Home

Let's Talk Online Lag...

This is a discussion on Let's Talk Online Lag... within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-05-2016, 03:58 PM   #17
Hall of Fame

Coach2K's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Let's Talk Online Lag...

I don't think we can lay all online lag at the feet of 2K servers.

Many people have subpar connections as well everyone in their entire family on the net at the same time watching Netflix, YouTube and everything else while they are not only trying to play but stream as well. Not much 2K can do about someone overloading their connection.

My son has played a ton of Battlefield and experienced lag there so it's not immune from it.

I've played a ton of 12 minute quarter games of NBA2K and lag does happen from time to time but it isn't a huge problem.

I tend to experience more lag in the games against people I don't know.

That's not to say that 2K doesn't have issues with online though. I experience lag here and there and disconnects happen more than they should and it could of course be better.

But whether it was 2K or the person getting beat getting ticked and quitting and just blaming it on 2K servers is debatable sometimes.

People quitting because they don't want to lose is more of a problem in 2K than lag.

To watch a fictional MyLeague expansion series with more than 90 episodes click here.

Subscribe to Coach2K's YouTube channel by clicking here.

Visit Coach2K.com for my latest articles.

Last edited by Coach2K; 09-05-2016 at 04:02 PM.
Old 09-05-2016, 04:06 PM   #18
MVP

alabamarob's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.Coach2K.com
I don't think we can lay all online lag at the feet of 2K servers.

Many people have subpar connections as well everyone in their entire family on the net at the same time watching Netflix, YouTube and everything else while they are not only trying to play but stream as well. Not much 2K can do about someone overloading their connection.

My son has played a ton of Battlefield and experienced lag there so it's not immune from it.

I've played a ton of 12 minute quarter games of NBA2K and lag does happen from time to time but it isn't a huge problem.

I tend to experience more lag in the games against people I don't know.

That's not to say that 2K doesn't have issues with online though. I experience lag here and there and disconnects happen more than they should and it could of course be better.

But whether it was 2K or the person getting beat getting ticked and quitting and just blaming it on 2K servers is debatable sometimes.

People quitting because they don't want to lose is more of a problem in 2K than lag.
I agree with coach. 2k has server issues. But, in game lag is player dependant for me. If i play someone with a good connection there is no lag.

Youtube: 2k Hawks

Settings I play on.
Minutes: 12
Difficulty: HOF
Online or Offline player: Both
In a MLO: Yes
Old 09-05-2016, 04:46 PM   #19
Rookie

lvnba's Arena

OVR: 0

Yeah...player dependant...

And for that reason lag is almost non-existent in other top games...

Old 09-05-2016, 05:45 PM   #20
MVP

OVR: 3

Of course the connection matters, but i played with the same people ive played countless ProAm games with. The matches ive played of Battlefield with 60 plus players running around were FAR smoother and more responsive than anything ive played online with 2k including 3 on 3 in a MyCourt.
Old 09-05-2016, 06:15 PM   #21
Pro

NoLeafClover's Arena

I believe 2K use a P2P matchmaking setup for most of their online modes in which one player serves as the "host" while the other player(s) are the guests. Obviously then your lag will depend on how well you match up geographically with the host as well as things like your own net connection, whether someone is using YouTube on your network, etc.

It's different to games like Battlefield in which there's a bunch of dedicated servers that you can pick from with the lowest ping, in which all the server does is serve as the host of the game.

Of course seeing 2K basically never tell us about their technical aspects it could be wrong, but you can notice it just by being in Mypark and launching a game when you are standing on the "home team" (host) dots vs. the "away team" non-host dots.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-05-2016, 07:24 PM   #22
Pro

NoLeafClover's Arena

Oh and lag is one of the things that concerns me most given the switch to "timing" layups, as trying to score inside was generally the go-to for when your connection was laggy instead of relying on jump shots.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:24 PM   #23
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

That's what kills me about this argument. How can you have "lag" using the controller, but it's not visually apparent on the screen?

When I play online it's visually no different than my offline play. Button delay is really what everyone is talking about which doesn't matter whether you have bad or good internet. Hence, button delay should be the same whether it's offline or online. The game is not coded differently.

Are people using the same game speed as online? I play my girlfriend's son offline, and he likes to increase the game speed to 75. It's a night and day difference in the button responses compares to the on screen action.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:49 PM   #24
Rookie

I really can't complain about the lag in 16 but I would say about after ever 10 games on myteam best believe ur going to lag in a game mypark and proam only lag a bit for me

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »