Home

Any news on NBA historic teams?

This is a discussion on Any news on NBA historic teams? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-05-2016, 02:05 AM   #73
MVP

MrDubya's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Any news on NBA historic teams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Bruce Wayne
How do you all blame 2k for this? If players wont allow them to use their likeness, what do you want 2k to do? Go to the players house with a gun and make them sign it over, just to make you happy? Do none of you actually think about the process of getting these players in the game? Have you read up on anything about the Jim Brown situation or the Ed Obannon situation? I swear, some of you just say anything.
I agree with a Steelers fan? I am ashamed to admit this.
Old 09-05-2016, 02:13 AM   #74
Pro

Cowboyfan_19's Arena

Quote:
How do you all blame 2k for this? If players wont allow them to use their likeness, what do you want 2k to do? Go to the players house with a gun and make them sign it over, just to make you happy? Do none of you actually think about the process of getting these players in the game? Have you read up on anything about the Jim Brown situation or the Ed Obannon situation? I swear, some of you just say anything.
Nobody's blaming 2k.

I think there's two kind of people in this situation.

1. There's casual people like us that would feel honored to be in a video game, regardless of how companies benefited from.

2. There's big time spoiled athletes who feel privileged to make money every which way they can off playing with a ball.

I understand their reasons for being bitter, but life's not fair, never has been. And those athletes have already made more money and/or fame than any of us will in our lifetimes.

I think the only exception would be that if that particular sport specifically caused the death of an athlete or severely mentally or physically hindered a living one, and the family could simply vote against it.
Old 09-05-2016, 03:38 AM   #75
MVP

Black Bruce Wayne's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboyfan_19
Nobody's blaming 2k.

I think there's two kind of people in this situation.

1. There's casual people like us that would feel honored to be in a video game, regardless of how companies benefited from.

2. There's big time spoiled athletes who feel privileged to make money every which way they can off playing with a ball.

I understand their reasons for being bitter, but life's not fair, never has been. And those athletes have already made more money and/or fame than any of us will in our lifetimes.

I think the only exception would be that if that particular sport specifically caused the death of an athlete or severely mentally or physically hindered a living one, and the family could simply vote against it.
Its not that simple. For example, Charles Barkley and Reggie , two guys we all want in the game, are not with NBA players union anymore because they're broadcasters. In order to get them in the game, they have do separate deals. Players in the union can easily be placed in the game. 2k just pays those fees. Obviously Barkley finally agreed to whatever deal 2K gave him this time. Reggie did not.
It has nothing to do with be honored or spoiled athletes.
Michael Jordan had also stated that he doesn't do any deals unless its around $10 million http://www.complex.com/sports/2015/0...illion-dollars

So im assuming 2K is still paying MJ or paid him that ever since he signed on in 2012.

So, none of this is simple when dealing with retired/historic players. People want to be paid for likenesses.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-05-2016, 04:32 AM   #76
MVP

daveberg's Arena

OVR: 5

Basically it's just players lining their pockets and stroking their ego's.

Surely with all the money they've made over their career's, a small sum for being placed in a game would't be an issue, but no. It's all about the coin with these guys, and that pisses me off. Selfish attitude. (Says the guy constantly wanting his own way with classic teams )

The problem with 2k is that they keep having to remove content due to this issue, yet don't do anything to replace the loss. Not saying they're obliged, but it would be nice if they could compensate.

We just apparently lost Steve Nash, so I would assume the Suns and Mavs will be ditched (Honestly, what's the point of having Phoenix without Steve Nash) so you'd think 2k would look to include another 2 (3 if you count the loss of the 85 Sixers) new teams to fill the void.

For a franchise that adds new stuff every year, 2k severely lack on the legends front.
Old 09-05-2016, 05:51 AM   #77
MVP

Black Bruce Wayne's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveberg
Basically it's just players lining their pockets and stroking their ego's.

Surely with all the money they've made over their career's, a small sum for being placed in a game would't be an issue, but no. It's all about the coin with these guys, and that pisses me off. Selfish attitude. (Says the guy constantly wanting his own way with classic teams )

The problem with 2k is that they keep having to remove content due to this issue, yet don't do anything to replace the loss. Not saying they're obliged, but it would be nice if they could compensate.

We just apparently lost Steve Nash, so I would assume the Suns and Mavs will be ditched (Honestly, what's the point of having Phoenix without Steve Nash) so you'd think 2k would look to include another 2 (3 if you count the loss of the 85 Sixers) new teams to fill the void.

For a franchise that adds new stuff every year, 2k severely lack on the legends front.
All of the old school players haven't made tons of money, especially a lot of the guys from the 80s teams and older. To say someone is lining their pockets because they want compensation for their likeness being used is a strange argument. Its business. Wouldn't you want to paid? I would, especially with your name being attached to a product , helping to sell that product

I do agree that they should not add teams that incomplete.
Old 09-05-2016, 06:03 AM   #78
MVP

daveberg's Arena

Quote:
All of the old school players haven't made tons of money, especially a lot of the guys from the 80s teams and older. To say someone is lining their pockets because they want compensation for their likeness being used is a strange argument. Its business. Wouldn't you want to paid? I would, especially with your name being attached to a product , helping to sell that product

I do agree that they should not add teams that incomplete.
Most of the 'bigger' stars who played probably earned more in one season than I would in years. Plus the key is, they will effectively be being paid for doing nothing - I'd gladly do it.

Are they really going to be that egotistical and turn down several thousand for literally doing nothing other than having their likeness used in a game? Pretty petty from where I'm standing.

Nash for example is worth 9 mil, and he can't reach a financial agreement with 2k just to use his face in a video game? I think that's a poor show.

Webber - 80 mil
Miller - 90 mil
Barkley - 30 mil
(All net worth)

Those guys above have issues with being PAID by a company to be in a game when they have that kind of money??? That's just ridiculous.

Anyhow, no matter how I gripe about this, it won't change. These guys are just about the dollar signs.
Old 09-06-2016, 06:50 AM   #79
MVP

midwestking100's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveberg
Most of the 'bigger' stars who played probably earned more in one season than I would in years. Plus the key is, they will effectively be being paid for doing nothing - I'd gladly do it.

Are they really going to be that egotistical and turn down several thousand for literally doing nothing other than having their likeness used in a game? Pretty petty from where I'm standing.

Nash for example is worth 9 mil, and he can't reach a financial agreement with 2k just to use his face in a video game? I think that's a poor show.

Webber - 80 mil
Miller - 90 mil
Barkley - 30 mil
(All net worth)

Those guys above have issues with being PAID by a company to be in a game when they have that kind of money??? That's just ridiculous.

Anyhow, no matter how I gripe about this, it won't change. These guys are just about the dollar signs.
But i thought barkley said that money wasnt an issue in terms of 2k using his likeness That the reason why is because he doesnt like how the nba is treating their retirees because of health care?
Old 09-06-2016, 07:49 AM   #80
MVP

daveberg's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestking100
But i thought barkley said that money wasnt an issue in terms of 2k using his likeness That the reason why is because he doesnt like how the nba is treating their retirees because of health care?
He did indeed say that, though you could say his actual gripe is with the league, not a video game company, so I don't understand why he wouldn't just sign on the dotted line. I know it's about principles but c'mon, Chuck.

And to be honest, when they say it isn't about money, I tend not to believe it. The way Pippen and Jabbar went about their business in terms of getting an agreement with 2k says a lot. I know Pip was broke, but to be allegedly asking for MJ sort of cash.....c'mon man.

I dunno, I'm kinda getting to the stage now where I'm accepting that we just won;t get what we want in terms of the legends. Only way around this whole mess is to go back to 2k14 and play the UBR.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »