Home

What Exactly makes it where a player just walks off their man?

This is a discussion on What Exactly makes it where a player just walks off their man? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-19-2016, 05:26 AM   #17
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: What Exactly makes it where a player just walks off their man?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Bruce Wayne
This happens all the time in the real NBA. Watch any highlights from last season and you will see this alot. It is annoying but seems to be inevitable in basketball.
The problem, is that when you play the cpu in career mode on HoF, those 3pt shots go in at around 90%, so it's just ridiculous that this continually happens every possession.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:21 AM   #18
MVP

Black Bruce Wayne's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesh2k
The problem, is that when you play the cpu in career mode on HoF, those 3pt shots go in at around 90%, so it's just ridiculous that this continually happens every possession.
I agree. I've learned that the best way to stop this is too play on-ball defense around the perimeter when you have too, especially on fast breaks to stop the pull up 3s.

It like the NBA Finals when the Cavs left Barnes open all the time. Luckily for them he missed lol
Old 07-19-2016, 12:37 PM   #19
MVP

Also for everyone, you have to manually be active in stopping Off-Ball screens for shooters. Yes, you can set the defensive setting however you want to stop this, but if you sit back and rely on only the settings to help you, then you will get burnt.

You have to catch players coming off , off ball screens yourself to stop shooters. This is what Cleveland did to Golden State in the Finals. It was a group effort to prevent their best shooters from getting wild open shots.

However, there are still going to be open guys. You' cant cover everyone. You have to decide what guys you are ok with being open, and usually its the guy who can't shoot (Harrison Barnes for example)

This is not a bug and not something 2k Needs to fix. This is more of a matter of people not letting the CPU play defense for you, and you the user actually getting involved.
Old 07-19-2016, 12:55 PM   #20
Banned

Quote:
I agree. I've learned that the best way to stop this is too play on-ball defense around the perimeter when you have too, especially on fast breaks to stop the pull up 3s.

It like the NBA Finals when the Cavs left Barnes open all the time. Luckily for them he missed lol
I don't see it much on fast breaks, more in half court. An example that happened earlier on my centre warriors career.?i was guarding Noah near the rim, but he didn't have tha ball. Klay decides he wants to guard Noah too so wanders off butler on the perimeter to come and stand next to us. Of course, the ball is passed to butler who now is wide open. The game tells me I have to go and guard butler, but he's already taken the open 3. This can't be a feature because it's just terrible gameplay, and is in no way how the finals were played. I'm used to playing HoF so I'm aware of the firefighting required in the game, but this is completely different and is inexcusable.
Old 07-19-2016, 01:11 PM   #21
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollooff320
players still come off regarless of using that setting. I notice it happens in PNR near the corners so I hurry and switch the person I know is about to come off their player. Only problem is your teammates that are involved in the PNR end up doing something stupid.
What I do is rotate with the original ball handler defender. Most of the time.

Something a long the lines like this. Especially if my opponent doesn't even drive into the paint with the intentions of scoring.

Last edited by jeebs9; 07-19-2016 at 01:17 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-19-2016, 02:40 PM   #22
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesh2k
I don't see it much on fast breaks, more in half court. An example that happened earlier on my centre warriors career.?i was guarding Noah near the rim, but he didn't have tha ball. Klay decides he wants to guard Noah too so wanders off butler on the perimeter to come and stand next to us. Of course, the ball is passed to butler who now is wide open. The game tells me I have to go and guard butler, but he's already taken the open 3. This can't be a feature because it's just terrible gameplay, and is in no way how the finals were played. I'm used to playing HoF so I'm aware of the firefighting required in the game, but this is completely different and is inexcusable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hp7NfhmGfA

Watch this video, sorry I still don't know how to embed Youtube because OS is stuck in the year 2000 with the forum design. Anyway, look at how many players are left open at the 3 point line.

If this was a game you were playing in 2K, all of that would have made you upset, but as you can see, this happens in the NBA and it happens all the time. There is no reality were every player is continuously locked down and never free for a a open shot. The bottom line is that you have to play better defense, manually. The CPU is not going to hold your hand and nor should it. The easy way out is to blame the gameplay. You have to have a defensive gameplan. You have to decide which guys you don't want left open. Just know that some guys are going to get open. Its going to happen. The game is supposed to be realistic and realistically, real NBA players get open. Like I said, you have to pay attention to off ball screens and jump in to stop the player from getting the pass. Its a give and take, meaning even when you stop that, something else will open up.

Last edited by Black Bruce Wayne; 07-19-2016 at 02:41 PM. Reason: grammar errors
Old 07-19-2016, 07:38 PM   #23
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
There is no reality were every player is continuously locked down and never free for a a open shot. The bottom line is that you have to play better defense, manually. The CPU is not going to hold your hand and nor should it.
To put it simply: there is good help defense and then there is the bad. 2K showcases a lot of the bad nuances of help defense.

4:15 in the video you shared is a good understandable attempt to play defense showcased by Bron. Bron is on Barbosa who is fading to the corner. Bron sees Klay cutting to the net clean and anticipates the pass. Bron decides to stay and protect the rim considering he is in the best position out of 5 to play this role. Bron stops the easy play at the rim and avoids a foul. Klay makes the pass to Barbosa which while open is tougher to make than a clear path to the rim.

Now compare that good to the bad that was showcased by the other fellow in our thread (previous page) and we see how 2k has got us skating on a frozen lake. The help defense in 2k is overdone, over reactive and flat out most of the time the logic is a deterrent to helpfulness.

The rotations in 2k make the defense way to volatile and it's essentially an unforced defensive breakdown.

If LeBron was already in the corner and the ball was in the other corner and he decided to leave his corner to go double team the other corner: this would be an example of terrible help defense logic and this is moreso what we see complained about on 2k.

If the ball is at the top and I'm in the corner. I see the defender at top is playing fine but I have an aberration and decide to leave my corner to camp the paint with no threat even present or I decide to double the top again with no threat in mind.

The game is behaving in such a way that defenders are programed to double team automatically. A code is there for x and y to always double team Z regardless of Z being in corner, top or post.. regardless of Z losing his dribble or driving to the basket.

These aberrations are like watching a national soccer player decide to play soccer with his hands.. knowing a hand ball is a violation and will cost you a penalty. The players in 2k know there is a 3s rule.. yet they camp the paint like the rule doesn't exist. It's like they send the whole team bus in there. Then you have the defensive help logic that shows no understanding for contextual help and how close you should be to be considered a help defender and what your prowess is a defender.

Why should a player (for example) like Tony Parker leave the corner 3 to camp the paint? It just doesn't make sense when you already have your bigs doing that job.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
Old 07-20-2016, 05:14 AM   #24
Banned

Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hp7NfhmGfA

Watch this video, sorry I still don't know how to embed Youtube because OS is stuck in the year 2000 with the forum design. Anyway, look at how many players are left open at the 3 point line.

If this was a game you were playing in 2K, all of that would have made you upset, but as you can see, this happens in the NBA and it happens all the time. There is no reality were every player is continuously locked down and never free for a a open shot. The bottom line is that you have to play better defense, manually. The CPU is not going to hold your hand and nor should it. The easy way out is to blame the gameplay. You have to have a defensive gameplan. You have to decide which guys you don't want left open. Just know that some guys are going to get open. Its going to happen. The game is supposed to be realistic and realistically, real NBA players get open. Like I said, you have to pay attention to off ball screens and jump in to stop the player from getting the pass. Its a give and take, meaning even when you stop that, something else will open up.
Firstly, when playing a yt video, click on the "embed" tab and copy that link, then just paste the whole thing into your post and that will embed the vid in OS.

You actually make a lot of assumptions about how I play the game and what makes me mad etc. I've posted quite a lot of stats, vids etc in the career thread. I think I do OK to be honest, and I think you're pretty wide of the mark.

The example I gave is inexplicable. The ball is on the left side of the court (2k cam) with Rose (where the corner 3 hot zone meets the center left hot zone), who seems to be indulging in that 2k speciality of standing there dribbling till the shot clock expires before jacking up a low percentage but high reward cpu 3.

At the top of the arc is Klay guarding Jimmy butler. I'm guarding Noah, pretty much on the baseline, but on the right side of the paint. I'm basket side of Noah, and I'm happy with how the defence is positioned. Then, for absolutely no reason whatsoever (the bulls aren't running a play, a PnR, or even moving), Klay decides to leave Jimmy Butler open at the top of the arc, to come and guard Noah instead, which is just a crazy move, but then Rose obviously now has an open pass and Butler has a wide open HoF 3. I'm trying to scramble out there to close down but it's an obvious 3. Then I get defensive breakdown for leaving Butler open on the shot.

This has nothing to do with playing the correct defence. It has to do with a completely flawed game mechanism that forces these wanderings and ridiculously unnecessary switches.

I don't have any trouble beating the game on HoF sim, so I'm not whining about it because I'm losing all the time, it's just mind boggling that stuff like this happens, and it desperately needs to be addressed in 2k17.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »