Home

what's the reason behind no fair difficulty level?

This is a discussion on what's the reason behind no fair difficulty level? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-17-2016, 11:17 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: what's the reason behind no fair difficulty level?

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.Coach2K.com
Problem is everyone that plays NBA2K is at a different skill level so what's hard for one player might be easy for another.

However, since pro has gotten easier for you, you've got the right idea to incrementally increase the difficulty from pro to allstar but probably not the right mindset.

If you want to play at higher levels, ditch the changing sliders idea and play on allstar with simulation sliders. Play at the level until you figure out how to manage the game to your liking and allstar level becomes easy.

You have to change how you approach playing the CPU as you move up in difficulty. This mainly means you have to figure out how to score effectively out of an offense and play solid position defense.

One final point is that you can't let things that happen during the course of the game affect you mentally. Otherwise, you might as well not increase the difficulty level.

A lot of learning how to play the game is having the patience to figure it out.

Slider adjustments are directly related to your playstyle. They aren't a one size fits all thing. Save those for when you have an advanced game and can better understand how to apply them to your game.
yo... thanks for the constructive post. i'll do my best with my approach to all-star.

i get what you mean when you say i can't let it affect me mentally. i love running plays and trying to do things the right way, but when the cpu bs's you so hard, you rage out and just start doing dumb s*** and ask yourself why i'm playing this game at all lol.

4 sure, though - thanks.
Old 07-18-2016, 05:27 PM   #10
Vni
Hall Of Fame

Vni's Arena

OVR: 23

Instead of increasing the difficulty to all star right away you could stay on PRO and increase the difficulty by playing with worse teams against better ones until you get more comfortable.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:56 AM   #11
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Problem is everyone that plays NBA2K is at a different skill level so what's hard for one player might be easy for another.

However, since pro has gotten easier for you, you've got the right idea to incrementally increase the difficulty from pro to allstar but probably not the right mindset.

If you want to play at higher levels, ditch the changing sliders idea and play on allstar with simulation sliders. Play at the level until you figure out how to manage the game to your liking and allstar level becomes easy.

You have to change how you approach playing the CPU as you move up in difficulty. This mainly means you have to figure out how to score effectively out of an offense and play solid position defense.

One final point is that you can't let things that happen during the course of the game affect you mentally. Otherwise, you might as well not increase the difficulty level.

Slider adjustments are directly related to your playstyle. They aren't a one size fits all thing. Save those for when you have an advanced game and can better understand how to apply them to your game.
Coach I want to ask what level do you play on?? And under what setting? Sim or just Normal?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-19-2016, 12:33 PM   #12
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by psydefx
yo... thanks for the constructive post. i'll do my best with my approach to all-star.

i get what you mean when you say i can't let it affect me mentally. i love running plays and trying to do things the right way, but when the cpu bs's you so hard, you rage out and just start doing dumb s*** and ask yourself why i'm playing this game at all lol.

4 sure, though - thanks.
I'd also add that downloading slider sets is great and all, but don't be afraid to change things that you are having trouble with. If the CPU is making a bunch of contested layups on you, turn their contested shot success down. If you can't get around any defenders off the dribble, turn their on-ball defense down. If you can't hit shots, turn your success up. All of us have different skills, so don't be afraid to tune the game to your liking. Now, if you're wanting to play online, it's probably a good idea to not tune things too drastically and basically have to relearn the game every time you get online. But don't hesitate to tweak a few sliders in the areas that are giving you the most trouble.

I hit a wall at Superstar difficulty this year. No matter what I did, I pretty much had to play flawless, and even then, I could only win by 4-5 points. So, I looked at what the problem was. Basically, I couldn't finish layups in traffic nearly as well as the CPU, and the CPU was just flat out hitting too many contested jumpers over me. So I raised my layups from 50 to 54, and lowered their contested shots from 50 to 46. I didn't need a dramatic change. I just needed to finish one or two more layups per game and have the CPU miss one or two extra jumpers per game to even things out. Now the game is right where I like it. If I play well I'll win, and if I don't, I'll get beat.

The point is, if you're seeing a trend occurring over multiple games, don't be afraid to make some subtle tweaks to better fit your skill/play-style. A word of caution though, don't go in the other direction and get obsessed with tweaking sliders. That's a rabbit hole that's really easy to fall into. Identify what areas of the game you need to even things out, make some subtle adjustments, and then just leave it. Try to give any slider set an honest 3-5 games before you think about changing things again.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:59 PM   #13
MVP

Black Bruce Wayne's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:

This is something alot of users just don't get and are not willing to do. Not only patience to learn the game but basketball in general.
Old 07-22-2016, 01:41 PM   #14
Hall of Fame

Coach2K's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrose57
Coach I want to ask what level do you play on?? And under what setting? Sim or just Normal?
I play of hall of fame, 12 minute quarters on simulation sliders for almost all of my gameplay.

Here's a complete walkthrough of my settings from 2k15 which is basically the same as 16 for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T80OobhBLU4

To watch a fictional MyLeague expansion series with more than 90 episodes click here.

Subscribe to Coach2K's YouTube channel by clicking here.

Visit Coach2K.com for my latest articles.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:48 PM   #15
MVP

OVR: 10

Quote:
That's why it's hard to use other people's slider sets, too. It's more than skill level... it's actually different approaches, str/weaknesses. Unless you are one of those dudes who just learns the 'good moves' and follows all of the guides on what to do.

That's wack, to me.

I bet anything this dude has more stick skills than I do, but I know what works in 2k. It's really just about figuring out what works. The good thing about it is that 2k 'teaches you.' They will punish you hard for doing what they feel is the wrong thing (whether it's wrong or not.)

Like everyone said, I'd enjoy seeing a video of him playing. I could give some tips. Even tho I dunno if people take my tips serious cuz I'm not one of the big name dudes. O well.

-Smak
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »