Home

What Exactly makes it where a player just walks off their man?

This is a discussion on What Exactly makes it where a player just walks off their man? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-22-2016, 10:56 PM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: What Exactly makes it where a player just walks off their man?

The players defensive awareness and defensive IQ comes into place on situations like this. If you don't have great defensive player in a certain situation he will do something dumb unless manually controlled
Old 07-23-2016, 07:31 PM   #34
MVP

TUSS11's Arena

OVR: 12

On the subject of rotations, what does the Pre-Rotate option in the defensive settings do?
Old 07-24-2016, 08:52 PM   #35
MVP

raiderphantom's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUSS11
On the subject of rotations, what does the Pre-Rotate option in the defensive settings do?
For me it usually does nothing tbh as many of the def settings don't work consistently in my experience. However, it's supposed to rotate a player over in advance in case your help D is too slow. The negative is that it leaves a weakside shooter open. If you're good at forcing the ball to the side it can be beneficial at times, forcing long cross court passes.

XBLGT: tjor24
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2016, 09:06 PM   #36
MVP

jk31's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Money
The players defensive awareness and defensive IQ comes into place on situations like this. If you don't have great defensive player in a certain situation he will do something dumb unless manually controlled

Nope, i can see the same behaviour for the Tim Duncans, Paul Georges, Danny Greens and so on. Has nothing (or mostly nothing) to do with ratings.

I have a new one: My opponent calls Pick and Roll and then sends his screener away to the basket. Works everytime, because my roll-man defender over comits on hedging on the screen (which never happens). Defensive settings are set to "no hedge".

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderphantom
For me it usually does nothing tbh as many of the def settings don't work consistently in my experience. However, it's supposed to rotate a player over in advance in case your help D is too slow. The negative is that it leaves a weakside shooter open. If you're good at forcing the ball to the side it can be beneficial at times, forcing long cross court passes.
Funny thing is, even if set to "No" the pre-rotating happens many times. The settings just don't work consistently, like you said...
Old 07-25-2016, 01:30 PM   #37
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

What I hate.... Is hat every team does this.

All you have to do is run a pick and roll and the wing defender will always come off his man. Watch as I know it's going to happen smh.

You should be able to stop that guy from leaving his man. But defensive settings are all missed up.
Old 07-25-2016, 03:41 PM   #38
MVP

Black Bruce Wayne's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9
What I hate.... Is hat every team does this.

All you have to do is run a pick and roll and the wing defender will always come off his man. Watch as I know it's going to happen smh.

You should be able to stop that guy from leaving his man. But defensive settings are all missed up.
This happens in the NBA all the time. Thats very realistic. The NBA playoffs had a record number of blowouts, so teams in real life, have this problem.

I dont think the defensive setting are off at all. The setting are a helper not a solution. Like I told the other posters, you are smarter than the CPU AI. You know this happens and you should be able to manually prevent it at times.

I made the effort myself in stopping this by anticipating it. Its not going to work 100 percent of the time. Guys are still going to get open. That is the nature of basketball.

Another thing people are not factoring in is every guy is not a great defender in the real NBA. We see guys like Harden. Remember when Otto Porter just completely lost his man

Now if that happened in 2k, then everyone would say the game is broken but it happened. Some players are bad at defensive and some are good. Shouldnt that be represented in the game? That is realistic.

Again I post the Highlights from game 7 of the NBA Finals. Notice the wide open guys on the perimeter. This is just one example. There are many more. If real life defense in the NBA is bad then why are we asking 2K defenses to be at another level?

There is no team in the NBA playing lockdown defense all 48 minutes. Breakdowns happen. I always ask gamers, Do you want realism in sports games or do you want sports games to have their own reality?

Last edited by Black Bruce Wayne; 07-25-2016 at 03:44 PM.
Old 07-25-2016, 04:01 PM   #39
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Bruce Wayne
This happens in the NBA all the time. Thats very realistic. The NBA playoffs had a record number of blowouts, so teams in real life, have this problem.

I dont think the defensive setting are off at all. The setting are a helper not a solution. Like I told the other posters, you are smarter than the CPU AI. You know this happens and you should be able to manually prevent it at times.

I made the effort myself in stopping this by anticipating it. Its not going to work 100 percent of the time. Guys are still going to get open. That is the nature of basketball.

Another thing people are not factoring in is every guy is not a great defender in the real NBA. We see guys like Harden. Remember when Otto Porter just completely lost his man

Now if that happened in 2k, then everyone would say the game is broken but it happened. Some players are bad at defensive and some are good. Shouldnt that be represented in the game? That is realistic.

Again I post the Highlights from game 7 of the NBA Finals. Notice the wide open guys on the perimeter. This is just one example. There are many more. If real life defense in the NBA is bad then why are we asking 2K defenses to be at another level?

There is no team in the NBA playing lockdown defense all 48 minutes. Breakdowns happen. I always ask gamers, Do you want realism in sports games or do you want sports games to have their own reality?
You write all that for no reason lol

The defense settings need a huge change in what your defenders do off the ball.

You don't have to tell me how real it is because I know.

What I'm simply asking is that we as users should be able to turn off such automatic thing. Some time defender stun off their man and come back. You can't do those kind of defensive settings in 2k16.

edit: What I meant by you writiing all that stuff you just repeated yourself like 5 times in one thread. I already posted a great example of contorlling your defenses rotations. But that was very early in the game before patch one. Now your players get sucked way by the CPU. You see the same kind of defense. Especially when it comes to who to rotate off of. Instead of leaving the worst shooter. Your leaving the best shooter WIDE OPEN.

And I find it funny that you post the NBA Finals of all games. When literally the Cavs were rotating off Green and force him to hit 3's (which he did early on. And went cold in the second half).

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited by jeebs9; 07-25-2016 at 04:15 PM.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:26 PM   #40
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9

Mirotic on Parsons? That's a murder 😭

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »