Home

"Drills And Practice" A More Realistic Approach To Player Development

This is a discussion on "Drills And Practice" A More Realistic Approach To Player Development within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-16-2016, 11:09 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 10
"Drills And Practice" A More Realistic Approach To Player Development

First off I would like to ask, why can't we choose what drills we want to do anymore in my career?

Anyway I like the idea of temporary boosts bc you can't just work on your mid range game one time a year and expect to be on point from game to game. Even Steph curry has to warm up and constantly work on his jumper and he is so good at his craft to where ppl think it's genetics vs elite training with elite trainers.......lol

I think 2k has to focus EVEN MORE around practice and drills and continue to add EVEN MORE drills bc some ppl may disagree but I think most badges should be attained through practice/drills bc if it wasn't for that work he put in with his trainer practicing hitting contested jumpers how could you earn the title of a deadeye shooter.

So now how can you base a game more around the most KEY element of being a Lebron james or a stephen curry?

You could go to one of their training sessions and choose a unique exercise they do in one of the areas they are the best at for instance, curry may shoot 1000 jumpers.

NOW THE QUESTION BECOMES how can you come up with creative ways to get ppl to like practice and drills....?

Nobody is going to want to take no 1000 jumpers but let's say you in your my court and you make 40 3pt shots, that will give you a TEMPORARY 4 point boost to your 3 and reward you with release 33 or something like a reward system which made 2k5 so great(you want to hit the court with the book bag on). You unlock signature crossovers as you get better at ball handling and control bc no center should be able to do these quick crossovers UNLESS he has practiced in that way to make that a part of his game.

Same goes for post play, you make 40 hook shots or running hooks in your my player court and get a TEMPORARY 4 point boost in THAT category, you get the picture...

So you can make practice fun ESPECIALLY if you make everything ONLINE MULTIPLAYER.....!! Just like u have some NBA players who workout together to make things competitive.

Of course it may be to late for 2k17, hell it may be next gen talk I'm not sure. I might be thinking making the game to Realistic, cool I'm just throwing it out Some ppl have actually gotten better at real life basketball playing NBA 2k and maybe some vice versa lol(cough) (cheesers)but nonetheless just PLAYING A VIDEO GAME. It's like mental muscle memory I find myself grading my play in real life when I play on some Illuminati type stuff lol. Is this to far off to you?

Bottom line if you stop working on it you lose it. If you stop practicing 3s your 3pt att should drop. No worries tho maybe you want to change your man to inside. You should be able to without creating another build bc. So if you let your 3 go down one bar for not practicing them then u get that upgrade back instead of the concept of maxing a player to a peak and having to create a new player just to make a inside build now. Players are always recreating their game so should be able to with any build we make thru doing the drills and practice to make the type of player we want at anytime.

Last edited by DatGD12guage; 08-18-2016 at 03:13 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2016, 03:13 PM   #2
MVP

MrDubya's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: "Drills And Practice" A More Realistic Approach To Player Development

I like this idea. It could be incorporated in the MyCourt feature like you mentioned. That's a good way to do it I think.

That would be far more fitting and realistic than nonsense like making a center do 3-pointer drills.
Old 08-17-2016, 10:03 AM   #3
DC
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 39

Not sure if you are set on 40 shots, but 40 is too low to get a 4 point increase. That is a big increase for such a little amount of shots.
Old 08-17-2016, 01:36 PM   #4
Rookie

CBAT's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC
Not sure if you are set on 40 shots, but 40 is too low to get a 4 point increase. That is a big increase for such a little amount of shots.
Pretty sure that was just a "for example" situation.

Anyways, I dig the idea.
Old 08-17-2016, 03:37 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 0

I like this model, and think it could extend to game modes such as MyLeague because it would be better than the current training camp model. I've been trying to develop Julius Randle mid-range shot over the last 3 seasons but I can only really do it through the training settings and off-season training camps. It would be totally cool to be able to run drills in MyLeague with any player on practice days and gradually develop certain skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatGD12guage
Nobody is going to want to take no 1000 jumpers
Also, I actually do this when I draft or trade for new players designated as shooters in my system. Traded for Tyler Zeller and I have his shot timing down near perfectly. For me, he's pretty much a guaranteed green release when wide open from a pick n roll at the top of the key now.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2016, 02:40 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 10

The whole thing is making improving your player more fun than aggravating. Upgrading your my player now is more like Boston drill AGAIN?! Now it would be more fun if Boston drill was online multiplayer but there still needs to be more variety and drills that target a specific one area.

All the drills would be better online multiplayer Like that running drill would be fun multiplayer, just add running with a ball and about two ppl to race against and you throw in the reward factor whoever wins maybe gets an item that everybody put up in a bet like Jordans or something but of course everybody will still get the normal speed att boost if that's the drill.

Live is way behind but it was kind of fun upgrading your player bc if I remember correctly there was a reward factor where you were unlocking shoes, accessories and different animations when u reach certain upgrading points.

I think now they could move towards that bc we can invite ppl to your court and it's like your crib . They should just come up with a system where they can add in drills like cod or bf adds maps.

It would really improve 2ks lifespan for miles.

Last edited by DatGD12guage; 08-18-2016 at 02:56 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »