectively allows these players to really shine. Forcing a 55-speed center to guard a turboring center that can also shoot is deadly.

• These players can shoot effectively from mid-range and 3pt. You should be able to green from the corners with ease. From the outside with a ring.

• Attribute Distribution: Outside 20, Inside 8, Playmaking 12, Athlete 20, Rebounding 20, Defense 20.

The Big Secret: What to do if you do not have a Meta Player.

The players listed above are optimal. But that doesn't mean you can't get the most out of the MyPlayer you already have.

If you do not have a point guard, look below.

The best advice for attempting to use these players at the highest level, particularly after patch 6 is iso crossover signature style Crossover 11.

This crossover will single handily allow you to actually control the ball, and gain speed by doing so. If your ball control is lower than 80, it will be very difficult to do much when it comes to having the ball. This crossover changes that.

Below you will see a 7'2 Felicio dribbling with 55 ball control.

You can control the ball, gain speed and you are capable of fooling lower skilled defenders despite your low ball control attribute:

Again, if this is liked on here and allowed, I could continue with information about the game mechanics that cover scoring and defending. Just let me know.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-08-2016, 12:41 AM   #2
Elite Allstar

Ray Vibes's Arena

Re: Meta MyPlayer Creation Guide [OC]

Good stuff right here bro. But hey, I love my PF. And thanks again for crossover 11. It works wonders lol.
Old 05-08-2016, 12:53 AM   #3
Rookie

twebb5896's Arena

This is what's wrong with 2k. Pretty much every player I see is one of the "Meta " players you described here. It makes everyone ply the same because someone said this is the best player to make.

-We need PLAYSTYLES back so that people have specialties and things that separate them from everyone else.

-Give people certain unlock-able animations based on their ratings (ex. no Kyrie sizeup without 80 ball control) but balance it (No Uber athletic dunks without 80 driving dunk)

-Have Strength 1, 2 and 3 so people won't complain about only being able to do one thing.
1. Best Ability (90-99)
2. Good Ability (85-89)
3. Solid Ability (75-84)
4. Everything else (74 and below)

-Everything Physical would vary with height and weight, I don't think shooting should drop because you're taller but physical attributes should (Speed, Vertical, Acceleration) If you want to be tall and fast choose athletic as your playstyle.

-I know YouTubers and stuff would still make videos about "The Best Player" but there would be a lot more depth to creating the perfect player to fit how you play.

-I'm sick and tired of seeing clones at the Park and Pro-Am.

-This wasn't in any way an attack on you OP.
Old 05-08-2016, 02:57 AM   #4
Rookie

Hornetz's Arena

OVR: 7

Interesting note, at the beginning the OP states the purpose to help others, including those from other sites and requests it not be moved.
At the end he is promoting certain moves such as a crossovers repeatedly up the court? (I know we've all seen everyone doing this during the NBA playoffs right!?? right??? no.)

Also, throughout the post he is promoting [certain] play styles and not actually creating others or noting their effectiveness. Also, I disagree with the opinion of uselessness on balanced SF. I totally disagree as my 99 OVR Balanced SF is like.. you know, LeBron James.

Good luck to all as I believe, the OP is a former cheeser & exploiter of certain moves and not actually skilled in the fundamentals of basketball or how to teach them!
MY BEST ADVICE IS DO NOT FOLLOW THIS GUIDE. LEARN MOVES. CHOOSE HEIGHT, WEIGHT, ETC. ON PREFERENCES. BE THE BEST.

Keep in mind:
Spoiler
Old 05-08-2016, 04:18 AM   #5
All-Pro

ATLBrayden's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornetz
Interesting note, at the beginning the OP states the purpose to help others, including those from other sites and requests it not be moved.
At the end he is promoting certain moves such as a crossovers repeatedly up the court? (I know we've all seen everyone doing this during the NBA playoffs right!?? right??? no.)

Also, throughout the post he is promoting [certain] play styles and not actually creating others or noting their effectiveness. Also, I disagree with the opinion of uselessness on balanced SF. I totally disagree as my 99 OVR Balanced SF is like.. you know, LeBron James.

Good luck to all as I believe, the OP is a former cheeser & exploiter of certain moves and not actually skilled in the fundamentals of basketball or how to teach them!
MY BEST ADVICE IS DO NOT FOLLOW THIS GUIDE. LEARN MOVES. CHOOSE HEIGHT, WEIGHT, ETC. ON PREFERENCES. BE THE BEST.

Keep in mind:
Spoiler
When 2K actually starts to have realistic ball and different player styles your post will hold some weight, but you're fooling yourself if you think the builds in the OP aren't some of the best in the game. Sure you may have fun and do well with your balanced SF, but they are statistically inferior in a lot of ways. You can say your SF is like LeBron James, but he also has 16 less speed than LeBron and around the same drop in ball control/passing.

The OP isn't saying to just spam crossover 11 up the court, but that crossover 11 is a good crossover to have because it's quick, safe, and useful.

You notice how players in the stage, park, pro-am, whatever have the same style of players? That's because those are the best players to use in the game. Until 2K actually lets players customize their style it will remain this way, just like how in 2K15 the best position was the 7 foot Small Forward.

The OP isn't trying to teach you how to be good at real life basketball and every fundamental, the OP is trying to help you excel in 2K and he's doing a good job of it.

~~

Also, OP, every balanced player doesn't get the same green on wide open shots as an outside player. My 6'4 balanced PG could not green release from 3 due to his 80 3pt shot, however my 6' outside PG can green from pretty far out. If you're talking about players of the same height you may be right, not sure as I haven't tried it, but based on the rest of the post you're probably correct.

Some info of my own if you want to add it:
Spoiler

My NBA 2K19 Lakers Dynasty -https://forums.operationsports.com/f...-nba-2k19.html

PSN: GetYourSwooshOn
XBL: Gunslinger7O2
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-08-2016, 04:34 AM   #6
Pro

Vroman's Arena

Playing my, non meta way, since day one and I've beat plenty enough squads with everybody spamming the popular crap . Most of them don't even bother to find out different moves and tactics that would work for them and just do exact same stuff that some youtuber tells.

Can't compare to 2k15 where defense didin't exist in park.

This guide is comprehensive and well made, but i think you could add more viable builds and signature moves to it for sure.

Last edited by Vroman; 05-08-2016 at 04:48 AM.
Old 05-09-2016, 01:30 AM   #7
Banned

That's a big thing I didn't personally go into. Point Guards have their own unique meta with lots of different interesting options to attack a defense.

They don't need and shouldn't use crossover 11.

This game acts like no other player besides the PG should have the ball in their hands for any length of time.

But, for top players

-the actual best players in 2k not these clowns who mostly cheated and beat people who are bad to get into RTTF finals-

running anything other than a simple combination of the meta players is a severe disadvantage.
Old 05-09-2016, 01:32 AM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornetz
Keep in mind:
Spoiler
Go ahead. Use these players and let me know how you do.

With patch 6 and the inability to gain space with speed go use these players. you're just asking to be blocked. You mid-ranges are going to be yellow on the line. It's just not going to be effective.

I sincerely hope that the hesitation that crossovers provide now is enough room and space to get open. And that it is truly enough to green those shots.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »