Home

2K's social media relationship with fans conversation with industry guys...

This is a discussion on 2K's social media relationship with fans conversation with industry guys... within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-22-2016, 03:41 PM   #17
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: 2K's social media relationship with fans conversation with industry guys...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckles2k2
It's def a weird game of cat & mouse.

If any outside source has a hand in the game's release (I mean outside of the publisher & developer) I think it would be the league and/or NBAPA (but most likely the league) more than anyone else. "Stock holders" aren't a part of day to day decisions. They just vote on macro issues when asked, & speak volumes with their $$$ (prices of the stock on the market).

Unless they mean the parent company getting it's tentacles into the subsidiary's product (we've already seen this with VC intertwined into nearly every mode in 2K, & an ever so subtle nudge to buy more -- that comes from Take Two >> 2K Sports >> Visual Concepts)

I'm holding firm that the release of info is 90% the marketing team, & 10% [some other factor here] - based on my experience working with a marketing agency rn.

Someone(s) gave the marketing team the scope for the project, & the team feels the best way to hit that mark is by holding back the info that they were given by the devs, & release it much later than normal.

It def caused backlash & we'll probably see a diff strategy next cycle, but that's what it is at it's core.. A strategy. Some are genius, & others are "tha actual **** were you thinking?"

It's just a matter of how the "decision makers"...whoever they are...interpret this entire situation.
yeah i also believe its mostly marketing. i did like the perspective that he brought up. he also took it a step further when he said that, this crazy weird angst and frustration could be seen as a weird positive to one of the decision makers which could lead to even crazier marketing strategies down the line. if thats the case tho, i tap out lol
Old 08-22-2016, 03:44 PM   #18
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

You say a lot of the stuff I dont feel like typing nuck, lol. Going on 13 years in corporate america, 7 years of that dealing with consumer impact...you kind of learn to take the emotional aspect out of a lot of these things...because in reality...theres so much red tape involved in some of the smallest things its ridiculous..
Old 08-22-2016, 07:11 PM   #19
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckles2k2
It's def a weird game of cat & mouse.

If any outside source has a hand in the game's release (I mean outside of the publisher & developer) I think it would be the league and/or NBAPA (but most likely the league) more than anyone else. "Stock holders" aren't a part of day to day decisions. They just vote on macro issues when asked, & speak volumes with their $$$ (prices of the stock on the market).

Unless they mean the parent company getting it's tentacles into the subsidiary's product (we've already seen this with VC intertwined into nearly every mode in 2K, & an ever so subtle nudge to buy more -- that comes from Take Two >> 2K Sports >> Visual Concepts)

I'm holding firm that the release of info is 90% the marketing team, & 10% [some other factor here] - based on my experience working with a marketing agency rn.

Someone(s) gave the marketing team the scope for the project, & the team feels the best way to hit that mark is by holding back the info that they were given by the devs, & release it much later than normal.

It def caused backlash & we'll probably see a diff strategy next cycle, but that's what it is at it's core.. A strategy. Some are genius, & others are "tha actual **** were you thinking?"

It's just a matter of how the "decision makers"...whoever they are...interpret this entire situation.
It's that 10% that officially says when to begin marketing. The marketing team still get their goals from someone above them. Pleasing the stock holders is ALWAYS a priority, because they're the ones who invest in the company. As for the NBA, they may have a drop dead date for Take Two to release a basketball game, but they would have very little influence on the marketing of the game, because... it's not their product. They made their money from selling the NBA license and any possible royalties.

Point blank, the JOB of the marketing team is to sell the product AFTER they get the green light. I can't think of any scenario why a marketing team would have the information AND permission to market a product, but they do nothing. None. I have worked for companies where I knew about new products 3-6 MONTHS before it was marketed to the customer base, but I had to sit on it due to training, confidentiality contracts/clauses, beta feedback, etc.

What kills me about this whole stupid situation is that 2K Sports HAVE been releasing information about the game. Period. Have people tell it, the only thing we know is that there's going to be a NBA 2K17 and that's it. Let's be real, players are more upset about WHAT information was given instead of lack of information.

Last edited by ksuttonjr76; 08-22-2016 at 07:14 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »